New forum - discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thought on structure, would this be an opportunity to broaden some of the existing entertainment / culture themed topics?

Currently we've got music, TV, film, and books covered. But it'd be nice to find a proper 'home' for radio, podcasts, theatre, and video games.

I'd rather not have too many sub-forums. I like stumbling across topics in, say, 'World' that I'd never have gone looking for.

Comment

Actually I've just done a search for the old pre-OTF boards. There was one on dottwo.co.uk and before that on something called ezboard. They have all vanished into the past. Jimmy Bignutz, once of this parish, backed up the dottwo one onto another server but that's gone too.

Comment

I'm happy to go along with whatever's easiest and works, please. Just one thing on the forums: please keep a cross forum entry point, (Recent Topics on the current system), 'cos that's the best way to keep up with what's going on in each forum.

Thanks.

Comment

As ad hoc alludes to, I have a feeling that "our" reaction to Option Three will be heavily influenced by how long "we" have been "here".

It's essentially the model used for each of the earlier transitions, though in some cases the resulting "museum pieces" were destroyed and are now only accessible via Wayback Machine and other sub-optimal archives.

In past transitions, the single thing people have been most concerned about is preservation of user names, which hasn't been impossible. Post counts used to be more of a thing, but that was in part a feature of them being constantly displayed on the prior board.

Comment

Yeah, fuck post counts but be sure to keep this Offline/Away/Online thing cuz that's a very valuable function.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: Actually I've just done a search for the old pre-OTF boards. There was one on dottwo.co.uk and before that on something called ezboard. They have all vanished into the past. Jimmy Bignutz, once of this parish, backed up the dottwo one onto another server but that's gone too.
              But look what's happened to otf itself -

https://onetouchfootball.co.uk/

Comment

Guy Profumo wrote:
                Originally posted by ad hoc
                Actually I've just done a search for the old pre-OTF boards. There was one on dottwo.co.uk and before that on something called ezboard. They have all vanished into the past. Jimmy Bignutz, once of this parish, backed up the dottwo one onto another server but that's gone too.
                But look what's happened to otf itself -

https://onetouchfootball.co.uk/
                Try .com.

http://www.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Comment

I don't really care much, but if I had a choice I'd go for Option 3 - it's easy, it's cheap, it has no down-time. Just stick links at the bottom of New Forum to the various stages of OTF Archaeology and then anyone can find whatever relic-posts they need to under Ozymandias's rubble.

Comment

I'm happy to go with others' expertise on the migration issues.

As far as sub-forums go. Based on other MB's I've been on there's a danger they can become unintentionally exclusionary. Someone becomes the go-to-guy/gal on fashion or football programmes just by hanging out there so much. The topics become about expertise, rather than broad-based discussion. It doesn't always happen, and based on the present membership of this forum, I don't think it would for some time but down the line it might.

Comment

www.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
                      Like that! Make it look like that!
                      Only with bigger text - my eyes aren't what they were.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                        www.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
                        Like that! Make it look like that!
                        Only with bigger text - my eyes aren't what they were.
                        This. Very, very much this.

And thanks for slogging through this, Snake - ten years ago, I might have been some help, but my DBA skills have atrophied to near-nought these days.

And option 3 sits fine with me too - we've started afresh before and been none the worse for it.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the update and all the work Snake.

Option 3 sounds excellent and the least hassle but I'll go with the majority.

On behalf of Kevchenko can I request a gaming thread. Perhaps that might tempt him back.

Comment

I hear you on look and feel. Going to do what I can to make it familiar. Out of the box, it should be very mobile friendly.

Podcast/radio etc forums. Not a bad idea. Once we are bedded in, I think that is a go-er.

The other thing to note is this: If we were to go for the no-migrate option, that probably knocks out the idea of migrating from Kunena at a later date as a sideline, skunkworks project. This is simply because we would probably start clashing things like account names and email addresses. I am very, very keen to preserve the existing content in some form, if only read-only at its current location - that's as much a philosophical thing for me as it is a practical one. There is a treasure trove of interesting and valuable content and memories tied up in forums like this.

Also ezboard and ultimateBB. Jesus. That takes me back.

Comment

Snake Plissken wrote: Interesting idea.

Option 3

Kunena is switched to read only, new board installed at http://www.wsc.co.uk/gloriousnewforum

Cons
                              Three boards, two of which become incredibly low traffic museum pieces
                              Re-registration required

Pros
                              Cuts costs by either 70% or 100% depending on board chosen.
                              No downtime
                              Fast switchover
                              This looks best to me, and I presume there'll be some etiquette over who gets to start super popular threads like the cryptic crosswords and the mundane thread, and also not bagsying someone else's user name. Although I might be willing to trade my moniker with someone just to throw people off the scent like.

Comment

Imma re-register under a different name, just to annoy WOM.

"Toby Shitshoes" has a certain ring to it.

Put me in the option 3 camp, BTW. Most of my posts could do with being consigned to stasis, TBQFHWY.

Comment

Oh, and yeah, you're doing sterling work, Ken Snakepiss.

Comment

In terms of structure: I'm not at all bothered as long as there's not too much balkanisation, but I really like the "Recent Threads" link so that I don't automatically self-exclude myself from forums that I don't normally have an interest in. It would be great if we could retain that, or something similar.

Comment

Yes.

History has shown that having both forum-specific entry points AND a cross-forum "Recent Topics" feature maximizes user satisfaction, as posters use this place in different ways.

Comment

The best messageboard I ever used was ILX (I love everything), a spin-off of 'ILM (I love music). It didn't have pages, just long pages which used cookies to grab the last place you'd read to and jump to recent posts in that thread. When threads got reactivated after a time, you could easily scroll up to see other posts in a way I'll never ever do with pages.

Comment

"Go to first unread post" is #1 on the list of things I look for in a forum. I'm frankly astonished that Kunena doesn't have something that has been in its rivals for a decade.

Comment

On behalf of the younger people, can we please have an option to set the font size? I hear multiple calls for bigger text, but as it is right now, I already feel the aches in my scrolling fingers from the tiny amount of information that fits on each screen. I would personally prefer much, much smaller text.

Since opinions diverge, maybe a personal profile setting would be apt?

Comment

Again, not going to promise too much, but the software we are looking at allows personalisation of themes and things like that, so if it doesn't offer something out of the box then I'm sure we can get something done ourselves.

Thanks for the feedback all, got some good responses from the WSC staff so on to the next stage.

Comment

A very encouraging thread.

Option 3
                                                Recent Topics
                                                Join thread at the point I left it
                                                User-set text size

Would be my absolute ideal, if we can be that choosy.

Thanks a lot Snakepiss

Comment

A genius, a true star.

Comment

Thanks for the update Snake - you're guaranteed a few beers from me if you should find yourself working back in Liverpool any time in the future.

I'm happy with option 3 - fun though it is to resurrect a long-forgotten thread for an update ("It's flying ants day!"), it's no hardship to create a new one and link to the archived one.

When the time for shutdown draws near I plan to leg it onto the pitch and dig up a handful of OTF turf before the bulldozers move in - who else is thinking of taking their regular seat or a bit of terracing away with them?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X