SPOtY 2017, already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOtY 2017, already

Francis Koné - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/06/francis-kone-player-could-have-died-togo-czech-republic

Team of the Year - Coalville Town FC - http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/coalville-town-come-to-marine-s-rescue-after-opponent-s-team-coach-breaks-down-15-miles-away/story-30182771-detail/story.html

SPOtY 2017, already

Konta might be worth an early bet

https://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner

Comment

The Welsh SPOTY shortlist is out : Gareth Bale, Elinor Barker, Aled Sion Davies, Jonathan Davies, Natalie Powell and Geraint Thomas.

Davies will win for his Lions Man of the Tournament performance and part in the Scarlets' Pro12 win but my vote will go to Elinor Barker for her form all year and status as a reigning World Champion specifically.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-11-2017, 14:22.

Comment

One other thing, in the opening post's titular acronym why is O capitalised and T not?

Comment

Sports Personality Of t'Year?

Comment

Vote for the token foreigner/42066974...

Comment

Kap was surely the NFL personality of the year, not Small-Balls Brady. Super Bowl, Schmuper Bowl.

Comment

I’ve voted for MvG.

Comment

It's not been a great year, has it? A few days ago I tried to think of iconic performances in big victories which got reasonably widespread attention, and could only come up with Anya Shrubsole. So I'm glad to see she is on the shortlist.

Satchmo's suggestion of Jo Konta as an early contender just sums it up, really. Whilst entirely plausible at the time he wrote it (just after her Miami title, based on the date) and further backed up by a good run at Wimbledon has been rather undermined by her poor showing in the last third of the season. Very hard to see her winning it, or make an argument that she deserving to do so (and I say that as an out-and-out fan of hers). And yet she is still nominated.

In fact, here is the shortlist.

Elise Christie (Short-track Speed Skating)
                  Mo Farah (Athletics)
                  Chris Froome (Cycling)
                  Lewis Hamilton (Motorsport)
                  Anthony Joshua (Boxing)
                  Harry Kane (Football)
                  Jo Konta (Tennis)
                  Jonnie Peacock (Athletics)
                  Adam Peatty (Swimming)
                  Jonathan Rae (Motorcycling)
                  Anya Shrubsole (Cricket)
                  Bianca Walkden (Taekwondo)

I guess it's between Froome and Joshua and hopefully Shrubsole. I hope to god that it isn't Kane, who is nowhere near the level of attainment of the company he is keeping here. In fact, in terms of achievement alone it should probably be Christie*, who is the 500m, 1500m and overall Women's World Champion in her discipline, but someone in her sport is never likely to win this.
                  * - with the caveat that I've never heard of Rae or Walkden, so they could really have been tearing it up for all I know. And am also unaware what Peacock did this year, so likewise with him.
                  Last edited by Janik; 27-11-2017, 21:32.

Comment

Peacock won the World T44 100m in London in July and is now the reigning Double World, Olympic and European Champion. I was very heartened to see Christie nominated too.

Hopefully Hamilton’s toxic personality and actions rule him out (though the Top Gear vote may still swing it for him) and if so I would see Joshua as favourite. My vote will go to him for the purely personal and partial reason that he and Klitschko gave me my sporting event of the year.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-11-2017, 21:38.

Comment

Just looked at the odds, and they make for sad reading. The four nominated Women are the four total outsiders, with all eight Men having shorter odds for the award. Joshua is the clear favourite, odds-on with every bookmaker ahead of Hamilton and Froome.
                      However Shrubsole is somehow the clearest favourite to be in the top three with the only bookie offering odds on that, at 100/1 on (Joshua only 25/1 on). I'm not sure I follow the logic of that, unless there is some kind of rule that the top three must feature one Woman.

Comment

Bookies odds are usually pretty good at identifying the potential winner but much less so for guessing who might round out the podium. That usually comes down to much less anticipated factors like whether the entire taekwondo community will rally round a vote for Walkden or geographical voting for the local hero like Jess Ennis always used to benefit from or simply who comes across well on the night and gets a good film. I suspect not many people would be able to guess who finished second and third last year.

Hamilton's appearance in the Paradise Papers largely went unremarked on in F1 circles. It'd probably be considerably more of a vote loser for him if he went and criticised the Autosport Awards again.

Comment

I suppose the unwritten rule for (male) cricketers is that even if they score triple hundreds in the UK summer, their winter tour schedule has to be delayed until January*. You can't be handing out a gong to a hero getting humiliated in Australia.

*for reasons other than court appearances

Comment

Johnny Rea will win the NI award. He was downbeat on local media but Ulster folk seem to love that

Comment

Shrubsole had an indifferent Ashes series but I'm still gonna vote for her. Her World Cup final exploits were the cricketing highpoint of the year.

Comment

Agreed. In a tenuous OTF link my cousin Phil knows her from Bath CC. He also used to work with Bored of Education's wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                  Johnny Rea will win the NI award. He was downbeat on local media but Ulster folk seem to love that
                                  Poor old Johnny Rea.

Comment

Well spotted mon general ;}

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      One other thing, in the opening post's titular acronym why is O capitalised and T not?

Hadn't got my finger of CapsShift quickly enough.

Comment

Davies did indeed with Welsh SPOTY, nice to see Christian Malcolm and Alan Curtis get nods too.

Comment

Federer wins the overseas award - what a fix, putting him up against a shortlist of five people who aren't even remotely households names in the UK. Of course he'd then win a public vote. Where was Nadal's nomination? He finished world number 1 and won just as many slams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42323268

Comment

Although I'm still a bit perplexed as to why Bale was on the shortlist and Elfyn Evans wasn't

Comment

More famous, innit.

Comment

Working...
                                              X