Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late to the (genre classic) party

Confession time!

It was only a couple of weeks ago that I finally heard Raymond Scott's 1963/1964 classic 'Soothing Sounds For Baby' vol.s 1, 2 & 3..

Now, this may seem meaningless to you, but given that some of my favourite artists are...

Solvent
    Skanfrom
    OMD
    ISAN
    Bochum Welt
    ...and their many side projects.

...so you can possibly imagine my shamefaced embarrassment regarding this blind spot that has only now been filled.

Have you got an equivalent?

More on Raymond Scott here.

Double post

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: I'm not generally good with genres — I reflexively want to subvert them, or whatever they purport to represent/mean. I do have personal quests and desires though. For example I have always had a particular thing for female vocalists.

A couple of years back I discovered Teddy Grace, who lost her voice in WW2 and recorded little before that. Most of what she did is on CBC Timeless History, Teddy Grace 1937–40. I was bowled over, here was the white woman who could sing black. Pretty much the female Elvis twenty years ahead of the game.

Betty And Dupree

Crazy Blues

BTW I've Raymond Scott's The Unexpected, which is kind of a stylistic period piece I suppose.

Comment

Working...
      X