Hearing classics for the first time - by the wrong people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was surprised to recently discover that rather than being a song written specifically for M & W, "Bring Me Sunshine" was recorded first by a number of US artists, most notably by Willie Nelson.

Comment

Snake Plissken wrote: Got introduced to Cats in the Cradle courtesy of California skate rockers Ugly Kid Joe.
      ..something that I had thought right up until reading your post there.

"Killing me Softly" is the one that always stands out for me though - I knew the Fugees version was a cover when it came out, because the DJs kept saying so, but I'd never heard the original. Which astounds me, as I seem to have heard the original thousands of times since.

Comment

Were you trying to say there you thought Ugly Kid Joe's version was the original until now, pebble? I can imagine so, anyway, as I'm certain I thought the same for years, having been introduced to it when I was about 14.

Getting into the minefield of samples, as opposed to true 'covers', your second part reminds me that the Fugees' follow-up number one hit Ready Or Not was sonically based around an eerie, almost subaquatic-sounding vocal bassline lifted from Enya's Boadicea. Naturally I was ignorant of this at the time, and thought "Well that's more original than just covering Killing Me Softly, isn't it?"... I don't think I came across the very fine original song for about another three years. A little while later again its same hook was sampled once more for Mario Winans' I Don't Wanna Know in 2003.

Meanwhile, I recall only finding out a month or two back that Ready Or Not is simultaneously a more straightforward cover of the Delphonics' Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love). It's fair to say that back in 1996 I was entirely unaware of the way hip-hop and r 'n' b songs would be constructed from spot-welding components of older hits often wholesale like this.

Comment

The Jam's cover of David Watts was another that I didn't realise until years later was a cover. Now I much prefer the Kinks' version.

Comment

Eric Clapton's 1974 version of 'I Shot The Sheriff'. Although I was aware when it was released that it was a cover version, it was a good long while before I heard the original from the preceding year.

Comment

Hardly a classic, I know, but it's something I had to mention as a 'postscript' to my previous This Mortal Coil rants on this thread.

Richenel featured heavily on the later two of the three TMC albums and this was because 4AD had previously (re-)released his stunning cover version of Armande Altai's 'L'esclave Endormi' as a 12" single.

This is Richenel's original cover version, but it only appeared as the 'AA' side to the almost beatless version that may have been exclusive to the 4AD release (though I can't be sure of that).

Either way, it's a fantastic vocal performance and paved the way for his performances on the TMC classic covers of 'I Must Have Been Blind' and 'Firebrothers'.

Comment

evilC wrote: I have to assume that none of you have ever heard the Age Of Chance version? That'll blow your cobwebs out, whatever you think of their 'period' attire!
                Red Gazelles. *swoon*

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                  Originally posted by evilC
                  I have to assume that none of you have ever heard the Age Of Chance version? That'll blow your cobwebs out, whatever you think of their 'period' attire!
                  Red Gazelles. *swoon*
                  I must assume that this is a reference to some kind of athletic shoe or 'trainer', as I understand the young people are wont to call them, these days?

Personally, I'm more impressed with their choice of cycling shirts, with the Mondrian-inspired 'La Vie Claire' being the highlight:

-

-

It was because of Age Of Chance that I started buying cycling shirts - of whatever kind - from secondhand shops and sale rails. My Raleigh Banana one was my fave. (Can't fit into it now, though!) :

-

-

-

Comment

evilC's Dad, c1965

Comment

No, that was more like my brothers.

My Dad would have been shaking his fist at them as they rode by!

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                        Originally posted by evilC
                        I have to assume that none of you have ever heard the Age Of Chance version? That'll blow your cobwebs out, whatever you think of their 'period' attire!
                        Red Gazelles. *swoon*
                        I have a pair of red suede Gazelle OG that I have worn precisely three times as I'm scared I'll ruin them.

Yes, since you ask, I do need help.

Comment

Far too many to list but off the top of my head
                          I Only Have Eyes For You by Art Garfunkel
                          It's In His Kiss by Linda Lewis
                          Blinded By The Light by M.M.E.B
                          Midnight Rider by Paul Davidson
                          and a couple from the 80s
                          From Head To Toe by Elvis Costello
                          Pass The Dutchie by Musical Youth
                          Where Did Your Heart Go? by Wham!

Comment

Blinded By The Light by M.M.E.B
                            I have always thought that this is the best version. And I think we had a thread/mild rammy in the past about whether Springsteen covers are better than his originals (hint: they are.)

Comment

Paul Davidson's version of Midnight Rider was easily the equal of the original. Some might even argue that it was superior...

Comment

Working...
                              X