Hearing classics for the first time - by the wrong people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought UB40's Signing Off when I was a teenager (forget the last 30 years, their first two albums were good). "Strange Fruit" is on it. I had never heard the song before, and didn't understand it. Where were these southern trees, in cider orchards? Perhaps it was about a nice English summer's day. Anyway, I pushed the needle on to the ones I preferred, like King (about Jesus, I guessed. Look, it was a sheltered Devon childhood, OK?).

Some time later Billie Holliday put me right, with a kick in the guts. Ouch.

There have been others, from "Heatwave" (the Jam) to "Yellow Submarine" (er, Pinky and Perky). Yours?

I can't imagine Strange Fruit having the same impact being sung by a pasty Brummie, to be honest.
    Until recently I hadn't realised that I Fought The Law had been written by one of The Crickets (and not Jimmy either).

Comment

When I first heard Bowie's Ziggy Stardust at 12 I thought it wasn't a patch on Bauhaus.

Comment

I though Rebel Rebel was a real cracker the first time I ever heard it....by The Bay City Rollers.

Comment

First time I heard Let It Be was the Ferry Aid version.

Comment

You know that classic Yes song America? It was recorded much earlier by a duo called Simon & Garfunkel..

Comment

Fist time I heard I Shall Be Released was by The Tom Robinson Band (b-side of their biggest hit)

Comment

WOM wrote: You know that classic Yes song America? It was recorded much earlier by a duo called Simon & Garfunkel..
                I've only ever known it as a Simon & Garfunkel song, but that's because I'm not a sad old hippy.

Comment

The excellent Mission Of Burma rather passed me by when I was just a Junior Music Curmudgeon - to which end, the first time I heard That's When I Reach for My Revolver, it was the Graham Coxon version.

All rather poor, really.

Comment

Three of Dylan's songs :

Blowin' in the Wind - first heard the Seekers' version
                    A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall - first heard Bryan Ferry's version
                    Mr Tambourine Man - first heard the Byrds' version

Also, Dear Prudence - first heard Siousxie and the Banshees' version.

Comment

Wait a minute, Siouxie and the Banshees' version of Dear Prudence is great. I'd hardly say it was the "wrong" one to hear.

Must be loads of '90s boyband songs that introduced me to '70s classics in, shall we say, a marginally less than ideal version. 911's More Than A Woman (Bee Gees) and A Little Bit More (Dr Hook) spring immediately to mind.

Comment

Bananarama - Help
                        Robert Palmer - Mercy Mercy Me - it's not awful, per se but... y'know...
                        Green Jelly - Anarchy In The UK

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Fist time I heard I Shall Be Released was by The Tom Robinson Band (b-side of their biggest hit)
                          Heh...the first time I heard Listen to The Radio it was Pukka Orchestra's version.

Comment

Also, every single first wave ska classic by second wave ska bands; Specials, Beat, Madness, Selector, etc.

Comment

Bowies Pin Ups was my first exposure to just about all of the songs on it apart from those of the Who.

Comment

WOM wrote: You know that classic Yes song America? It was recorded much earlier by a duo called Simon & Garfunkel..
                                Seeing somebody write that makes me feel really old.

How about Cocteau Twins with Song To The Siren and This Mortal Coil with Another Day? Not exactly the wrong people (Tim Buckley and Roy Harper respectively), but very different.

I was also very surprised (and a little disappointed) to find out that A Camp's The Bluest Eyes In Texas was a cover version.

Then there's Fear Satan a song written by The New Seekers and a minor hit for them in the 1970s, but later covered by Mogwai on their Young Team album.

Comment

Charity stop stalwart No Parlez contained a few, particularly Wherever I Lay My Hat and Love of the Common People.

Thankfully I'd heard the original version of Love Will Tear Us Apart. beforehand.

Comment

Until now, I hadn't realized that No Parlez was basically an entire covers album. Who does that for their first effort? Like...why?

Comment

I guess that is where he decided to lay his hat.

Back in the 80's it was still pretty common for an artist to have all their songs written by others with no credit (Stock Aitken Waterman etc) - the practice of sharing writing credits for pop-stars has only recently become more a thing.

At which point, if you aren't getting a publishing royalty, do you really give a shit who does get paid?

Comment

Anyhow - it had two of his songs on the flip-side. Then each of the singles guaranteed had a Young track on the other side. It is how a terrible song writer makes money.

Comment

and indeed that is what he did

Comment

WOM wrote: Also, every single first wave ska classic by second wave ska bands; Specials, Beat, Madness, Selector, etc.
                                            I don't think covers as part of a revival period really count. They're just doing what they say on the tin. It should be a bit more incongruous, Doris Day warbling Leonard Cohen, that kind of thing*. If it's The Beat, for example, "Can't Get Used to Losing You would qualify if you later heard Andy Williams crooning away and thought he was destroying a Two-Tone gem.

(*may not have actually happened - if it has, we demand a link)

Comment

UB40 - Can't help falling in love with you

Comment

UB40 are guilty on a number of counts, which probably defines my age.

Red, Red Wine and I Got You, Babe come to mind.

Just a couple of days ago (on a related note) I was thinking of songs I was first introduced to because of pastiches on British adverts. I was introduced to How Do You Do It thanks to Do It All; and Up, Up and Away was from Fiesta kitchen towels. I'm sure there were many others.

Comment

I think UB40's version of (I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You – as I believe they retitled it – was really good. They changed it up a lot musically (and I don't mean just put a lite-reggae backing on it, gave it some proper oomph) and it was a deserved UK number one in 1993.
                                                  I'm not saying it was superior to Elvis, just... different.

Actually, the same goes for their Red, Red Wine.
                                                  And as for their I Got You Babe... um, actually, not so much, no.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X