Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#OscarsSoShite?

Well, yes, pretty much.

However, being a self-respecting theatrical type, I will be watching as usual.

The highlight for me, will be Justin Timberlake trying to sing that "Can't Stop The Feeling" song, live, as it has some tricky key changes. And in case you are wondering WHY he is singing it, he is up for best original song for "Trolls". Apt, this year. And if anyone needs something particular to boo at, then Sting is also nominated in this category.

My tips for the Bigger Ones (those I think should win, in brackets):

Best Movie La La Land (La La Land)
    Best Actor Casey Affleck (Casey Affleck)
    Best Actress Emma Stone (Ruth Negga)
    Supporting Actor Jeff Bridges (Mahershala Ali)
    Supporting Actress Viola Davis (Viola Davis)
    Best Original Song Justin Timberlake (Fuck You Sting).

#OscarsSoShite?

In the last half hour I've finally finished watching all the films nominated for Best Picture, which is really the only one I care about.

In order of how much I enjoyed them:

1 - Hell or High Water
    2 - Hidden Figures
    3 - Arrival
    4 - Manchester By The Sea
    5 - La La Land
    6 - Moonlight
    7 - Lion
    8 - Hacksaw Ridge
    9 - Fences

In order of what I think is actual the best film (understanding that I am lazy and like to be entertained, rather than be made to think)

1 - Manchester By The Sea
    2 - Hell or High Water
    3 - Moonlight
    4 - Arrival
    5 - La La Land
    6 - Hidden Figures
    7 - Lion
    8 - Hacksaw Ridge
    9 - Fences

And, finally, in order of how I think the academy will vote

1 - La La Land
    2 - Moonlight
    3 - Manchester By The Sea
    4 - Hidden Figures
    5 - Lion
    6 - Fences
    7- Arrival
    8 - Hell or High Water
    9 - Hacksaw Ridge

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Are you just back from the cinema, or...?

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Fortunately Fences was On Demand (so I didn't have to sit through it at a cinema, even if I did have to pay $15). We always have a party on Oscar Night where everyone gets assigned one or two of the best picture nominees, and have to cook a small course based on that film. So I try to see all of the films, so I can understand what people are cooking.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Which are yours, what are you cooking and why?

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge, which are tough. There's not a whole lot of food, or food references, in either film (in contrast the missus has Moonlight which has that great diner seen with the Cuban rice dish with a load of focus on the coriander, which means there's something a bit more literal to work with - so she's making arancinis stuffed with pulled pork with a coriander dipping sauce).

So, anyway, for Arrival - which is a starter course - I'm making a pastry, stuffed with bacon, mozzarella and garlic mix, then looped into a circle, kind of like a bagel. This is because the key to the film is that the language of the aliens, and their sentence structure, doesn't have a beginning or end, so I want my starter to not have a beginning or end. I'm going to make a basil sour cream sauce to put over it.

And for Hacksaw Ridge, basically the entire film is either god bothering or bloody, gory, open flesh wound violence. Set in WWII fighting against Japan. So I'm going to make a steak tartare, which will hopefully look bloody and fleshwoundey enough. And I'll make it with japanese mix-ins like mirin and yuzu and soy, rather than the normal caper and mustard stuff.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

It's weird that there are 9 of them.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

And now, live from the red carpet, some women, and an ex NFL footballer talking to people about what they are wearing, and yet no-one has said "a dress".

Accessories include the blue ribbon with ACLU emblazoned on it. (Hey, don't knock them. I may be of need of them anytime soon.)

Colours this year include gold, gold and gold. Ruth Negga stands out in a flowing red nightie. I don't think I have seen a female leg yet.

Casey Affleck looks as if he has been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Taraji P Henson looks as if she is going to kick the crap out of someone in the very near future, and has a split leg dress to prove it.

Someone I don't know, has come as a capo di monte figurine. Expect to see lots of shit about her in the rags tomorrow.

AND SO MANY "BEARDS".

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Naomie Harris (looking stunning) has a ski jump attached to the back of her dress.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Emma Stone being interviewed now, with her brother Spencer. And the camera quickly ZOOOOOOOMMMMMSSSSSSSSS in to Emma Stone's face, so you can see her hidden zits.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Justin is on to open the show.

Miming bits of it, as he is dancing his ass off.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Segues into "Lovely Day" (Bill Withers)

Good start. Even Michael J Fox was shaking along to it, with the rest of the actreens.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Kimmel: "I want to thank President Trump. I mean, remember last year when the Oscars seemed racist?"

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

I have fallen in love with Meryl Streep's husband.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

A "totally undeserved" standing ovation for Meryl Streep.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Mahershala Ali wins Best Supporting Actor.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

This is a great way to follow the Oscars Ger, thanks.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

No worries.

I am not going with all the smaller awards, because, frankly, nobody gives a tiny shit.

It's been pretty good so far, and quite quick. The commercials are pretty good too.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

OJ SImpson movie wins Best Documentary. And Immigrants won the best costumes. Trump will be turning in his gravy.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Oh FUCK. Justin has no chance. Lin-Manuel is up for the Oscar with the Moana song. Bollocks.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

La La Land isn't winning the smaller ones, so I doubt it's going to sweep the big ones.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Sting is coming up shortly, so it's time for food and TV muting.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Some guy has just won one after 20 nominations, so YAY for Kevin O'Connell.

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Kimmel: "Hacksaw Ridge is the story of a conscientious objector, who decided to work with Mel Gibson anyway."

Comment

#OscarsSoShite?

Jackie Chan gets a special award (at another event) for Being Jackie Chan.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X