Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ultimate question - the debate continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

antoine polus wrote:
      Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
      Other than the lobster roll, I can't think of anything referred to as a roll in America.
      Cinnamon roll.

Fruit Roll up
      Right. I meant, we don't have anything that could possibly qualify as a sandwich called a roll, except the lobster roll.

If the unit of bread that holds the sandwich together is baked as a single unit and then sliced to create space for whatever is on the sandwich, that bread thing is often called a roll or a bun. But the whole thing is never called a roll, except, as far as I know, in the case of the lobster roll which is, traditionally, made on a standard white-bread hotdog bun.

I don't think there's any distinction between bun and roll. Maybe regional, but I don't know.

After all, the ne plus ul·tra of cinnamon rolls is what they sell at Cinnabon, but it's usually pronounced cinna-bun.

Referenced here;
      https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/goth-talk-goldblum/2861305?snl=1

Here;
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-j72ALHHs

And here.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRQnC7REn2Y

Comment

Aha, I understand. So rolls exist in the US, but only as a bread accessory that, at the most, might be sliced open and buttered, but definitely not used as a delivery method for meats and vegetables.

So that must be why it is a burger 'bun', and not a burger 'roll.'

edit: I've walked past a number of Cinnabons at US airports and thought of Louis CK. One day I will relent.

Comment

Huh...Cinnabon reminds me of Saul Goodman.

Comment

I am thoroughly confused. Can somebody please draw me a Venn diagram? Thanks in advance.

Comment

antoine polus wrote:
              Originally posted by Hot Pepsi
              Other than the lobster roll, I can't think of anything referred to as a roll in America.
              Cinnamon roll.

Fruit Roll up
              Swiss roll.

Comment

Christ on a bike. This thread was still on page 1 when I left it this afternoon, exhausted by my taxonomic research. I come back and find the sandwich debate has gone nuclear in just a couple of hours. Wow.

I've got a lovely mental picture of Wouter's comestibles Venn diagram now.

That wasn't meant to be a euphemism either. Mmm, bread hinge.

Comment

Oh, and VT, before anyone asks: "Push him down an Alp."

Comment

SEXIST!

Comment

antoine polus wrote: Aha, I understand. So rolls exist in the US, but only as a bread accessory that, at the most, might be sliced open and buttered, but definitely not used as a delivery method for meats and vegetables.

So that must be why it is a burger 'bun', and not a burger 'roll.'

edit: I've walked past a number of Cinnabons at US airports and thought of Louis CK. One day I will relent.
                      A hamburger could be on a roll if it's especially high quality/something special like a kaiser roll. And the bread for subs is usually called a roll. I can't see any rhyme or reason to what is called a roll versus bun other than tradition and those seemingly random language conventions.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: SEXIST!
                        Heheh, yeah I was thinking of that possibility even as I typed my previous post. Apologies to hypothetical Swiss persons this time.

Mmmm, hypothetical Swiss roll...

Comment

More Jaffa Cake news.

Comment

That's pretty poor form, given that they're not (so they say), increasing the unit cost. It's just creating more packaging waste.

Comment

Working...
                            X