No announcement yet.

County cricket 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which he does. Somerset v Middlesex now the pivotal game. Northants could still nick a promotion spot too, which would be great

Comment

So am I right that Yorkshire can only be relegated if Somerset beat Middlesex, but Middlesex get four more bonus points than Yorkshire, and Yorkshire are also overtaken by Hampshire?

Which means that five bonus points will ensure the White Rose county's safety.
      Last edited by Kevin S; 25-09-2017, 07:19.

Comment

Assuming no over rate deductions or anything Somerset and Middlesex can both still reach 151 points - Somerset win and both sides claim full bonus points. Hampshire can get past that figure with either a win or a draw with seven bonus points. Yorkshire would be safe if they can reach 151 as they would finish ahead of Middlesex on number of wins. So Yorkshire need six points from the game, either via bonus points or a very heavily rain affected affair.

In reality I suspect Somerset will do their best to produce a result pitch at Taunton so the bonus points in that game will end up being reduced. Also expect there will be someone present from the ECB to stop either side declaring as a tactical measure - if Somerset win it may come down to a straight shoot out between them and Middlesex as to who gets most bonus points in the match.

Comment

Cheers longeared. A light drizzle over Chelmsford at the moment but the four days on the whole are set to be fairly dry I think.

Comment

Essex 84/5 vs Yorkshire (lunch)
            Somerset 93/1 vs Middlesex
            Warwickshire v Hampshire yet to start

Yorks the only one of the four with any points on the board today, and are a wicket away from a second point.

Comment

Somerset's run rate is 3.08 from the first 35 overs. To get to 400 after 110 overs they would now need to average 3.9 for the next 75 overs.

Comment

What Yorkshire fans need here is a period of sustained pressure from the Middlesex bowlers that keeps the run rate down, but doesn't take wickets. And with two runs off the last two overs, that's what seems to be happening.

Somerset RRR now 3.97 for maximum batting points.

(Edit - I should note that the RRR from the word go to hit 400 in 110 overs is 3.64, so they're not too far off.)
                Last edited by Kevin S; 25-09-2017, 12:37.

Comment

Trescothick gone.

Comment

Somerset RR so far now 2.87, leaving a RRR of 4.09 to hit 400.

Comment

Middlesex earn their first bowling point. Somerset 165/3 after 53 overs, so they could be on for hitting the 350 mark and four of the five batting points, which would reduce Yorkshire's safety requirement to five points.

Comment

Actually, no. Somerset, if they win, would have the same number of wins as Yorkshire but fewer defeats. So Yorkshire need to have more points than Somerset to finish above them. As you were.

Comment

Meanwhile in Chelmsford, no wickets for Yorkshire in the last 15 overs as ten Doeschate and Foster build a partnership for Essex.

Comment

Yorkshire now have their second bowling point.

Somerset are below the run rate required for 350 now. To hit that score they need to average 3.65 for overs 68 to 110, so more likely they are looking set for the 300-349 band, and three batting points.
                            Last edited by Kevin S; 25-09-2017, 14:28.

Comment

Wagner goes and Essex are 183/8.

Comment

Somerset have a splendid collapse, are all out for 236 and Yorkshire are mathematically safe.

Comment

Somerset have collapsed. Only one batting point earned, so a maximum of 20 possible from the match. That would give them 147 total so Yorkshire need three points only now.

One more wicket and they are safe.

Comment

Somerset are all out for 236 so only have one batting point and can therefore only get 20 points from the match. Yorkshire's two bowling points mean they move on to 147 which Somerset can only equal if they win. So I make it that Yorkshire are safe on the basis of having fewer defeats.
                                    Last edited by Capybara; 25-09-2017, 15:41.

Comment

Ah, am I miscounting again?

Comment

Somerset have fewer defeats.

Comment

Haha, no they don't, I'm reading the columns the wrong way around!

Yeah, Yorks are safe then.

Comment

The table I'm looking at (on the BBC) has Somerset on six defeats to Yorkshire's four.

Comment

Yep, my mistake.

Comment

And even if Somerset had fewer defeats, they would still have to win this one with Middlesex getting all eight bonus points which would mean winning after Middlesex had posted 400 in their first innings which is unlikely. Phew! I think.

Comment

Somerset now need to win while bowling Middlesex out for less than 200. Middlesex have lost one wicket already. A win with an emphatic defeat (6 bonus points or fewer) for Hampshire would also do the trick.

Comment

Middlesex 5/3

Comment

Working...
                                                    X