No announcement yet.

Favourite awful films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to watch proper Star Wars with the ironing tonight. Watched the Special Edition updated for DVD version. Enjoyed it much more than Episodes 1, 2 and 3 although Robot Chicken skits kept popping into my head. Like Ponda Baba the architect.

Comment

Event Horizon was utter bobbins, but it had a few efficient scares. The scene with the eyeballs stuck with me for a while.

Comment

PT, how much ironing do yo do?

Comment

Apparently I'm a slow ironer.

Also it has mounted up of late with Mrs Thistle being crocked as she usually does it.

Comment

Has anyone said Nuns On the Run? Nuns On the Run.

Comment

There's tits in that. Or was that the Pope Must Die? Both utter shite obviously, but to 13 year old me, that was a very good reason to watch a film. Often more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                Has anyone said Nuns On the Run? Nuns On the Run.
                I love that film. "Sleeps for twenty quid an hour? I could get ya fifty."

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Apparently I'm a slow ironer.

Also it has mounted up of late with Mrs Thistle being crocked as she usually does it.
                  I made the utterly banal observation while ironing earlier that we use coat hangers for everything except coats.

What was this thread about? Oh yeah, have Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run been mentioned yet? My younger self wouldn't forgive me if I didn't say Lassie Come Home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    There's tits in that. Or was that the Pope Must Die? Both utter shite obviously, but to 13 year old me, that was a very good reason to watch a film. Often more than once.
                    The shower scene in NOtR was certainly one of the first things I watched with the volume off when I got a VCR for my bedroom, aged 15. I think Janet Suzman began my thing for slightly stern older women too.

Comment

Like the Only Fools and Horses Christmas special To Hull and Back made the same year, National Lampoons European Vacation to my mind looks really washed out compared to what would come before and after. Maybe I wore the tape out, particularly the scene in Germany where Rusty is preoccupied when the fight breaks out, but although it's daft I love it.

I was delighted when I learned from a website which song Rusty was signing on the train to Italy. "Is it YOUUU? Or is it you? Or you?... It's ME!"

Comment

Well, if we're doing naff 80s films with gratuitous topless scenes, the scene in Purple Rain where The Kid gets Appolonia to purify herself in Lake Minnetonka... that got some hammer at the time, eventually it looked like Prince was making her strip in a snowstorm.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                          Well, if we're doing naff 80s films with gratuitous topless scenes, the scene in Purple Rain where The Kid gets Appolonia to purify herself in Lake Minnetonka... that got some hammer at the time, eventually it looked like Prince was making her strip in a snowstorm.
                          That ain't Lake Minnetonka.

Comment

'The Keep' by Michael Mann and 'Dune' by David Lynch...Two movies that cry out for a 'Final Cut' job, bumped up to the 3h long movies they were before being turned into a mess by the studios.

Still, there are genius moments to be salvaged...

Comment

I loved Dune much later in life, so wasn't too offended by the rainy Arakkis ending, Kyle Mclachlan being not very Paul Atreidis. But it is hella boring. It might make more sense if recut by Lynch, but I don't know if there's any cure trying to translate a book that's half internal monologues that isn't painful and exposition heavy. Maybe if the Giger designed Jodorowsky madness got off the ground something might have happened to make it watchable. Even allowing it being butchered, it's Lynch's least Lynch film. I really dislike the effects and most of the set design. And the white desert warriors. But the Guild Navigators, they did look fantastic.

Comment

The Dune mini-series was a better adaptation (the Fremen look like a desert tribe...) despite the cheapo set/effects (excellent costumes mind). I just have a thing for the Dune universe, the desert aspect, the mysticism and destiny angle, the navigators thinking ships away in space...

Comment

Working...
                                X