Local elections 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local elections 2017

Well the Greens are fairly hamstrung by the world's worst democratic electoral system in England at least. Where there are forms of PR like Scotland and Korea, they have done well at Parliament/Assembly level, and should (at least in Scotland) improve on their 2012 levels in the locals.

Labour aren't a failing dysfunctional depressing mess in comparison to UKIP maybe. But they are a fucking disaster compared to the strangely disciplined (considering they are the fuckers really divided over Brexit type) Tories, Nats, even the Lib Dems. Between Corbyn and the Sensibles, no hope, no clue.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Labour have generally opposed electoral pacts, in fact Corbyn has specifically spoken against them. So, perhaps take it up with your own party.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Lang Spoon wrote: Well the Greens are fairly hamstrung by the world's worst democratic electoral system in England at least. Where there are forms of PR like Scotland and Korea, they have done well at Parliament/Assembly level, and should (at least in Scotland) improve on their 2012 levels in the locals.

Labour aren't a failing dysfunctional depressing mess in comparison to UKIP maybe. But they are a fucking disaster compared to the strangely disciplined (considering they are the fuckers really divided over Brexit type) Tories, Nats, even the Lib Dems. Between Corbyn and the Sensibles, no hope, no clue.
        Agreed the voting system is against them, which increases their irrelevance in FPTP elections, partly helping the Tories into power by splitting the 'anti' vote in GE2015...
        At least Labour have still got a substantial presence in England and Wales.
        Better news? Or just a blip ?

As for electoral pacts, neither are 'my' party!!
        I just want rid of the Tory vermin...

Comment

Local elections 2017

Better news?

Comment

Local elections 2017

Looks like your quote has Boarditis there. I wouldn't be too sure Labour presence will remain substantial in much of E&W. LibDems will be gunning for their urban pro remain seats. Tory scum will be looking to bite into Oop North post industrial bleakness where by rights their candidates should still be tarred and feathered. A shitnami coming their way, and no one has any coherent idea how to stop it.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Now I can see the link, those green shoots look fairly within the margin of error as well. Shaky stuff to put any faith in.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Etienne wrote: I've had two Tory candidates knock on my door. Which suggests their database isn't as up to date as it might be. I know that what I should do is keep them on the doorstep as long as possible, but I can never manage it.
                I've heard anecdotally the same about the Scotch Conservative (AND PROUD UNIONIST) Party, leafleting the dad of a Nat candidate for example, stupid stuff.

Nice to see Tories looking hopeless and disorganised. Unless they are putting all their cash in some Cambridge Analytics type badness, whose malign effect we won't even suspect till it's too late.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Lang Spoon wrote: Now I can see the link, those green shoots look fairly within the margin of error as well. Shaky stuff to put any faith in.
                  Yeap, that's as maybe, fair enough.
                  But I can't believe every Labour voter is going to go directly to the Tories & Krappers?

Reckon they just won't turn out if it reaches this 'doomsday' scenario...

Comment

Local elections 2017

Kippers look a busted flush. But if Lab voters don't turn out, what do you think will happen? It's apathy as much as anything that will unlock the North etc for the Tories.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Yes, but only in 'that' scenario though.

Comment

Local elections 2017

I would have thought that entering into an electoral pact is the best why of getting rid of Tory vermin, particularly at a local level.

It might be the only way to break the all the blue around Shropshire.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Bringing this thread back on polling day.

Was at my usual polling station at opening time on my way to work. In contrast to the 2016 referendum and 2015 GE, there was nobody there with us, not a surprise but hey! My vote might have more weight!

My town is theoretically safe Tory (Treasury man Gauke is the MP) but there are local factors in play: Tories at borough and county level have waved through plans for a multistorey car park in the middle of town with questions over whether the surrounding roads can withstand the extra traffic. There is a sense that the town voted Remain as well due to much of the population commuting into the City.

As a result a council by-election went to the Lib Dems last year to the surprise of many.

At a wider Hertfordshire level, no-one is under any illusions about how blue things are going to swing.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Fussbudget wrote: A thread destined to die on its arse, judging by the general levels of interest and enthusiasm around.

Anyway, the only candidate for mayor that's bothered to leaflet around here so far is the Tory (!), and he's campaigning on a promise of using his budget to bring Teesside Airport back into public ownership (!!). Up is down, left is right, dogs living with cats etc.

Any signs of the impending apocalypse in your area yet?
                            Not for us.

Local / Mayoral elections in Sheffield are being represented by "Sir Not Appearing in this Film"

Comment

Local elections 2017

Pleased to report that yet again UKIP have not fielded a candidate for the local elections in our ward (just LD, Lab, Con, Green). Sensible of them, really, as they would get pretty much nowhere in this part of Cambridge.

Anyway, I'm off to the County Council election count tomorrow morning on behalf of the Lib Dems, a first for me.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Only election here is to be the first mayor of the Liverpool City Region. I'd be very surprised if it's anything other than a win for the Labour candidate.

One of the candidates is standing on the platform "Keep Coppers Off Juries". This also serves as his entire manifesto.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Just spoke to a woman who went to the next door primary school to mine in BelAir in the 60s. That has probably secured the BT14 demographic in suburban Worcester

Comment

Local elections 2017

Myself and Mrs Flibl have voted with due sense of dread. If the Ukip vote shrinks as expected it will mean an increased majority for the Tory candidate. Tactical voting is not an option here in West Sussex (Fontwell).

One minor bright spot is no BNP candidate on the ballot. They had 57 or so votes in 2013.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Southport Zeb wrote: Only election here is to be the first mayor of the Liverpool City Region. I'd be very surprised if it's anything other than a win for the Labour candidate.

One of the candidates is standing on the platform "Keep Coppers Off Juries". This also serves as his entire manifesto.
                                      I'd almost vote for him. Surely a conflict of interest having filth on the jury. If (I don't know if this is true, but I hope so for pure devilment) Primary teachers aren't allowed to be on juries in Ireland cos their brains have turned to mush talking to kids all day (I think it's the idea that cos you can't really morally judge kids like adults, they will be too coo-y and excuse making over the obviously guilty and let them off) no fuckin way should an agent of the state whose job is to get folk up on charges.

Hope everyone who could got their vote on today. I'm looking at you, Tubbs.

Comment

Local elections 2017

So, what's being counted overnight, and who have the wisdom to wait until tomorrow?

Comment

Local elections 2017

Diable Rouge wrote: So, what's being counted overnight, and who have the wisdom to wait until tomorrow?
                                          Scotland and NI's STV votes will be counted from tomorrow, I'd say E&W from tonight. Not sure of the wisdom in delaying FPTP easy counting elections. STV needs a good night's sleep though.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Local council elections here in South Wales will almost certainly be a carve-up between Plaid and Conservative, neither of whom make an appealing selection based on what I've seen, so I voted for the independents. County council I voted for a mix of Green and independent. I know it's more or less futile in a FPTP system but I still feel that it's important to place your vote for them for posterity – if no-one did (because it seemed wasted), there'd never be a mandate for a more proportional system.

Comment

Local elections 2017

Wales is different

01:05
                                              Results so far in Wales
                                              ]

Labour 36 seats (-1)
                                              Independent 16 (-1)
                                              Conservative 9 (+1)
                                              Liberal Democrat 6 (+2)
                                              Plaid Cymru 2 (-1)
                                              Green 0
                                              Ukip 0

Comment

Local elections 2017

Zero Kipper seats won as yet, down from 39.

Here in Herts no seats have yet changed hands. Very close call here in Berkhamsted with a Con majority of just 96 from the Lib Dems. 41% vs 39%. Labour and Green both 8%, UKIP just 2%.

Four years ago it was Tory 45%, UKIP 17%, Lib Dem 15%, Green 11%, Labour 10%.

Comment

Local elections 2017

I'd never heard of the "West of England" mayor until today. The name's just a teeny bit of an overreach, isn't it? Call it "Bigger Bristol" and stop claiming the other 90% of the region, you arrogant sods.

Comment

Local elections 2017

First ever election for the post.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X