J. Geils dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Geils dead.

Aged 71. I am not sure I have much more to add apart from I think that I preferred "Freeze Frame" to "Centrefold". I have also found out that he put out a single called "Must of Got Lost" which makes my eyes itch.

J. Geils dead.

I'd have gone with 'His blood runs cold'

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Have to agree with Ray here.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Thirded. Sort your shit out, Bored, will you?

Comment

J. Geils dead.

J. Geils must have been the most invisible band leader ever to have a band named after him.

I mean The J. Geils Band was Peter Wolf's, in all but name. He was the front-man, songwriter, (sometime) manager and got to marry Faye Dunaway. J. Geils did none of those things, he just played OK guitar. I can't think of another instance where that's been the case. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers? That was more like a finishing school for musicians. I guess The Steve Miller Band was a bit like the J. Geils Band when Boz Scaggs was still a member, but it gained a separate identity later. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

He's been dead for two bloody days. If you were that bothered, you would have started a cleverly titled thread yourselves!

Comment

J. Geils dead.

J Ghouls Band

Comment

J. Geils dead.

As a kid, I absolutely loved Centrefold the first time I heard it. I even had a piece of paper, which I found years later, where I'd written 'Jay Giles band' after the DJ announced the name so I'd know what single to look for.

I remember, when I still read Road & Track, a big article they did on J Geils living out in the wilds of Maine or Vermont, restoring and repairing classic cars. It was his real love in many ways.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

*ignore - twat*

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Jay Beguiles Band

Comment

J. Geils dead.

When I was about 8, we visited the sand dunes in Colorado. Because it got so hot, we had to get there around 6am. We stopped in a diner, with 3 locals at various tables. It kinda looked like this place.

It was so still and quiet that each footstep shook the walls and felt like a banging pot. My mother had a leg brace from having polio as a child, and it clunked and clanked as she quietly walked up to the counter and ordered breakfast. We all stood silently, because any noise was absolutely jarring. After a minute or two of no noise other than sizzling eggs and bacon, I realized I had a few quarters in my pocket and there was a jukebox. I quietly flipped the song list cards, and saw one of my favorite songs: Freeze Frame.

Nothing was happening. We were all just standing there, a bunch of trucker hat-wearing fu-manchu-mustached denim-jacket mirror sunglass-eyed pickup truck drivers staring into the sunrise and sipping their coffee while a cigarette streamed up smoked on their vinyl ash tray, sitting and standing in the morning silence.

I flicked a quarter, it clanged into the jukebox. I pushed the letter-number combo for Freeze Frame. The loader arm searched for the disc, flicked it on the spinner, and the needle hit the record.

Daa....DAA- DEEE-DEEE DAAH-DUHHDAAAHDEE-DOOO....
                      Daa....DEE-DEEEE-DEEE DAAH-DUH-DUH-DAAAH-DAAAH...
                      All the old men turned their heads and stared.
                      This jukebox was louder than a fucking Judas Priest concert.
                      Then the trumpets started.
                      BAAAAAAA - BAAA-DAAA-BAAA-BAAA-BAAA....
                      My mom started screaming "what are you doing?!! You don't play rock and roll music in the morning!!!!" She waddled as fast as she could, grabbed my arm and ripped me out of there without even getting our food.

I had 3 more songs. I always wondered what the natives thought of "Eye of the Tiger."

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Hahaha.
                        Another contender for POTY from JV, there.

I always thought Freeze Frame was a bit, well, daft and Centrefold was just creepy.
                        The NA NA NA NA NA's boil my head too.
                        A local covers band do it too and it makes my teeth itch.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Centrefold was just creepy.

The vid particularly. The schoolgirl/cheerleader/pin-up juxtaposition wouldn't fly in many places these days. But the past was a quite different country.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Gruesome, isn't it? Got away with it at the time over here because we were all still a bit bedazzled by music videos that they were probably showing on MTV.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

I'm in agreement with most about Centerfold (sic). It was a ghastly moment - even for 35 years ago. And any band that titles a song Must Of Got Lost (sic, again) can f*** right off, frankly.

But, you know, RIP and all that.

Bordeaux Education wrote: He's been dead for two bloody days. If you were that bothered, you would have started a cleverly titled thread yourselves!
                              You get quite upset about this kind of thing, eh?

Comment

J. Geils dead.

That quote from my takes on an odd twist in the context of Easter.

Have you turned Canadian, Jah?

Seconded on the "Must Of Got Lost"

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Bordeaux Education wrote:

Have you turned Jamaican, mon?

Comment

J. Geils dead.

The phony disgust and lack of awareness have made Centerfold into a standard for drag kings and [strike]strippers with a college degree[/strike] burlesque artists. The line about flashing her baby blues goes down a treat.

I hope that when this issue's gone / I'll see you when your clothes are on

Ha ha. So terrible.

Do any other pop records mention a negligée?

Comment

J. Geils dead.

I would imagine so, laverte. There must be at least a Pulp song - the word has such strong rhyming potential.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

The stone cold classic 'Love Machine' by Girls Aloud does, obvs.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

What would the neighbours say?!

Comment

J. Geils dead.

Ahh, the silver knives are flashing in that tired old cafe
                                            A ghost climbs on the table in bridal negligee
                                            She says, "My body is the light, she says, My body is the way"
                                            I raise my arm against it all and I catch the bride's bouquet.

Leonard Cohen — 'The Gypsy's Wife.'

There's a satin sky above, it's in view in the blue, a bed for a velvet moon.
                                            There's a mountain made of mist, featherbed in the glen, caressing the velvet moon.
                                            I see the Milky Way her negligee a vision of sheer delight, filled with white,
                                            And there upon her breasts a necklace of stars that enchant the night

Tommy Dorsey w/Frank Sinatra — 'Velvet Moon'

Comment

J. Geils dead.

WOM wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Bordeaux Education

Have you turned Jamaican, mon?
                                              Very good.

You bastard.

Comment

J. Geils dead.

I love you in your negligee
                                                I love you in your nightie
                                                But when moonlight flits
                                                Across your tits
                                                By Christ, al-fucking-mighty

Spike Milligan