Hidden Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Figures

Has anyone seen this? I'm torn between being able to watch a movie about the Mercury Gemini era at NASA, and the knowledge that I'd probably break my laptop in rage at the liberties they take with the story.

Hidden Figures

Watch it. It's thoroughly enjoyable, if not particularly deep or rigorous.

Comment

Hidden Figures

hmm, I'm just nervous about a movie that starts in 1961 that deals with segregation, when segregation of all federal facilities ended 3 years earlier. also by 1961, katherine goble johnson was a really important person (in a practical sense) at nasa. She had already done all the applied maths involved in launching alan shephard into space. that's the sort of thing that would really annoy me. because otherwise by now I'd have paid into a cinema to watch a movie about the early space race.

It strikes me as being a biopic about the stone roses that tells the story of the troubles faced by a struggling young band getting by in thatcher's manchester in 1994 just as they're about to release their first album "the second coming."

Comment

Hidden Figures

I think if you're going to get hung up on historical accuracy, you're probably going to have to give every Hollywood "based on a true story" film (which feels something like 90% of their "serious" films these days) a wide berth.

If you watch if for entertainment rather than as a documentary, you should be fine, the same as you would with The Right Stuff or Apollo 13.

Not knowing the precise timelines, I was fine to not really care about exact accuracy. If I had any issues with the film is that it was all a little trite and simplistic about the racial segregation stuff, and how easily it all ended because Kevin Costner had a sledgehammer.

Comment

Hidden Figures

Well that's the kind of thing that would get on my wick. Reading a bit about the film, it appears that the main character dealt with segregation in her early career by completely ignoring it. She just used the white bathroom for years before anyone complained, and then everyone ignored that person. apparently if you're trying to put a man in space on top of a repurposed ballistic missile you have more important things to think about.

Comment

Working...
          X