Shatner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shatner

I was flicking through Sky last night and they were showing on Scifi/Horror, the first Star Trek Movie.
    I watched some of it in amazement - how young does Shatner look in that?

I remember seeing it when it came out and thinking what an old git he looked, how out of shape etc; but I guess it is is a sign of getting old myself ; but he looked like he had got pretty in shape for the film, shedding his TJ Hooker paunch.
    Funny the rest of the original cast (except for Uhura who looked stunning) looked far more worn.

Another aspect that I forgot was this one didn't spoof it up like the following film versions - it was all with a straight bat - oh and the effects really aged - and what awful dated uniforms - pretty dire all round really.

Shatner

I don't mind Star Trek: TMP. It tries to be an art house sci fi film in the way that a lot of screen time is spent showing off the films set pieces and visuals (which are ace btw) rather than the story itself. I liked the visuals, Douglas Trumbull (Blade Runner), did a great job here but its also interesting to note that according to the DVD...the effects were never finished.

The Directors Edition DVD tries to remedy this by replacing the unfinished effects with CGI but it looks out of place (except for the scene with Spock on Vulcan).

Easily the most cerebral film of the franchise, it takes a while to get going but the premise of a planet inhabited by machines taking a stray Earth probe and constructing a giant ship to fulfill its mission is a pretty good one. TMP also has one of the opening sequences and endings in the franchise.

Agreed on the uniforms. This was something Nicholas Meyer changed in Star Trek II saying that he didn't want them running around in jimmy jams, and went on to say that the Enterprise was basically a naval ship in space and thus, the uniforms should resemble a navy uniform along with the relevant nomenclature (right standard rudder etc.)...

Comment

Shatner

Am I going to have to come in here and break heads?

Thou shalt not speak ill of Shatner. He is a Perfect Being.

Whenever two or three are together, thou shalt perform his version of Common People.

Comment

Shatner

Hey Antonio - no need to break heads, James T is still the coolest Cap'n of the old Enterprise to me; but the later motion picture versions, especially the one where old Jean Luc was with him really showed him up.
        It's just I was stunned how young he looked and how in shape he was in the first MP, in fact in better nick than the last few TV episodes of the original.

It's more a case of feeling old myself watching these.

And please no Shatner singing performances, once heard forever scared/scarred.

Comment

Shatner

Has anyone on the board seen Incubus? It was a horror film that starred a pre-Star Trek Shatner and all the dialogue is in Esperanto!

Comment

Shatner

The only pre Star Wars Shatner I can remember, was seeing him in an old Twilight Zone episode, where he's an astronaut returning from a mission and he isn't quite the same as when he went up.

Comment

Shatner

Stumpy - you mean this?

And has no one seen Shatner playing the saintly youngest brother Dmitri alongside Yul Brynner in The Brothers Karamazov? Does no one remember his star turn in Judgement at Nuremburg? Ye gods.

Comment

Shatner

VTTBoscombe wrote:
                Hey Antonio - no need to break heads, James T is still the coolest Cap'n of the old Enterprise to me; but the later motion picture versions, especially the one where old Jean Luc was with him really showed him up.
                It's just I was stunned how young he looked and how in shape he was in the first MP, in fact in better nick than the last few TV episodes of the original.

I take it you haven't heard the 'Rapping Shatner' segment from some Indie film (the name of which escapes me).

For Trek fights, you can't beat Kirk giving Kruge a belting near the end of Star Trek III...and the resultant "I...have had...enough of...YOU!".

Brilliant.

Comment

Shatner

The Star Trek fillum is trying to be "art house"? It's not trying very hard.

Comment

Shatner

The movie was called Free Enterprise. It was genius.

Comment

Shatner

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
                      The movie was called Free Enterprise. It was genius.
                      Ah yes, that was it.

Comment

Shatner is great in a white suit as a white supremacist in Corman film called...

Comment

“The Intruder” 1962

Comment

Originally posted by VTTBoscombe View Post
                            The only pre Star Wars Shatner I can remember, was seeing him in an old Twilight Zone episode, where he's an astronaut returning from a mission and he isn't quite the same as when he went up.
                            In possibly the slowest and least relevant correction on this board, I'll point out he wasn't in that episode, his famous turn was in Nightmare at 20,000 feet when he's the only one who can see a gremlin on the wing of a plane (which was remade in the 1980s movie and parodied in the Simpsons) and the lesser known Nick of Time.

Comment

The album he did with Ben Folds was a near-masterpiece. His next was pretty dire, for the most part.

He did some great early work with Gore Vidal.

Comment

I've seen Incubus since my post upthread. It's not bad at all, although apparently the Esperanto isn't up to much.

Comment

Not half as scarred once you've heard Leonard Nimoy singing "Bilbo Baggins"

Comment

Will people please stop posting to this thread? Every time it comes up I think he's died.

Though the lack of a gag title should probably give it away.

Comment

"It's worse than that, you're dead, Jim"

Comment

It's not 'singing', but this collaboration with Henry Rollins is very good.

Comment

Working...
                                        X