Breaking News - PM Calls for General Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on what you want to go into coalition government for. The Lib Dems were facilitators for Cameron’s austerity shitshow and did nothing to rein in the Tory party civil war over Europe which resulted in the EU referendum. This was a party in Government and did absolutely nothing to rail in the Conservatives, did nothing to deserve another single vote again, ever. Simply to have a couple of cabinet positions was enough. Not nearly good enough considering the hot air Clegg and co spouted before the election about being a real alternative.

As Farron indicated, he would happily go into coalition with the Conservatives again, why anyone would then give their vote to the Lib Dems god only knows. And besides this, Farron has distinctly ropy views on gay rights and abortion.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: This was a party in Government and did absolutely nothing to rail in the Conservatives, did nothing to deserve another single vote again, ever. Simply to have a couple of cabinet positions was enough. Not nearly good enough considering the hot air Clegg and co spouted before the election about being a real alternative.
      To be fair, they did manage to push and agree to the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, ensuring future stability. Now ditched, of course.

Comment

It depends on terms obviously.

Jez has dodgy views on the EU. At least Farron won't whip in support of his views on gay rights.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Labour voting for this election. Unbelievable.
          Corbyn hardly had a choice - imagine being pilloried as the Opposition leader who backed away from an election?

Comment

Time for this imaginary party to start kicking ass:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/stop-brexit-election-vote-new-party-beat-labour-ukip-polls-eu-referendum-a7376306.html

Pie-in-the-sky stuff, I know...

Comment

Diable Rouge wrote:
              Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
              Labour voting for this election. Unbelievable.
              Corbyn hardly had a choice - imagine being pilloried as the Opposition leader who backed away from an election?
              She's won every Brexit vote easily. She is lying her arse off about the need for it.

She's wasting Article 50 time too.

Comment

Very cute from the Tories with the timing. Just after Theresa May has looked decisive in pushing through Article 50, but before it's had time to go tits up.

I said in a post on here after Trump's victory that the best hope Corbyn has is based on Trump and the EU Referendum, since pollsters rely on being able to compare their information with past precedents. Trump was a major anomaly as a candidate and the Referendum only had something in 1975 to compare with, so I thought Corbyn might be difficult for polls to predict as well.

The more I've thought about it since, the less I believe it. The left tends to be much easier to predict than the right because of the sheer number of right-wing people who keep their opinions to themselves.

Comment

It's not. Farron wouldn't be my MP.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Labour voting for this election. Unbelievable.
                    What choice did they have? If they said no and Brexit turns the country to shit, the Tories can say they tried to have a referendum on their mandate vis a vis an election. If they say yes, and the Tories win, May can claim that the people have spoken not once, but twice and gave her the marching orders.

Comment

She needs to call an election now, because it's going to 2 years of getting her head kicked in on a weekly basis by the EU and external reality. She needs to establish some internal authority over the brexit lunatics, because she is going to have to eat a constant diet of shit sandwiches if the UK is going to get anywhere near starting negotiating a trade deal. And that's going to be one enormous stinking shit sandwich.

Anyway, this is still the titanic god damn it, and the deck is tilting much slower than the alarmists predicted, so this is a good time to fight over deckchairs.

Comment

Lucky the Opposition have got across this point. Oh hang on.

McDonnell was talking about spun king loads more on pensions this week. Pensioners went "That's nice. Now fuck off IRA man".

Comment

Guy, this thread would benefit from a more specific title.

Comment

McDonnell was talking about spun king loads more on pensions this week. Pensioners went "That's nice. Now fuck off IRA man".
                            That's good.

Comment

The election will primarily be fought on attitudes towards Brexit. Labour will find it hard to make much progress on any of their potentially strong positions (the NHS, social care, spending restrictions generally) but they don't have much of a choice, because on the main subject of the vote their position is a hopeless one. The Conservatives will sweep up the bulk of their traditional vote, UKIP returnees, non-aligned hard Brexiteers, those that feel that they need to back the government for the sake of the "national interest" along with people who can't abide Corbyn or see him as a PM. The Liberals will swing hard for the Remain vote, though what they can achieve in the Commons with even a substantial increase in their MP representation will be limited by the decimation of Labour.

I can't really see any sort of credible hand that Labour can play. Their only hope is that what's left of their vote stays solid and that Tory Remainers flock to the Liberals in their millions. I reckon a couple of hundred thousands at most.

Anyway, we're probably missing the bigger picture here. Who does Putin want to win?

Comment

don't be so bloody lazy. we're not going to read the London Evening Standard for you.

Comment

I'm intrigued by the concept of a "spun king"

Does Campbell or Blair hold the title?

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: I'm intrigued by the concept of a "spun king"

That's the Tories.

Been screwing the country for decades.

Comment

Stephen Milligan FTW.

Comment

I'll just chip in some fun facts from elections guru Matt Singh:

- local elections in May and general in June is a Thatcheresque approach, mirroring 1983 and 1987
                                        - this will be the first election since 1987 where the Conservatives are actually forecast to win a majority

Comment

Could be a few interesting NI constituencies - Alliance have a decent chance of winning East Belfast back off the DUP, South Antrim went UUP last time, but will probably revert to the DUP, and Fermanagh-South Tyrone could go back to SF if nationalist turnout is as high as occurred in March.

Comment

Also it will be five elections in a row in which the Tories increase their number of seats (albeit 2001 was a gain of only one seat compared to 1997).

Comment

I think Bernard "Hillsborough" Ingham was the first high profile spinner. He's still alive, so he can keep his throne for now.

We're all kings of spun now. We can literally all see what the lines are going to be from here.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote:
                                                I can't wait for the Graun's tortured justifications in coming out for the Lib Dems in this election
                                                How about "Brexit is a disaster for Britain and the most important political (mis-)step by this country for a generation, the Tories are for it and Labour have totally failed to oppose it." Works for me. I've never been so motivated for a party in my life as I am now for the Lib Dems.
                                                Yeah. I'm a long way from this (though visiting UK during the run in.) But if you're opposed to Brexit in principle — and a hard Brexit in particular — then don't the the Lib-Dems seem a logical choice? They won't win, but official opposition may not be out of the question.

Comment

The LD's as official opposition?
                                                  They'll do well to get half of the SNP seats, which realistically won't happen.

Comment

WOM wrote: Guy, this thread would benefit from a more specific title.
                                                    When it started I didn't know what it would be...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X