Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tours and Kickstarter - 'double-dipping'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, I understand the 'logistical' advantage of having a pot of money, up front, in order to fund a (national) tour, but doesn't this potentially amount to 'double-dipping'?

I was a fan of Shriekback, back in the day, and I'm keen to see them, now they're active again. But this feels a) slightly disappointing, and b) almost like the fans are being 'held to ransom': if you don't donate, you don't get a tour. ...And then, I assume the fans are supposed to pay for tickets *as well*?

Hmmmm...! I hope this doesn't become standard practice?

Or is it, already? Have many other bands done this?

If you give them a grand you get two tickets and backstage access?

Comment

I would consider this rather cynical.

Comment

The idea is to raise money for a tour, but you've got to give them a thousand quid before your donation will actually entitle you to be present at the tour without forking out on top for a ticket. Yeah, that does seem a bit shit.

Comment

Yes, it does.

Work out how much you'll need to do a free tour or show, and raise that. Or do it the way everyone else does.

Comment

Yes, it's cynical. Book a tour of venues you can fill, sell tickets and play them. Simple. It's also pretentious. "Spend £1000 to 'hang out' with us"? It just screams of David Brent paying Foregone Conclusion to have a drink with him.

Although CD (or whatever the kids have nowadays) kickstarters aren't much better, there are genuinely a lot of upfront costs with producing recorded output and the benefits - that I have seen - tend to be more affordable, £50 for a signed copy etc.

Comment

I contributed to the De La Soul one a year and a half ago. Paid $75 for a copy of the CD and a t-shirt. Found that quite alright.

For me to even consider contributing to a kickstarter tour, rewards should definitely include a concert ticket.

Comment

Working...
              X