Saharan sun and the Sundowns - CAF Champions League 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The African Champions League has progressed to its new (last 16) Group stage, and it has a very familiar feel this year. Holders Mamelodi Sundowns will be in there, and will probably be the only sub-Saharan team who will get a seeding, as North African heavyweights Zamalek and Al-Ahly from Cairo, Etoile du Sahel, Esperance du Tunis, Wydad Casablanca, Al-Hilal from Omdurman and USM Alger have all also qualified. Vita Kinshasa and Coton Sport (from Cameroon) probably represent the best chances (aside from Sundowns) for a sub-Saharan team, but either would be an upset.

Good to see you sir

We missed you for the Masters

Comment

The big shocks of the group stages came when FIFA suspended Sudan, meaning Al Merrikh's likely quarter final place was handed to Ferrovario Beira from Mozambique. That will be their first continental quarter-final. Also through to a first quarter-final are Al-Ahli Tripoli, through after Zamalek suffered a shock defeat to CAPS in Harare. The rest of the lineup are more familiar - Wydad Casablanca, Al-Ahly, Esperance, Mamelodi Sundowns, Etoile de Sahel and USM Alger.

Comment

I had one eye on the second half of the quarter-final second leg in a hotel bar full of Al-Ahly fans in Hurghada. Quite an experience, especially as Ahly turned round a 3-2 aggregate half time deficit to beat Esperance in Tunis. The semi finals will be all North African affairs - Ahly are joined by Etoile, USM Alger and Wydad so neatly one club from each country.

Comment

First leg of the final was 1-1. Second leg is in Casablanca tomorrow as Wydad take on Al-Ahly. I'd like to see Wydad win - partly for novelty's sake as Ahly have won this 6 times already this century, and partly because Wydad means "Love".
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-11-2017, 17:29.

Comment

I got my wish - Wydad won 1-0 in what sounds quite a dour affair, after the fireworks of the first 15 minutes of the first leg in Cairo. Wydad now go to the FIFA World Club Cup where they will face Pachuca, with the winners then playing the Libertadores winners. There will be added incentive for Wydad to take their chance on the world stage - in 2013 their rivals Raja reached the final of the Club World Cup as the host country's representatives.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-11-2017, 08:19.

Comment

Working...
            X