No announcement yet.

County cricket 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Yorkshire v Surrey in the one day thingy on Tuesday. Good crowd for as much as you can have a day-night game in Yorkshire in mid-June.

Sangakkara scored a run a ball 121. Lovely to watch, offered a half chance early in his innings then after that a ton seemed inevitable. His cover drive just after reaching a century was absolutely delicious. Surrey's total seemed a bit above par given a slow outfield, Yorkshire struggled to hit boundaries, they knocked it around at five an over but every time they tried to accelerate we lost a wicket. Surrey did bowl well, their bowlers have a number of variations, particularly impressed by Tom Curran.

Jade Dernbach has a lot of banter. As a consequence there was a huge cheer when he dropped a catch.

Comment

After last seasons awfulness at Trent Bridge, I'm throughly enjoying this season. Notts victory at Essex in the RLC semifinal was freakin awesome.

Comment

Blade Runner sequel arrives a couple of months early
        Last edited by Haddock; 17-06-2017, 22:44.

Comment

First set of day-night matches, and the pink ball is wreaking havoc.

Durham are 18 for 5, and wickets are falling all over the country.

Comment

The Durham one looks a bit of an outlier really, Kent are the only other team who are more than 2 down.

Comment

I think that there was one match in which a wicket hadn't fallen in the first 8 overs, so perhaps the (non-Durham and Kent) batsmen are getting used to it.

Comment

At least two, as there are two matches where a wicket is still to fall.

The pink ball hasn't significantly misbehaved in previous matches, so I'd have been surprised if it was causing havoc today - plus it'd make Glamorgan's one wicket against Derbyshire less positive.

Comment

First millennial in the County Championship today - Hamidullah Qadri of Derbyshire, born 5th December 2000. That's the same week as when England beat Pakistan in Karachi in what became the day-night Test.

Yorkshire aren't wreaking havoc with the pink ball either, though apparently Rory Burns has played and missed at a lot.

Comment

Essex have had a good first day against Middlesex, Harmer with the ball then Cook with the bat.

Comment

No play at Chelmsford yesterday. Essex are going to have to bat their way into a big first innings lead today if play resumes, and hope there's enough time to get Middlesex all out again if they're to win this.

Comment

https://twitter.com/EssexCricket/status/880048603452002304

Comment

Cook departed on 193, Browne on 221. They set an Essex record opening partnership of 373.

Declared at 542/3 (as Chopra made 100) but didn't take any Middlesex wickets. Will they finish the job tomorrow?

Comment

Cook apparently dropped a very simple catch. Middlesex are three down as they try to avoid defeat but Compton and Stirling sound like they could stick around.

Comment

Yorkshire-Surrey abandoned.

Comment

I have spent the last two hours refreshing a Nottingham weather report. I just don't understand people who don't get cricket

Comment

Qadri takes a five-fer on debut to win the match for Derbyshire! Fantastic. 14 when they last won a 4 day game?

Comment

Going to the wire in Chelmsford...

Comment

With time and overs running out, they decided to put the finish on periscope.

https://twitter.com/EssexCricket/status/880513956393005058

Scenes! Essex take the final two wickets right at the death to beat the champions by an innings and 34.

Comment

I realise that I'm out of touch with cricket but the B&H finishes tomorrow? Has it always had the final this early?

Actually. Is there only the 50 over and 2020 one day comps left? No 40 or 60 overs?
                                        Last edited by Levin; 30-06-2017, 15:57.

Comment

The last few years it's been mid-September. The 2014 and 2015 competitions didn't even start until the end of July.

Comment

There's not been a 40 or 60 over tournament for years. Sacrificed on the altar of England's international performance, with the rationale that England only play 20 and 50 over games, so no point playing anything else at county level, although the 40 over version was a popular one with the public.

Comment

Cor.

So there is no big end of season showpiece?

I'm never going to forget the ball rising and rising and coming towards me when Neil Smith hit that six against Middlesex. And then leaving the ground and driving home in the dark. It was so unlikely, sixes never happened, and in the last over of a final? Sorry, I distracted myself there.

The season for a county side is;
                                              the championship which runs through the season.
                                              50 over competition from March to June
                                              20 overs july to end of season.

Is that is? That's hardly any cricket.

Thinking about this has brought back some lovely memories of watching Warks with my family. I've lived within a walk of the Oval for ten years now and not gone. Mostly that's because I don't like Surrey but looking at the next couple of months there are 4 T20 games on Sundays and 2 KSL sunday games and one on a saturday.

6 out of 18 weekend days with things to go and watch. Championship games seem to run Monday to Thursday. I have a job, I can't watch that. If I had children I couldn't take them to a county game.

Sorry, you know this already.

Comment

Surrey made a decent looking 297.
                                                Notts 91-2 after 12.5, with Hales having scored an implausible 75* of them.

Comment

Hales still playing it as a lone hand. 162* out of 226-5.

Comment

Wow, that's a big innings.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X