Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sabbaff RIP

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 08-11-2021, 15:32.

Sabbaff RIP

Saw them on this tour, it was great fun. A shame, however, that they were not able to patch things up with Bill Ward.

1. War Pigs
    2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    3. After Forever
    4. NIB
    5. Supernaut

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

1. Killing Yourself To Live. I want this played at my funeral.
      2. That ominous synthy one that's either before or after 'Killing Yourself To Live' on the album
      3. War Pigs
      4. Paranoid

The only good 20th century heavy metal band, unless you count Jimi Hendrix Experience and Queen as heavy metal.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

Not really a fan, but two songs stand out from their usual stuff:

War Pigs
        Paranoid

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

Off the top of my head it would be :

1 War Pigs
          2 Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
          3 Fairies Wear Boots
          4 The Wizard
          5 Changes

Is it bad that my sort of favourite sort of Sabbath album is 1982's 'Speak of the Devil'*, Ozzy's contractual obligation double live album of their songs recorded with his then backing band. It was only done to deliver two full album's worth of material to Jet Records and get off the label and I think he's isowned it since but I loved it at the time.

* originally released as 'Talk of the Devil' in the UK though I think it might have switched back now when reissued.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

1 NIB
            2 The Wizard
            3 Children of the Grave

Gets a bit hard to pick after that, but I limit myself to the first three albums (for the solipsistic and conservative reason that it is what I know...). The video of them from Paris in 1970 is as brilliant as it is ubiquitous. Fuckin engine room giving it six-nowt.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

1. Children of the Grave
              2. Supernaut
              3. War Pigs
              4. Fairies Wear Boots
              5. Never Say Die (bad album, great title track)
              6. The Wizard

What? 6 is the new 5.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

Postscriptum: Planet Caravan is the biggest pile of wank outside of Pantera's cover of Planet Caravan. Pointless shit. And the speeding-up tape effect at the end of War Pigs will never, ever cease to annoy me.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

IIRC, the best thing about Faith No More's cover of War Pigs is that they left the terrible ending off. Although it's a while since I heard it so I stand to be corrected.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

dogbeak wrote: Postscriptum: Planet Caravan is the biggest pile of wank outside of Pantera's cover of Planet Caravan.
                    I rather like it.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

The first real band I ever got in - around 1982, Allan Gordon Studios, Walthamstow - said 'let's do Paranoid'. I'd never heard it before ( I was a prog kid), and drummed along to the dirge.

Over the last 5 years, Ms johnr and her sister have been forcing us all into karaoke clubs - and even twice, at home, streaming karaoke on the internet - and part of the night is them doing a duet of 'Paranoid'. They're from Brum, and it's their youth. I still can't get with it; it repeats itself lyrically, endlessly; the riff isn't as good as they - the sisters - think it is, and we all - sisters included - bail out before the end.

On account of this thread, I've just listened to 'War Pigs' for the first time. That's a belter, that is. Thank you.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Not really a fan, but two songs stand out from their usual stuff:

War Pigs
                        Paranoid
                        Bloody hell man, put some effort in.

1 A National Acrobat

2 Junior's Eyes

3 Hole InThe Sky

4 Symptom Of The Universe

5 Black Sabbath

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

I only really know Paranoid. But I do like it and even bought the single in the late seventies. The guitar solo is just the right length...

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

It's not really my genre but I really do like the idea of Black Sabbath.

But anyway:

1. Black Sabbath

'Bands who peaked early' has probably already been done. First albums and all that but Black Sabbath peaked in the first song on the first album and then not even the whole song. About the first five minutes. For me, anyway.

Comment

Sabbaff RIP

My first gig ever was Dio-era Black Sabbath at Hammersmith Odeon 1981. I was as unbelievably excited as you can imagine. However, even at the time, there was a feeling that it was a touch ponderous. Tony Iommi did a guitar solo that was so long that you could have gone for groceries and returned for it to be merely halfway through. When I went to see Rush later that year, it seemed all the better and more exciting with film shows and everything. Even the drum and guitar solos were more interesting. By the time, I got to see Motörhead the next year, Sabbath were put well into context. I still felt affection for them.

However, I went to see their gig with Ozzy at Download or Ozzfest and that was the first time I had seen the original line-up. Again, I was very excited but again came away thinking that they were a bit ponderous. Indeed, halfway through, I just sloped off for a pint and didn't bother returning although I could still hear them.

Anyway, for the record, my favourites, in no particular order are:

"Symptom of the Universe"
                              "Snowblind"
                              "Never Say Die"
                              "War Pigs"
                              "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
                              "Iron Man"

I have to say that "Heaven and Hell" and even Mob Rules were pretty decent albums and "Neon Knights" was a great song. For the record, I also agree with Ray about "Talk of the Devil"

Comment

Working...
                              X