Favourite awful films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite awful films

Nah, I agree. Phantom Menace is a terrible film, but it has some OK sequences. And it doesn't have Hayden Christensen. The other two are irredeemable.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote:
      Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
      Are all of the entries in this category going to be horror or action films?

I can't imagine anything else qualifying. A serious drama that fails just feels false and tedious.
      I invite you to watch The Room.
      Tommy Wiseau's trainwreck? Or Room, from the book of the same name?

Comment

Favourite awful films

I watched a terrible (but marvellous) '60s B Movie called The Green Slime with the kid a couple of weeks ago. It was so fantastically dated and 'B' that the kid kept saying "Is this real?". I think it was his way of asking "did they intend it to be like this?" I love shit old sci-fi films.

Comment

Favourite awful films

FilmFour screened a Cannon Films movie, Hercules, last week and it was a right old load of arse: lousy script, school-play direction, shoddy production values, even shoddier acting and visual effects seemingly provided by Poundland. But it was playfully pleasant viewing in a sort of bad-movie-comfort-food way, where I could never really work out whether the makers actually meant it to be this bad or if their dreams on making a genuine fantasy epic fell disastrously at every hurdle (sometimes, people end up making bad movies even if that wasn't the original intention). Either way, it amused in a strangely entertaining fashion.

Comment

Favourite awful films

The Parole Officer - naff, unfunny, obvious plot - but quite enjoyable (though that may have to do with the wine content usually consumed by the time it's on).

Comment

Favourite awful films

FilmFour screened a Cannon Films movie, Hercules, last week and it was a right old load of arse
              Hercules in New York? The one with Arnie? It's great. I mean, it's awful, but it's great.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Anyone who's not seen the documentary "Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films" should make a point of doing so.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Indeed. Pretty sure it's on Netflix.

Lifeforce is another so-bad-it's-great Cannon effort.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Ginger Yellow wrote: Indeed. Pretty sure it's on Netflix.

Lifeforce is another so-bad-it's-great Cannon effort.
                    Isn't that the film version of 'The Space Vampires'?

Comment

Favourite awful films

FilmFour screened a Cannon Films movie, Hercules, last week and it was a right old load of arse

Hercules in New York? The one with Arnie? It's great. I mean, it's awful, but it's great.

Nope. This 1983 effort starred Lou Ferrigno, and I've never seen the Arnie one although I'm well aware of it. Agreement on the Cannon Films documentary, it's well worth your time.

Also a nod to Lifeforce. It seems to hit all the guilty-pleasure bases of enjoyably bad films, one of them being - no, not big boobs - the inexplicable sight of seeing actors put in convincingly enthusiastic performances far above what was needed for such ridiculous material.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Did I ever mention, on previous discussions of Lifeforce, that I spent a couple of days on the set as a teenager?

Comment

Favourite awful films

Perhaps, but do tell: how and why?

Comment

Favourite awful films

I've thought of another one: Escape to Victory. It's terrible but it's also fab.

Also most Carry On movies probably fit into this discussion as well.

I'm also going to nominate Ted. That was a film I felt ashamed at myself for laughing at but boy did I laugh.

Comment

Favourite awful films

I agree about Ted. Thoroughly enjoyable despite being a pretty terrible movie. Sadly Ted 2 fails to pass that low bar.

I got onto the set of Space Vampires because my dad, for reasons that were never 100% clear given that he's an academic, was asked to help with the special effects and headed up to Elstree, or wherever it was, once a week.

Comment

Favourite awful films

And you followed in his footsteps and ended up in LA.

Comment

Favourite awful films

I love Ted. The bit where they are smoking a bong, and guessing white trash names floors me every time.

Comment

Favourite awful films

I'm curious as to how you folks define 'awful'.

Is it the guilty feeling you should really be watching The Seventh Seal or Shoah?

What's wrong with enjoying Miss Congeniality or Ted? I did.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Drifting back to thriller/horror is the outstanding Venom from 1981. The plot synopsis from Wiki says it all really:

An international criminal named Jacmel (Kinski) enlists Ruth Hopkins' maid Louise (George) and chauffeur Dave (Reed) in a scheme to kidnap her asthmatic ten-year-old son Philip (Holcomb) for ransom. As the plot begins to unfold, Philip has just brought home a snake from a local importer, unaware that his new pet has been accidentally switched with a deadly black mamba destined for a toxicology lab. The lab reports the mix-up, and a police officer is dispatched to the Hopkins residence, only to be shot by the panicking chauffeur. The London townhouse is surrounded by police, trapping the criminals, the child, and his grandfather (Hayden) inside with the mamba, which is now loose in the ventilation system.

Klaus Kinski
                                      Olly Reed
                                      Nicol Williamson
                                      Susan George AND Sarah Miles (each a good pointer in their own rights, but both...

If you can spare a few minutes, it's worth your while. Excellent ensemble performances, and snake effects too.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I'm curious as to how you folks define 'awful'.

Is it the guilty feeling you should really be watching The Seventh Seal or Shoah?

What's wrong with enjoying Miss Congeniality or Ted? I did.
                                        Well, that's the entire point of the thread, isn't it? That we've enjoyed these movies that are generally perceived as anything from low-rent to downright trash? I don't think anyone's suggesting that there's anything 'wrong' in having done so.

There is - however rightly-or-wrongly - a general perception/consensus as to which movies are classics, those that are very good or those that are halfway-decent - and those that simply 'aren't'. Just don't ask me to define it - I didn't make the rules.

Comment

Favourite awful films

WOM wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Vulgarian Visigoth
                                          Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
                                          Are all of the entries in this category going to be horror or action films?

I can't imagine anything else qualifying. A serious drama that fails just feels false and tedious.
                                          I invite you to watch The Room.
                                          Tommy Wiseau's trainwreck? Or Room, from the book of the same name?
                                          The trainwreck, the trainwreck.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote: The trainwreck, the trainwreck.
                                            I believe that those were Colonel Kurtz' final words in the original script of Apocalypse Now, but Marlon Brando fluffed it.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Breaking Glass came out when I was 15 and I thought it was great, got to see it again recently and while, to say the least, it hasn't aged well I still enjoyed seeing it, like meeting an old friend you knew in your teenage years, never realised that Mickey Pearce was: SPOILERS the punk killed at their early gig

Comment

Favourite awful films

The Cannon-made Chuck Norris stuff makes for a good cringefest. It's that unique combination of really dodgy politics, really dodgy acting and really dodgy general film-making. Plus the guilty nostalgia.

Comment

Favourite awful films

And I could see The Happening (the killer trees film) making the list at some point.

Nods of agreement from me. The bit where a weird pensioner goes around headbutting her own house to a thumping score brought the giggles big-time. Just to get back to Lifeforce one more time, I was fascinated to note on IMDB that none other than legendary thesp Paul Scofield was considered for a chief role in that, then I recalled the Cannon documentary, where Golan and Globus pretty much flung up lots of mooted never-to-be-made films to which lots of famous actors (who probably didn't know they were attached to 'star' in them) were said to be cast, so The Man For All Seasons was perhaps never intended to face the threat of Vampire Nudie Girl From Space.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Ooh, remembered another one that really needs to be on the list. Maximum Overdrive, about the day the machines went crazy. But only some of the machines, some of the time. Look, don't overthink it. The only film directed by Stephen King, or rather by a huge pile of cocaine acting through the medium of Stephen King. So bad, it blinded its DP.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X