Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ultimate question - the debate continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basque is the European language which is not related to any other. Like that bloke on the podcast on page one wants us to see hotdogs

Comment

A big Italian sausage or kielbasi on a bun is usually sold as a "sausage sandwich." And that's really just a fancy hotdog, lending credence to the pro-sandwich side.

However, in New England, lobster meat (and some other stuff) on a hotdog bun is called a Lobster Roll. Not a lobster sandwich.

Comment

I'm inclined to the ad hoc/Hot Pepsi position here that a hot dog is, basically, a sandwich. The continuum of pork-products-on-bread leads me to think that there is no obviously hard line place to draw the distinction.

If you are going to split into categories, I think it would probably be the use of yeast in the bread.

A sausage roll is not a sandwich. But from a ham sandwich, through a banh mi, to a Thuringian bratwurst on a bun - these are all sandwiches. And once you have a thuringian grilled sausage on a crispy brotchen, there's no fundamental difference to a frankfurter boiled sausage on a soft bun.

Comment

Category error!

A sandwich is made with sliced bread.
          A ham sandwich and a ham roll/butty/barm are not the same thing.

Comment

Other than the lobster roll, I can't think of anything referred to as a roll in America.

Comment

A burger is a roll. Scottish people would call it "a roll an burger".

San B: You need to clarify. A sausage roll can be sausage in pastry too.

Comment

Yeah, well Americans can't tell the difference between a roll, a barm or a bap anyway.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: A burger is a roll. Scottish people would call it "a roll an burger".

San B: You need to clarify. A sausage roll can be sausage in pastry too.
                  That's what I meant:

A sausage roll (sausage in pastry) is clearly not a sandwich

But a banh mi, or a thuringian bratwurst, are sandwiches (or, at the very least, are in the same category as hot dogs, thus the hot dog is not the Basque Language of foodstuff taxonomy).

Therefore, for me, the dividing line seems to the use of bread rather than pastry, and - I think - that means using yeast as a leavening agent.

Comment

Snake Plissken wrote: Yeah, well Americans can't tell the difference between a roll, a barm or a bap anyway.
                    Brits can't tell the difference between a Sub, Grinder, Hoagie or Hero.

Comment

I can tell you all about Grinder...

Comment

Never had a hot sub then, Gero?

Comment

"Prosecution is leading the witness, your honour".

Comment

Anyway, back to the butties.

McDonalds call their rolls, sandwiches.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: Anyway, back to the butties.
                              Oh heavens...

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: Anyway, back to the butties.

But they also call their buildings "restaurants", so I think we can disregard their use of English as any sort of model

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: Other than the lobster roll, I can't think of anything referred to as a roll in America.
                                  Cinnamon roll.

Fruit Roll up

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Gerontophile
                                    Anyway, back to the butties.

But they also call their buildings "restaurants", so I think we can disregard their use of English as any sort of model

Comment

Whilst I'm not yet convinced by either side of the debate on "hot dog as sandwich" I do have concerns that the "bread hinge" is a red herring. Even though I had to pause in my reading for a laughter interruption.

Exhibit A: never had a "separated" hot dog? I have.
                                      Exhibit B: if I wish to make myself a sandwich and am short of time, I may simply fold a slice of bread in half over its contents^. But surely this simple act, or absence of an act, does not preclude my "bread-based snack" from being a sandwich? Yet clearly it contains a bread hinge.

^I have some misgivings that this act may have infringed some fundamental universal doctrine of which I am ignorant. I can only await any potential consequences with an element of trepidation.

Comment

*Confusing the issue. Ignore.

Comment

Haha....our poor antipodean cousin confusing bent bread with a bread hinge again.

Comment

Bob only knows what Slightly Brown thinks, watching Sits make his weird foldy "sandwiches".

Although FWIW I'd count that as a sandwich an' all.

Oh, and: Tootsie Roll.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Snake Plissken
                                              Yeah, well Americans can't tell the difference between a roll, a barm or a bap anyway.
                                              Those are pretty much all the same thing.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/the-origin-of-hoagies-grinders-subs-heroes-and-spuckies

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Bob only knows what Slightly Brown thinks, watching Sits make his weird foldy "sandwiches".

Although FWIW I'd count that as a sandwich an' all.
                                                Indeed. Or a halfwich. Neither of which is a Manwich.

Comment

I'm deliberating whether "bread hinge" is a euphemism, or possibly rhyming slang.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault
                                                    Originally posted by Snake Plissken
                                                    Those are pretty much all the same thing.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/the-origin-of-hoagies-grinders-subs-heroes-and-spuckies
                                                    That's rather my point. Like barms and baps.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X