Likable Villains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Likable Villains

We're supposed to be sympathetic to every character Ray Winstone's ever played aren't we?

(Apart from that despicable "Raymondo" bloke on the bet365 ads)

Comment

Likable Villains

Anyway.

Roger Delgado/Anthony Ainley

Comment

Likable Villains

Guy Profumo wrote: We're supposed to be sympathetic to every character Ray Winstone's ever played aren't we?

(Apart from that despicable "Raymondo" bloke on the bet365 ads)
        Nil By Mouth stretched our sympathy quite a bit.

Comment

Likable Villains

Ian McShane's Al Swearengen from 'Deadwood'. The first few episodes seemed to establish his character as irredeemably nasty and brutish, but over the three season story arc a far more nuanced and occasionally sympathetic person emerged.

Comment

Likable Villains

Boyd Crowther

Comment

Likable Villains

Have I missed the post where everyone agreed to disregard Games of Thrones on this thread?

Comment

Likable Villains

ad hoc wrote: I think Walter White is a cunt. Jesse Pinkman on the other hand...
                I liked Walter from the moment he trashed those punks mocking his disabled son in the drugstore. Thus, I think of him as a prototype-'Trump-killer'.

On the other hand, Jesse is meant to be a c***.

Comment

Likable Villains

The Daleks.

Comment

Likable Villains

Boba Fett

Comment

Likable Villains

Gordon Cowans and Gary Shaw.

Comment

Likable Villains

I find myself drawn to like Gip Rossetti in Boardwalk Empire

Comment

Likable Villains

Rogin the Armchair fan wrote: Have I missed the post where everyone agreed to disregard Games of Thrones on this thread?
                          Good point, although with GoT it's impossible to work out who is actually a hero and who's a villain.

Likeable GoT villains for me include Littlefinger, Jamie, Cersei, Tyrion (obviously), Dani, Arya, The Hound and probably a load more I've forgotten.

Comment

Likable Villains

Cartoon Head in Ideal

Comment

Likable Villains

Ralph Feinnes in In Bruges.

Although considering the other two are hitmen, all three qualify on a technicality.

Comment

Likable Villains

Renton.

Comment

Likable Villains

Boyd Crowder

Comment

Likable Villains

multipleman78 wrote: Hedley Lamar
                                    I had a huge crush on Harvey Korman, so the thread title would work with a well-placed 'c'...

Comment

Likable Villains

Jah Womble wrote:
                                      Originally posted by ad hoc
                                      I think Walter White is a cunt. Jesse Pinkman on the other hand...
                                      I liked Walter from the moment he trashed those punks mocking his disabled son in the drugstore. Thus, I think of him as a prototype-'Trump-killer'.
                                      Ok in seasons 1-3 Walt may have had some redeeming characteristics, but for the last 3 series he's a fucking monster and after a while it's difficult to recall a time when he wasn't an utter cunt.

Comment

Likable Villains

Well, Walt was in way too deep by then, wasn't he? He'd basically become 'one of them' - eventually 'the daddy of them'. His utter believable-ness in this development was what made the show such a beaut.

Despite some of the horrors he had to perpetrate as 'Heisenberg', I still found myself on his side pretty much all the way through. That's usually the acid test for me.

Jesse Pinkman was a little bitch-punk, though.

Comment

Likable Villains

Tom

Comment

Likable Villains

Good point, although with GoT it's impossible to work out who is actually a hero and who's a villain.

Likeable GoT villains for me include Littlefinger, Jamie, Cersei, Tyrion (obviously), Dani, Arya, The Hound and probably a load more I've forgotten.
                                            For me, Littlefinger, Cersei and the Hound aren't likeable (nor is Danerys after the second book). Jamie is likeable only once he stops being a villain. Tyrion's never really a villain, other than in the sense he's an aristocrat. Arya isn't a villain, though she's not particularly heroic either.

Comment

Likable Villains

Hugo Drax in Moonraker. Mainly because he has the best lines.

"Take Mr Bond away. See that some harm comes to him."

Does Dr Evil count?

Comment

Likable Villains

Ginger Yellow wrote:

For me, Littlefinger, Cersei and the Hound aren't likeable (nor is Danerys after the second book). Jamie is likeable only once he stops being a villain. Tyrion's never really a villain, other than in the sense he's an aristocrat. Arya isn't a villain, though she's not particularly heroic either.
                                                How can you not like The Hound, he's bloody brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKuCCvWAdG8

Comment

Likable Villains

Jah Womble wrote: Well, Walt was in way too deep by then, wasn't he? He'd basically become 'one of them' - eventually 'the daddy of them'. His utter believable-ness in this development was what made the show such a beaut.

Despite some of the horrors he had to perpetrate as 'Heisenberg', I still found myself on his side pretty much all the way through. That's usually the acid test for me.

Jesse Pinkman was a little bitch-punk, though.
                                                  For me, the beauty of "Breaking Bad" was that I started off totally on Walt's side and not really caring for Jesse but as the show went on, gradually, bit by bit, my sympathies shifted in the opposite direction. By the end Walt is a monster and Jesse is the one I was rooting for.

The pivot point being when Walt doesn't save Jesse's girlfriend.

Comment

Likable Villains

No villain could carry off knitwear like Ken Masters.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X