Billericay tricky? Midweek Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much on in London and its environs this week so I am going to check out Hendon's "new" ground Silver Jubilee Park which I've never been to despite it hosting a variety of clubs in the past.

The visitors in this Isthmian Premier clash are non-league's latest financially doped side, Billericay Town, who have "persuaded" Paul Konchesky to sign for them and drop four levels from D3 with Gillingham. He's apparently one of a dozen signings since a takeover mid season by a horrendous looking chairman (below right) who has also made himself manager.

It won't end well, will it?

cantagalo posted the thread first, but this one has that picture, so I think we should go with this.

I shall not be attending football this week, as it is for jerks.

Comment

It's a corker, isn't it? It must be like the drummer of The Anti-Nowhere League taking over your football club.

Comment

What does he do? How does he make his money? I think I prefer him to fan ownership.

Comment

He's in waste management, apparently.

Comment

Ah. Like Tony Soprano.

Comment

Forest v Brentford

Both teams in reasonable form. Should be a decent game.

For once, I don't have far to travel so I can leave the car and have a good pre-match session in West Bridgford.

Blimey - that picture...

Comment

I'm pondering if I should have gone with Billericay Dickhead as thread title now.

Comment

Every part of that photo is just screaming swingers club, isn't it.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday v Burton Albion, based on the fact that I enjoyed the Brentford game the other week, this will likely be the last reasonably cheap match of the season and want to bump my priority points for the play offs.

As mentioned on the Division 2 thread, Burton tend to stick everyone behind the ball away from home so expect a turgid 1-0 home win (Fletcher 78)

Comment

Forest 2 Brentford 3

Three of the best counter-attacking goals you're ever likely to see. A bit sloppy at the end after bringing a couple of kids on. Top half now and 7 home games out of the remaining 11.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Burton Albion

Both goals came in the first half hour and were of similar character - long range shots going in off the post. Wallace for us was a grubber where the keeper should have done better. Irvine for them was a rocket from us clearing out a corner. Said corner came after an absolutely tremendous save from Westwood that had many standing to applaud.

After this Burton parked the bus and we got to see familiar failings from Wednesday in not breaking them down - too many easy passes with no penetration, Adam Reach not getting crosses past the first man, aimless crosses being lobbed into the box and a reluctance to shoot in good positions. We also got to watch John Brayford being a bellend.

Since Bonfire Night Wednesday have played ten home games. They've won seven. I've been to three. I'm sure everyone can guess what a Venn diagram of these categories would look like.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: Every part of that photo is just screaming swingers club, isn't it.
                          About 15 years ago my brother went through a 'sexually experimental' phase where he joined a swingers website.

While the display of of wealth on that website was the same, the body shape wasn't.

Which, disappointed my shallow brother.

Comment

"my brother". Right.

Comment

A first visit in three years to Braintree for me last night, watching the Mighty Imps record not only a much needed win, but win convincingly.
                              Excellent team performance, Lee Angol making his debut alongside Margetts up front with Matt Rhead on the bench and a few others rested. Defence again were outstanding, throwing themselves at everything and making Farman not have to do too much. Hawkridge I think got better as the game went on, absolutely superb display in midfield. Margetts will find his touch soon, came agonisingly close to scoring his first goal since his return, but clearly he is lacking match practice.
                              Angol though was exceptional. First hat trick on debut for Lincoln since 1966. Couldn't see his first two properly cos we were at the other end of the ground, but his running off the ball, the pace he has as well as his finishing suggests that he might be extremely important to us during the close season.
                              Braintree put us under plenty pressure and had many corners but lack a threat up front. After two consecutive draws, last night was a must win. Lovely bonus that Barrow did the business against Tranmere for us too. Can go and enjoy Saturday at the Emirates knowing we're 6 points clear of them.

Comment

Hendon 1 Billericay Town 0

A 90th minute winner gave Hendon some hope of avoiding relegation and they avoided conceding what appeared to be a certain penalty deep in to injury time when one of their defenders slapped away a ball in to the box.

You wouldn't have guessed that the visitors have been on a signing spree from the levels above them and Konchesky hardly stood out (set pieces aside) in an unfamiliar central midfield role. Interestingly he was in direct competition there with another player of significant Premier League experience - James Harper, formerly of Reading. I wonder how many other seventh tier games feature two players with over 450 top flight appearances between them.

I've now seen Harper turn out for Basingstoke, Hayes & Yeading and Hendon in the non-league coda to his career and he's managed to fit Barnet (in the Conference) Hungerford Town and Met Police in too. He still seems like the same narky teenager who had a short loan with Cardiff from Arsenal at the turn of the millennium.

Despite hovering around behind the dugouts for a short while I didn't pick up much more about Billericay's chairmanager, it was a cold night though so at least he wasn't got up like a Mötley Crüe roadie on his holidays.

Silver Jubilee Park is a nice little ground, a little functional maybe but after a decade of itinerant tenancies Hendon seem to have made it their own. The clubhouse is very welcoming and decorated with the shirts from the Terry Neill's sports bar that used to be at their old ground. I particularly liked the juxtaposition employed in the display of the one below :

Comment

More Billericay ghastliness. Stay watching for the pre-match singalong and the owner/"manager" giving his speech.

Comment

Working...
                                  X