I wanna give the drummer
    Some of this funky soul
    We got here

You don't have to do
    No song, brother
    Just keep what you got
    Don't turn it loose
    Cause it's a mother

The greatest drum loop of all time, and the original jam even better as a piece. RIP the Funky Drummer (song redacted from YouTube; but seriously, get it).

The world got a whole lot less funky this year, between Leibizit and this. Next they will come for the bass players. Keep runnin Bootsy.

Clyde Stubblefield RIP

RIP
    Here's Clyde and Jabo Starks recreating the funky
    https://youtu.be/rE65eaI9JtU

Comment

Clyde Stubblefield RIP

In the recent James Brown doc he talks about how much he hated Funky Drummer. Mainly, IIRC, because the entire band was exhausted after a show, arrived at their hotel, and JB made them all go into the studio with nothing prepared. That rhythm was the only thing CS had the energy to come up with.

Comment

Clyde Stubblefield RIP

It might be the feel (what sounds coiled tight but still giving the impression of loose) of the track that I really like about it. I guess that feel is the serendipity of being made to work till you drop by JB.

Comment

Clyde Stubblefield RIP

The day (or two) after Junie Morrison's death (which apparently happened on the 21st January) was made public, too. As I said on Facebook, Clyde might not be the greatest drummer of all time, but I'm confident he's one of the best to dance to. RIP.

Comment

Clyde Stubblefield RIP

Lang Spoon wrote: It might be the feel (what sounds coiled tight but still giving the impression of loose) of the track that I really like about it. I guess that feel is the serendipity of being made to work till you drop by JB.
            In The Jungle Groove is probably my favourite James Brown album, in spite of it not really being a proper album (it was put together from mostly unreleased takes and released years later to cash in on the fact that hip hop artists were sampling so many JB cuts). I'm sure folk on this thread are already familiar with it but in case anyone's not, really do check it out. I played it until the, erm, laser almost burnt through the disc (I'm a child of the CD era, all right?).

Comment

Clyde Stubblefield RIP

Oh yeah, that album is the bomb. First heard it about 95, was like a whole new world of funk, somehow cleaner, more "orchestral" in the way the instruments play around each other and much much funkier than Sly etc.

Up there with Hallewulah(sic) for making me involuntarily get up to get down.

Comment

Working...
              X