Breaking News - PM Calls for General Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing that the Lib Dems could benefit from this if they play it sensibly.

Comment

Lucy Waterman wrote: Any predictions?

CON: 380-390
      LAB: 180
      LIB DEM: 18
      SNP: 53
      Ha, you've reminded me of the game we had last time - lowest score (the winner) was Mr Beast.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1brto4b1arqOTyXa7AG1NaV8Nw05RWKtAsPqsFaXSrgg/edit?usp=sharing

Comment

Will there be any last-minute attempted deselections for Labour before the poll?

Comment

Is Gorton now in hiatus, or does the by-election go ahead?

Comment

It turns out "now is the time" after all.
            A bitter and divisive General Election on June 8th, the perfect hors d'oeuvre for the main course at Hampden two days later.
            That'll be sure to cement the coming together of our "family of nations" that the delusional old bag thinks is happening.
            I hope this backfires on her "bigly", but I fear the worst (in England & Wales at least).

Comment

Guy - I think the by-election goes ahead?

Comment

Flynnie wrote: Lay me down the most plausible scenario in which the Tories fuck this up. I can't think of one, but surely it must exist. Massive turnout amongst the yoof for the most likely anti-Brexit candidate in their constituency?
                That would be great but I really can't see that happening. The levels of political apathy, disengagement and depoliticisation amongst the youth are unprecedented (ditto the general population of course but most 65 year-olds + at least make the effort to cast a ballot, not terribly wisely it has to be said but that's a different matter. I wish the youth did the same).

Comment

Assuming the GE becomes a de facto second Brexit referendum, where does Labour stand now? We've seen some MPs calling for a second referendum, others wanting to remain in the Single Market, and more still (Hoey et al) backing a Hard Brexit. Throw in support for the Article 50 vote, but reserving the right to reject the final deal, and it all appears somewhat of a muddle.

Comment

It's Scotland v England in the WCQ two days after the election.....

Comment

Could Labour, after a sudden return to sense, say vote for us if you hate Brexit? And after gaining a majority, prevent it from happening? Far-fetchted?

Comment

Lucy Waterman wrote: Guy - I think the by-election goes ahead?
                        There's mechanisms for stopping parliamentary elections, so presumably one of them will come into play here. I remember a seat in Staffordshire being delayed in 2005 (?) after a candidate died. Perhaps moving the writ for the general election will override the writ for the by election.

Comment

Kev7 wrote:
                          Originally posted by Flynnie
                          Lay me down the most plausible scenario in which the Tories fuck this up. I can't think of one, but surely it must exist. Massive turnout amongst the yoof for the most likely anti-Brexit candidate in their constituency?
                          That would be great but I really can't see that happening. The levels of political apathy, disengagement and depoliticisation amongst the youth are unprecedented (ditto the general population of course but most 65 year-olds + at least make the effort to cast a ballot, not terribly wisely it has to be said but that's a different matter. I wish the youth did the same).
                          I can't either, OTOH it's really the youth's last chance to stop something they don't want, which is Brexit. If ever there was a day to bother, this is it.

The problem is Labour's muddled message makes it very difficult to see some sort of Popular Front against Brexit, because people will not be sure their local Labour candidate will stop the idiocy. And the Lib dems are just too weak to pick up 200 seats in one go.

Comment

The thread nervously awaits the first contribution of Tubby, a.k.a. the Jinxmeister.

Comment

Kev7 wrote:
                              Originally posted by Flynnie
                              Lay me down the most plausible scenario in which the Tories fuck this up. I can't think of one, but surely it must exist. Massive turnout amongst the yoof for the most likely anti-Brexit candidate in their constituency?
                              That would be the Liberal Democrats. Who did have a lot of yoof support... until they fucked them over tuition fees. And now they have nearly none.

Academics will have long careers studying the tactical mistakes of Labour and the Lib Dems in the last decade. There is so much material to look at.

Comment

Meanwhile Stephen Kinnock appears on Sky News and refuses to state his support for Corbyn.

But, apparently, it is Jeremy who is the problem.

Comment

I can't wait for the Graun's tortured justifications in coming out for the Lib Dems in this election. Toynbee's going to be a hoot as well.

Comment

Bit of digging* tells me that a by election can be countermanded by the returning officer if a general election is called in the meantime. Last time it happened was in 1924.

*looked on Wikipedia

Comment

If the by election is cancelled, how does suddenly having your election period extended by a month (in Gorton) affect spending rules?

I realise this is possibly the least pressing question to ask today.

Comment

If the by election is cancelled, how does suddenly having your election period extended by a month (in Gorton) affect spending rules?

I realise this is possibly the least pressing question to ask today.

(But it stops me from thinking about the prospect of a Seumas-penned Labour manfesto).

Comment

I, for one, eagerly anticipate the latest frog memes, Russian trolls and Cambridge Analytica input into this most welcome Second Referendum.

Comment

Could Labour, after a sudden return to sense, say vote for us if you hate Brexit? And after gaining a majority, prevent it from happening? Far-fetchted?
                                            ha ha ha. Corbyn and McDonnell? ha ha ha

Comment

I can't wait for the Graun's tortured justifications in coming out for the Lib Dems in this election
                                              How about "Brexit is a disaster for Britain and the most important political (mis-)step by this country for a generation, the Tories are for it and Labour have totally failed to oppose it." Works for me. I've never been so motivated for a party in my life as I am now for the Lib Dems.

Comment

Good luck with that

Comment

That's what third parties do. Go into coalitions.

The problem is how they say they'll handle Labour. "Vote Farrow, Get Corbyn" is a killer. Go into coalition with Labour if Jez steps down,

Comment

Labour voting for this election. Unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X