US Cable Drama in a Time of Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    I'm not rooting for him either, really. Maybe it's his mom's fault - or maybe it's the actor's fault - but he seems to think the world owes him something because he's the great-nephew of this colossally rich asshole. Or, at least, does not seem to have any other idea how to get by in the world other than working various hustles and angles. That's not very sympathetic.
    True, but I think underneath that there's an emergent conscience. He knows that what Tom asked him to do (re: the document shredding) is a "bad thing" on the face of it. Whether he acts on that basis at some future point, or merely uses it as leverage we'll undoubtedly find out.

I think the Grandfather will be back — he's the only character that's able to speak truth to power, which the story needs now and again. He's also close to Greg, — though it doesn't show much, except in Greg's affectionate attitude towards him.

Comment

I am five episodes in. The abusive nature of the relationships clearly stems from Logan, but I'm not yet sure if the most blatant child abuse stuff (Shiv in Episode 2; the grandson at Thanksgiving) is his dementia or the actual character. He clearly has been abusing the sons mentally since they were kids. If his feelings for Shiv are partly sexual, you could infer an Ivanka reference.

Shiv has shown some moral centre, at least in how she defines infidelity; also I think she has a sense of irony and perspective, although she occasionally needs reminding that she only has per position due to nepotism. I just don't think her being in love with Tom is plausible. There's much more of an intelligence and maturity gap between her and Tom than even between Ivanka and Jared, even allowing for satirical hyperbole. No surprise that the actress is an Australian who conveys more irony than Ivanka could. MM's past British roles create some dissonance for a British audience, especially as his Spooks character was also called Tom.

Improvisation of dialogue can sometimes create a fourth wall problem, as in I think the actors are about to break character.

The bold casting deserves mention. Marcia is played by a Palestinian Arab born in Nazareth (not sure if that's the character's implied nationality; I inferred Egyptian or a Francophone nationality) and two of the conniving board members are played by a Persian-American (Stewy) and a Korean-American (Lawrence).

Does Jeremy Strong have a facial resemblance to Lee Harvey Oswald, such as here? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0834989/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

Greg reminds me of the tall annoying one in VEEP.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-08-2018, 09:13.

Comment

To go back to OP, "Billions" has incorporated the Trumpian era very well, with Clancy Brown AG character probably being how Trump fantasy AG would be...

Comment

Shiv has shown some moral centre, at least in how she defines infidelity; also I think she has a sense of irony and perspective, although she occasionally needs reminding that she only has per position due to nepotism. I just don't think her being in love with Tom is plausible. There's much more of an intelligence and maturity gap between her and Tom than even between Ivanka and Jared, even allowing for satirical hyperbole.

I agree, but the strength and root of their relationship becomes clearer in the final episode. It's not simple but certainly plausible.
          Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 14-08-2018, 14:56.

Comment

SPOILERS

Xxxxx

Yes, having seen that episode now, he is just happy to be her husband and will let her set the rules, more or less. He knows his place but then bullies those beneath him, which is partly Greg's role in the whole first series. It's clear by the end of the last episode who has the power in the family.

Comment

(Thanks SB)

I thought Succession had some really excellent bits. And, unusually, I thought it ended well. But it wasn't as good as it should have been, and I'm not quite sure why not.

I was really very impressed by some of the performances. Jeremy Strong was, I thought, really quite excellent, pretty much throughout.
              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 08-09-2018, 16:58.

Comment

FYI Season 3 of The Good Fight began yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                X