Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chase

(Couldn't find a thread for this, but…)

One of the lead stories this morning on the internets is how two contestants in The Chase "cheated" their fellow contestant out of cash.

Contestant A - Gets £9,000
    Contestant B - steps towards the finish, and gets £300
    Contestant C - steps towards the finish, and gets -£1,000
    Contestant D - steps towards the finish, and gets -£2,000

Result - they're playing for £6,300.

Cue outrage.

The Chase

The Mirror website is bloody obsessed with this show, which is weird considering that Pointless is far superior in every possible way.

Comment

The Chase

When I came back to the UK, I was looking forward to watching Pointless based on the enthusiasm for the show here. Whilst it is a great idea, I find once you've watched it for a couple of months, it becomes repetitive in every aspect (questions, jokes, contestants). Someone mentioned on the Pointless thread that you can condense the show down to about 15 minutes if you take away the incredibly boring chats with the guests, I agree with this completely.

So, for the past 8 or 9 months I've been watching The Chase and I never get bored of it. Questions are more varied, I like it when the chasers have an off day and when they're on fire (nothing better than getting 15 in a row right with about 50 seconds left). The weirdest thing about it all is I like Bradley Allen, he's probably the reason I tune in again and again.

Anyway, the minus prize dynamic is one of the best things about the show and happens so often I'm amazed the two minus prize uptakes even made the news. Having four contestants when you reach the chase stage is a massive advantage because having the 4 points on the board gives you a psychological step up on The Chaser. But it can also work against you, with less knowledgeable contestants buzzing in to pass when another contestant knows the answer.

I never understand why more contestants don't go with The Chaser's top off, which is always 5 figures. It's a multiple choice round, so you always stand a chance, imo. The amount of money actually won by contestants on The Chase is minuscule, few actually beat The Chaser and those that do have something like 7 to 10 grand split 3 or 4 ways. Compare it to Drop Zone, where absolute fuck-wits can walk away with 30,000 for just pushing some discs off a ledge.

Comment

The Chase

I enjoy The Chase when I catch it (5 pm here so usually don't) but the fatal flaw seems to be the Chaser's motivation in the final round. To win against a decent score they have to be focused, concentrating hard like they are set to win the cash, which ... they aren't. Maybe I've missed something, maybe they have to win a certain number of contests to stay in the job, but watching them try and deny somebody a new kitchen or a cruise is not very satisfying. There should be a bucket of green gunk poised above their heads or something.

Comment

The Chase

I think they are basically trying to stay in a job. The Vixen is by some distance the weakest chaser and sometimes loses to sub 15 scores, which is really poor. However, she's entertaining and has a good rapport with Bradley, and she's a female quizzer, so her job's sort of secure. The Dark Destroyer had a really poor run of form a month or so back, but he seems back to his best now. The other three are just consistently strong, The Sinner Man is my favourite of all of them, but you've got the whole bad-guy thing with The Beast, reminiscent of wrestling.

I like the way they're always stumped on questions related to modern culture, especially The Governess.

Comment

The Chase

steveeeeeeeee wrote: The weirdest thing about it all is I like Bradley Allen, he's probably the reason I tune in again and again.
            Do you mean Bradley Walsh? If so bloody hell, I find him the single worst thing about the show and the main reason I don't watch it. I guess he's supposed to be the voice of the viewer, in which case the makers of the programme must assume that their viewers are all complete fuckwits.

Comment

The Chase

Yeah, Bradley Walsh. Bradley Allen played for QPR, didn't he?

Each to their own, I guess. Prior to watching The Chase I always considered him a strange throw-back to the kind of highly conservative and sexist TV presenters of the 1970s. But, despite my prejudice, he's superb on The Chase.

edit: On the other hand, I can't stand Alexander Armstrong on Pointless. Love Richard, however.

Comment

The Chase

steveeeeeeeee wrote: [...]The Sinner Man is my favourite of all of them, but you've got the whole bad-guy thing with The Beast, reminiscent of wrestling.
                Having only seen tiny bits of The Chase, the first time I stumbled across Mark "The Beast" Labbett was on a late-night Challenge TV show WrestleTalk TV a couple of years ago. Going by his nickname and the fact that he's built like a brick shithouse, I assumed to start with he was some wrestler I'd never heard of. He's clearly a massive fan, anyway, so I don't doubt that he's taken that style of 'bad guy' role as deliberate inspiration for his Chaser-persona.

I have to say, I love Pointless but more in the breach than the observance, as it were, i.e. I rarely watch more than a snippet of an episode precisely because of the waffle between questions. It would indeed be ideal shorn of all the chat with contestants. I prefer Pointless Celebrities for that reason, as at least it's usually vaguely interesting finding out what they're up to now. And of course that title is just dead-on brilliant.

Comment

The Chase

I have two friends who have met Bradley Walsh a few times.

Lovely fella by all accounts.

Anyway carry on.

Comment

The Chase

I can confirm that he is a very decent chap, indeed.

Paul Sinha still has one of my favourite lines ever on Fighting Talk, when asked about what sport he would love to do, he picked the 400m, which surprised Iwan Thomas, also on the panel. "I might not beat him, but I would have a great time looking at that arse all the way round."

Comment

The Chase

The Beast lives near me, apparently. From time to time you see posters in local pubs advertising upcoming personal appearances, usually for quiz or poker nights. He's a Sheffield United fan which probably explains where he gets his persona from.

Comment

The Chase

Put me in the Chase camp as well. As much as I like Pointless, they don't half faff about. Give me questions, questions, questions and more questions.

Mind you, I've just watched the latest episode of University Challenge, which renders arguments about all other shows (ho-ho!) pointless.

Comment

The Chase

I'm a big fan of The Vixen.

Erm. Carry on.

Comment

The Chase

So am I, but I'm German.

Comment

The Chase

I apparently look German. Does that help?

Comment

The Chase

I've never watched this. Just read the Wikipedia article three times in an attempt to understand the rules.

I've not felt this stupid in a while.

Comment

The Chase

Crusoe wrote: I've never watched this. Just read the Wikipedia article three times in an attempt to understand the rules.

I've not felt this stupid in a while.
                                  It seems to be an unwritten rule at ITV (at least since the 70s) that they must currently broadcast at least one game show that is far more complicated and just plain obtuse than is necessary - see also 3-2-1 and Golden Balls.

Comment

The Chase

And that's Numberwang!

Comment

Steward's Enquiry?

Chase contestant marked as wrong for calling Lanfranco Dettori "Franco" Dettori

​​​​​​​https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...t-out-25239600

Comment

If they'd answered "Lanfranco Dettori" they would have more of a case, I reckon.

Comment

And if he'd just answered "Dettori", that would have settled it, because (AFAIK) The Chase operates under the general quizzing rule of "surname alone is acceptable". As for the OP, said contestant was Darragh Ennis, who of course is now the sixth Chaser.

Comment

Working...
                                          X