Going for a Burton - Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for OTF's Midland correspondents ; how do I pronounce Bedworth? Is it bed-erth or bed-worth?

Comment

Finally found some action at Pit Lane.

Comment

And now at the former home of UK Futsal.

Comment

Annoyingly lovely goal by T&M puts them 2-1 up. And as I'm typing C should've had a penalty.

Insert scum and inbred etc. here. (Thanks to BC for pointing out just how tedious and repetitive I've become.)

Comment

1-3. I'm not a good omen for Cricklewood this season...

Comment

Watching a home defeat whilst the Millers are getting battered somewhere else does not make for a happy afternoon. Again...

Comment

Sheffield 2-2 Bedworth United

Decent game on a springlike afternoon where one chap even wore shorts. Sheffield took the lead twice in the first half thanks to Bedworth's defence ballwatching. United improved after the break and equalised then forced the Sheffield keeper into a series of sharp saves. Draw a fair result in the end even if ultimately it does neither team much good.

Iyseden Christie was playing up front for Bedworth. Wiki tells me he is now 40, this may refer to his age, waist size or number of times he walked when he could have run. He's still got it as a striker though, both their goals came from his deft headers.

Comment

Report from today.

Comment

Burton Albion 2 Norwich City 1

Burton were worth tbe win yesterday. Nothing short of what Norwich deserved for another lacklustre display (like so many this season) where we thought that simply turning up would result in three points. It was quite gratifying to see the useless shower get hammered off the fans at the end. Burton worked hard and may stay up on that evidence.

Nice to be able to stand at a Championship ground though and it's another one off the list (still glad I got a ticket which I didn't expect). I hope they get another crack in this league next year.

Comment

Rapid Vienna 0 Admira 0

Rapid's new ground performs the neat balancing trick of catering both to the corporate brigade and the 'against modern football' brigade. There's a large, cylinder-shaped structure attached to the back of the main containing lounges and other VIP facilities and, and a large terrace behind the one goal for the ultras.

The game was just appalling - cluelessness meets negativity. With Rapid, it seemed that, as soon as a player got within 30 yards of goal with the ball, he made the wrong decision. They slowed moves down when they needed to speed them up, or snatched at passes when a bit of thought was needed. They played 3-4-3 with 'inside-out' wide forward players, which I can see the point of, but not once did the players concerned switch sides to give Admira something (anything) to think about. Admira had come for 0-0, and must have been surprised how easy it was.

I'm not that much into the way ultras keep singing and flag-waving whatever's going on on the pitch, I'd usually rather the flow of a game dictated the atmosphere, but when the game's as bad as this, you're grateful for some noise and colour in the stands. Rapid got to know what their fans thought of their efforts at the end though, and rightly so. 17,300 there, including 100 or so visitors.

Comment

SV Wehen Wiesbaden 3-0 FSV Zwickau

These two sides are bumbling along in the bottom three of the 3. Liga and on today's evidence, it's not hard to see why. Looks like Wiesbaden got the new manager bounce as they were much better than the visitors, without ever putting together a passing move of any substance. Zwickau were completely toothless and I can only remember them having one or two shots vaguely near the home goal, and Wiesbaden's strategy of getting it forward quickly paid off against a slow defence, there were many misplaced passes and wrong decisions made by both teams.
                        Not quite 2000 people there to see it, but I'll admit that the atmosphere was better than I expected: the young 'uns in the home end (about 100 of them) kept some relatively noisy support going throughout the game. The away support was in one pen behind the other goal, and stayed good-humoured throughout the game, I'm guessing because they must be used to seeing the team take a hammering on a regular basis. Loads of police around, I wasn't aware of Zwickau having any sort of hooligan reputation but they were taking no chances. Which of course translated into rows of seats at the end of a stand sparsely populated with old gimmers and me and VL jnr., being taken up by very bored looking police in riot gear, sitting there and eating a Bratwurst or two.

Comment

Was hoping to watch Millwall Lionesses v Nottingham Forest in the Women's FA Cup today, but have to finish off an essay and prepare for a job interview. What I'm currently doing is procrastinating wildly, hence this post.

Comment

Barnsley 0-2 Brighton

Although we played quite well and were probably the best side in the first half, we were ultimately beaten by a team with better players than us.
                            Other than Adam Hammill blazing over the bar at 1-0 down we really didn't create much. We should have had a penalty at 0-0 too, but we don't get decisions like that in this division.
                            Brighton looked solid in defence, scored a couple of nice goals and were worthy winners. I still prefer our club and not being £30-40 million in debt though.

Comment

Santutxu 3-1 Baskonia

A dominant performance from Santutxu as they swept aside a disappointing Baskonia with ease. Goals from Iundi, Cortezon and Izaguirre brought home a much needed win for Los Rojillos whose relegation rivals all picked up decent results this weekend. Two away games in now follow with Beasain away and Aurrera de Ondarroa the week after. Both must win.

Comment

Larkhall vs Hereford was great fun. I have been to Plain Ham before but never to see a match. It is a really beautiful setting overlooking Wiltshire and, with the weather being unseasonably balmy, a joy to be at . The Hereford supporters - more used to League level 'banter' - considered it a dump. Now, I am very fond of Hereford and, indeed, Edgar Street and am very pleased that the club are staying there. However, it is not the most picturesque of grounds. It is a lovely, old-fashioned, run-down, ram-shackle historic ground but not very pretty nor evocative.

Anyway, Plain Ham was buzzing, as you can imagine, with the customary 500 Bulls supporters that travel which must be a great bonus for home teams at this level. IT was a ticket only affair that neccesitated paying one the stewards well away from the ground and then picking up the ticket at the ground. Actually, it didn't but Wallsall Paul was directing Herefordians to the ground just down form the pub we we went to so we paid him then. Larkhall had put up a beer marquee and there were extra portaloos laid on as well. There were also two riot vans.

We had used the game as an excuse to try some pubs on the east side of town and, in one that was recently taken over and renovated, the landlord had been warned by the feds that the visiting. Bulls may be a bit lively. Bloody ridiculous. They were very vocal and, as mentioned, of a league level of chants and abuse of the players and there was a bit of friction at the end with the frankly mad (three red cards this season) but talented Larks' keeper but that was it. Merthyr or Newport they weren't. Indeed, the two police vans were nowhere to be seen at full-time.

The match wasn't great on an agricultural pitch, Hereford being the more talented team and Larkhall nervously clearing their lines without thinking to a poor chasing lone striker. However, even from the start, it was better than the Lincoln/Burnley game (bar the last 5 minutes. Hereford were the slightly bigger side with a massive number 11 who had a topically Rhead-esque physique. They also were the ones that took early advantage getting a save out of the keeper and then shortly after scoring. Just before half-time, the Larks got an equaliser that they didn't quite deserve having, as I mentioned, played panicky long balls from defence and midfield without taking a minute to see where a player and space was and, too often, not letting the ball ground.

Hereford took the lead again form a disputed penalty that I did see the reason for so will have to trust my East Bath cousins. The keeper pulled off another couple of good saves and Larkhall started playing a bit more and their second equaliser was probably more deserved than the first. It did, however, come from the sort of communication mistake that the Larks' defence and keeper had been suffering from as the Bulls' keeper came way too far out of his area after a defender didn't track back and the Larkhall player nicely lobbed him. It was a bit backs to the wall after that and there was a bit of on-field handbags at full-time to liven things up but a thoroughly enjoyable game and result richly deserved by the Larks if only for their hospitality and steak and kidney pie.

Oh, I should do a Big Boobs and Fire and say that I had three pints of St Austell Tribute before (the best pint of the day), a Doom Bar at half-time and after. The aforementioned steak and kidney pie and a cheeky football cheese and onion with the obligatory brick of cheese but, this being Bath, red raw onion.

Comment

Sheffield FC Ladies 0-1 Doncaster Rovers Belles

Back to the Coach & Horses for the second successive day, they'd sanded the pitch a bit overnight. Different make up of crowd, today there were many more women and kids as opposed to the non league social glitterati yesterday. Though it did take me a while to make the association as to why the Belles fans were ringing bells.

Donny peppered the Sheffield goal early on before scoring through a highly dubious penalty that looked more ball to hand. Sheffield improved second half and came back into the game but struggled to create good chances and Donny always felt in control.

Sheffield's left winger dispelled that silly myth that the women's game is a polite and quaint version of the men's, she certainly made good use of profanity "Liner, fucking advantage, are you fucking going to fucking play for five fucking minutes until they fucking score". In fairness she was their best player.

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: Oh, I should do a Big Boobs and Fire and say that I had three pints of St Austell Tribute before (the best pint of the day), a Doom Bar at half-time and after.
                                    If I'd been drinking Tribute and Doombar, the last thing I'd do is tell anyone about it.

Comment

Karvina 1 Mlada Boleslav 1

Into Silesia for this game, alternatively billed as miners vs carmakers since Karvina still has working pits and Boleslav is the home of Skoda.

Excellent game, which Karvina should have won. The visiting goalkeeper thwarted them with five fine saves, before he was finally beaten in the 72nd minute. 5 mins later, Karvina failed to properly clear a cross, and Boleslav had their equaliser.

Boleslav were a team of giants to resemble Bassett-era Wimbledon, or at least Tony Pulis's Stoke. When Lukas Magera joined the fray for the 2nd half, they had three players of 6ft 5ins or more.

Comment

Crystal Staples wrote: I'll be at the weekend's only all-ticket sixth level game in the world. Someone will prove me wrong now. Anyway, home to FCUM then out for some drinks in Altrincham.
                                        This was the highest ever attendance for a Conference North/South match, 5630, about 200 higher than the previous record which was a play-off final between Telford and Guiseley. Fantastic 2-1 win, more tense than it needed to be, thanks to a needless handball in the box and some dreadful crossing.

Comment

Eintracht 0 Ingolstadt 2
                                          First half red card for key defender, followed by injury to second key defender, followed by missed penalty kick, followed by generally poor defending and lackluster forward play. So third-placed Frankfurt went down at home to 17th. placed Ingolstadt. It was hard for me to care, though - got the Lincoln result a few minutes before kick-off. Only thing I needed was a home goal to let out all my emotion.

@JVL - I've seen the Zwickau away support in action, a few years back when they were way down the pyramid and playing at Dresden Nord Reserves. They livened the place up no end, but were herded in and out of town by a large police battalion.

Comment

Somerset Trojans 2-0 North Village Rams

So the previously top of the table Rams drop to third after this defeat to mid-table Trojans. North Village controlled most of the game, but could not find a way through a determined and organized Somerset defence, who hit them twice on the break. As the cliché goes, if North Village had played all week, they wouldn't have scored. After a week of cold temperatures (13C is cold here), it was nice to have a warm, sunny day for the game. Even though I am 3,500 miles away, very happy Scunny got a point at the Blades, especially with ten men for most of the second half. Billy Sharp continues his run of scoring against us though, bastard always does it, coming back to bite the hand that used to feed him.

Comment

Whyteleafe 3 Horsham 1

A very pleasant visit to a ground and club I'd heard a lot of good things about. Church Road is a lovely wooded spot in the North Downs and the ground and clubhouse are pretty damn good for Isthmian South level with a lovely atmosphere.

The home side played very impressive passing football, aided by their 3G pitch I imagine, and really should have put the visitors away long before the two goals in a few minutes early in the second half. Horsham hammered away but never looked like scoring in open play. They did manage to briefly threaten a comeback with a penalty but Whyteleafe's clinching third goal finished them, doubly so as it was a halfway house between a goal direct from a corner and an og from the keeper, eventually given to the set piece taker.

Fulham 0 Tottenham Hotspur 3

A great atmosphere pre-match and early on fizzled out as Spurs took almost total control through a sensibly-chosen strong side. Strangely, The Cottagers seemed to concede the initiative with their teamsheet as they didn't start two of the key players from the previous round's defeat of Hull - 16 year old wunderkind Ryan Sessegnon and loan striker Chris Martin.

The former caused some trouble when he finally came on at 0-2 but the latter never left the bench despite all four of the other Fulham attacking players used putting in anonymous, lightweight permanently offside performances. Speaking of offside, there appeared to be an element of it in at least two of Harry Kane's goals though the TV coverage may have borne out the official's decisions.

A good afternoon though, my boy enjoyed seeing Kane, Franchise no-mark Dele Alli and, primarily, living god Ben Davies. Unfortunately, I also had to answer his question about exactly what Spurs' interminable, boring, droning chant about "Being a yid" was about though luckily he missed the one about "having a party when Sol Campbell dies". I'd forgotten quite how charmless a bunch much of Spurs' travelling support are, even for a club of their size.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Crewe Alexandra

Under 23 action at our training ground this lunchtime. Not my most enjoyable matchgoing of the season, unexpectedly rainy which made it a bit grim with the wind. Plus it was a moderate game on a bobbly pitch. Gary Hooper scored for us on his comeback from injury, then Crewe scored twice in the first ten minutes of the second half through good use of the wind.

Comment

Crystal Staples wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Crystal Staples
                                                  I'll be at the weekend's only all-ticket sixth level game in the world. Someone will prove me wrong now. Anyway, home to FCUM then out for some drinks in Altrincham.
                                                  This was the highest ever attendance for a Conference North/South match, 5630, about 200 higher than the previous record which was a play-off final between Telford and Guiseley. Fantastic 2-1 win, more tense than it needed to be, thanks to a needless handball in the box and some dreadful crossing.
                                                  Higher than a Championship match on the same day. Burton Albion v Norwich got 5263.

Comment

Sat - matchplaying, rather than matchgoing, in Chiswick. A tremendous 1-0 against top of the league, who also happen to be the top goal scorers.

Sun - a return to Craven Cottage after the absence of 3 years (since that Gerrard last-minute pen). What a lovely place it is. Game over after Kane's 2nd but it was never really on. The post-match press conference was held in... a cafe. Jokanovic's English is absolutely awful.

Mon - Sutton... (sigh) About an hour before kick (just after Arsenal's arrival) Sutton United felt like a club on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Such contrast to the Leeds game, which actually felt very normal. The ensuing 3 weeks have left their scars. Thought they might've just about weathered it (e.g. the media day last Thursday was lovely) but then going to be with the S*n eventually caught up with them.
                                                    Thought the game was a bit odd - Sutton scared of Arsenal, Arsenal scared of the pitch. Respectable result and performance in the end but what if they tried to rattle the visitors early on?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X