Society (1989)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Society (1989)

I recently watched this 1989 horror flick as it had been mentioned in connection with the recent "Get Out", which I loved. I'm quite surprised I never saw it back in the day, as it is the type of film I was really into at the time.

I quite enjoyed seeing it for the special effects fest at the end of the film, but thought it was seriously flawed because:

*there were many instances of very wooden or cheesy acting (and I don't think they were intentional)

*there wasn't enough explanation of what "shunting" was, which meant that it wasn't clear what was happening at the end. More exposition was needed!

*the pacing of the finale was really strange. It didn't maintain any tension or feeling of scariness. It was too long.

*the way that the "society" let the hero escape was illogical. Why did they let him go?

I don't think these faults are to do with the fact it is a film from the eighties. Apart from the admittedly fascinating special effects, I don't get the high esteem in which this is held. The reviews on imdb are all glowing.

What do you reckon to the film? Is it seriously overrated or am I missing the point?

Society (1989)

I loved it for the schlock aspect, but it is seriously, badly cheesy. The 80s fashions and production values don't help, either. I think it is held in very low esteem on here (if i recall correctly the reactions that ensued, the last time I mentioned it) and I think those 'period' factors contribute to that. I think that if it was 70s-made, it would be thought of very highly. But, then, if it had been made in the 70s, we wouldn't have had those special effects.

Comment

Society (1989)

I don't think the period factors make it bad. I think it is badly made - poorly paced, acted and edited.

Anyway, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who holds it in low esteem!

Comment

Working...
      X