New forum - discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lang Spoon wrote: A genius, a true star.
    Indeed. And (almost) a fine Rundgren reference.

I think Option 3 for me, but that's mainly because others have said it, I don't know about this stuff.

Thank you.

Comment

Reginald Christ wrote: Crusoe has it right that nobody really gives a toss about post counts here.
      Well, you and Crusoe would say that, you've got fuck all posts between you.

But yes. Option 1 or 3, for me, and other things already suggested - first unread post would be great, a slightly smaller font/more economic use of screen space so less scrolling is required (or, given the diversity of opinion here, user-adjustable font sizes, though I've no idea how easy that is for you to sort, SP). Radio/podcast/theatre forums might be nice, but by and large I agree that not too much stratification is best.

If you could hold off the migration until just after the next (or next but one) chess tournament has kicked off, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd appreciate that too. Probably best to say next, actually, given how long they normally take to complete.

Comment

What are "forums"? I only ever use Recent Topics as an entry point, as the joy of this place as far as I'm concerned is the serendipitious mishmash of subjects that are live at any given hour or day, over which I like to lightly butterfly-flit. I'd hate to lose that and instead have to decide where I navigate to within a (potentially expanded) subject tree of forums and sub-forums.

Seriously, though, this from ursus speaks the truth:
        ursus arctos wrote: History has shown that having both forum-specific entry points AND a cross-forum "Recent Topics" feature maximizes user satisfaction, as posters use this place in different ways.
        So I'm with Sits:
        Sits wrote:
        Option 3
        Recent Topics
        Join thread at the point I left it
        User-set text size
        Thanks for all your hard work on this, Snake. Ability to customise font size (aside from a reduction in pointless white space) would be great to both cut down scrolling and potentially use the damn boards on my phone again. A 'jump to last-read post' feature sounds great too. I'm not precious about my post-count, especially since it's no longer visible so I rarely have a clue what it is anymore (though I'd quite like it to hit 5000* before we move, if it hasn't already). And count me in with those who thinks a Games forum sounds a good idea, for what it's worth.

* Edit: apparently 4841 now. Hmmm. Bit touch and go, then.

It would be a definite shame to leave behind all our 'hard work' on threads here – but on the other hand I quite fancy the idea of packing up the crates and suitcases and joining the ark this time, having only been here for a mere 5 or 6 years and hence always feeling something of a neophyte, left out of the battle-scarred veterans' talk of OldTF campaigns of yore... let alone the still-more-remote myths of the First Age of OTF from the web's distant past. There would be a certain thrill in getting to experience pitching up together with friends and strangers from here on new shores, with all that drama of the "Did everyone make it across?" uncertainty as well as the excitement of sticking your flag in virgin territory on the far side. So if it's by far the cheapest and easiest and thus most sensible option, then yes let's abandon the fort, weigh anchor and away for fresh horizons.

Comment

If we did have to accept some downtime during the switch over, maybe we could flashmob some other forum for a while, as has happened to this place on a couple of occasions.

If we do, then I bagsy being Matador Man (the apparently cool one, of whom the rest of the invaders keep saying "Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet - wait 'til MM gets here...".

Actually, an invasion like this is just about the most irritating thing you can do to a board, so maybe let's not.

Thanks for all your time and attention, Snake. If the end product looks a bit retro and anything like this place did in the early Noughties, you might just get a lot of oldish men excreting a little bit of wee with the the pleasure of it all.

Comment

I still mourn the loss of the old ezeboard. Now that was class.

Comment

There would be a certain thrill in getting to experience pitching up together with friends and strangers from here on new shores, with all that drama of the "Did everyone make it across?" uncertainty as well as the excitement of sticking your flag in virgin territory on the far side.
              Each of the migrations to date have featured first day posts that literally mimic that question.

Comment

And people turning up days/weeks later saying "I wondered why the old site had gone so quiet...".

Comment

Add me to the option 3 fans please.

Comment

How long has that Recent Topics option been there? I have never noticed it before! Why am I so hopeless with computers?

Comment

I know that ursus and other sane people swear by it, but I can't see the appeal. I use the 'home' page method and go from there.

Comment

WOM wrote: ursus and other sane people swear by it
                        It's fucking brill...

Comment

In the 15 or 16 years I've been mooching around this place, I've never once used the recent topics button.

Comment

The OTF archive linked to upthread starts at May 2002, but there was an OTF Mark I board in-between that and EZ-Board (which I know was out of commission before Euro 2000). I used to post on that under my full name and, if I recall correctly, was involved in some unseemly fights back in the days before I became the calm and mature Zenned-out veteran of online discussion. I'm grateful that those two years no longer exist or show up under a google search of my name.

Anyway, just wanted to add thanks to the Snake and say that all Options are fine by me.

Comment

The new board should get down wiv da kids and call Recent Topics "Trending".

Comment

Where is da kids on here? I remember the switch over from the Ezboard to OTF. Some people were giving Simon Price a hard time for being an uninformed, bolshy newbie. Nostalgia.

Comment

Logan Mountstuart wrote: Where is da kids on here? I remember the switch over from the Ezboard to OTF. Some people were giving Simon Price a hard time for being an uninformed, bolshy newbie. Nostalgia.
                                  The great roryfsmith seems about 12. I do hope he makes it over. He had good, solid workable ideas.

Comment

hobbes wrote: In the 15 or 16 years I've been mooching around this place, I've never once used the recent topics button.
                                    Fuck me, but you're on a hot streak today, boy.

Comment

Belatedly, I'd like to say I'm fairly sceptical about option 3. Down the line, there's some sort of problem with the archive board, it's low traffic and difficult to sort out, software has moved on and it's difficult to integrate, you're already maintaining another forum (which might be affected by the same problem, sucking up resource)... it's very easy to see archived sites deprecate or disappear in these circumstances.

If the option's there to move all the content across and maintain one platform I think that's the safest thing to do, and kinder to WSC hosts. Even if it does mean taking the hit on not having the forum for a week.

Comment

Just a quick update - word is from WSC towers that their preferred option is for a migration, and there is budget to do it as seamlessly as possible, which means we can do multiple migrations. So I'm going to figure out a plan which hopefully gets the data migrated in chunks, minimising downtime as much as I can. A lot more will become clear when we try the migration for the first time - we'll do that to a test instance and get a feel for just how complicated a job it is going to be.

Comment

Thanks for your work on this, Snake.

Comment

And thanks for the progress report. I appreciate downtime minimization attempts.

Comment

Yes, super stuff once again Snake. This sounds like potentially the 'best of all worlds' scenario, so fingers crossed the test migration works smoothly.

Comment

Option 3?

I am pretty sure we have done this before...

Comment

Reginald Christ wrote: Hmmm.
                                                  [IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/147/today.png[/IMG]

Comment

That link just goes to the OTF archive at http://archive.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi for me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X