• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If You Could Save One Life

Just me for Bob Marley then?

Comment

evilC wrote: I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Tim or Jeff Buckley yet. (Or have they? - I possibly missed some things, skim-reading!)

Mind you, would either of them have evolved much, past what they had already done?

Brian Wilson. He might not have evolved much, but what he did, he did very well.
      But you're not pitching him, obviously. Given that he's still alive and that.

I could see Tim joining our fantasy pantheon of former-musician writers, too. Jeff I reckon would've become a movie actor - perhaps appearing in a couple of David Lynch films.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Just me for Bob Marley then?
        I think he would have bought a football club.

Comment

Benjm wrote:
          Originally posted by delicatemoth
          Arthur Russell.
          I'm always a bit baffled how people can profess to like New Order while at the same time saying that they think that both the singer and the songs are shit.
          Jah probably answered this adequately, but I was a decent New Order fan back in the '80s. Decent as in I danced to their tunes, knew the lyrics, and bought a few albums. But in retrospect, a lot of it is just plain tepid. And Barney really doesn't have good singing pipes. I mean, he sings New Order songs just fine, but would you want an album of covers from him? I think the got a lot of goodwill out of having been Joy Division.

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: I am not really a fan and don't know much about him but am surprised that no-one has mentioned Tupac.
            I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever heard a Tupac song. I sort of thought he was more renowned from dying than from making enduring music.

Comment

Been pondering on this. Think I am going to go with Joe Meek.

Comment

I thought Tupac faked his own death and was alive and well in Cuba?

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Been pondering on this. Think I am going to go with Joe Meek.
                  My heart would agree with you; I'm just not sure my head would.

I think Meek got wrongfooted by the beat groups. The only contemporary thing he produced was Have I the Right by The Honeycombs. Had he lived, he might well just have faded away.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                    Originally posted by Benjm
                    Originally posted by delicatemoth
                    Arthur Russell.
                    I'm always a bit baffled how people can profess to like New Order while at the same time saying that they think that both the singer and the songs are shit.
                    Jah probably answered this adequately, but I was a decent New Order fan back in the '80s. Decent as in I danced to their tunes, knew the lyrics, and bought a few albums. But in retrospect, a lot of it is just plain tepid. And Barney really doesn't have good singing pipes. I mean, he sings New Order songs just fine, but would you want an album of covers from him? I think the got a lot of goodwill out of having been Joy Division.
                    He absolutely did. The only condition I'd make here, however, is that the first clutch of New Order 45s were pretty good. I appreciate that Ian C wrote Ceremony, but the jury's out on whether any of his input was present in Procession - which has remained among my favourite tracks for the past 35+ years. Temptation got a unanimous thumbs-up at the time and remains decent, IMO - suggesting as it did a shift away from post-Curtisisms. Blue Monday split opinion, as I recall - Peel didn't like it, for one - but obviously has since sold sh*tloads and become the group standard. (It all got a bit woolly from the aforementioned Thieves Like Us, as far as I was concerned...)

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus
                    Just me for Bob Marley then?
                    I think he would have bought a football club.
                    Pink Floyd earworm.

Comment

evilC wrote: I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Tim or Jeff Buckley yet. (Or have they? - I possibly missed some things, skim-reading!)

Mind you, would either of them have evolved much, past what they had already done?
                      I can't answer re Jeff Buckley, but I don't think Tim would. His trajectory was pretty clear. The same goes for Tim Hardin, or Jim Morrison for that matter. It's easy to say in retrospect but they were clearly facing a void not a future.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                        Originally posted by evilC
                        ...Brian Wilson. He might not have evolved much, but what he did, he did very well.
                        But you're not pitching him, obviously. Given that he's still alive and that...
                        D'OH!!!

I meant to write "Dennis", but ended up putting "Brian" as I was thinking about the Beach Boys! Poop!

Anyway... not only is Dennis 'the dead one', but he is also 'my favourite Beach Boy', i.e. the one with the 'grown-up tunes'.

Had he survived, I could have seen him evolving a bit and perhaps ending up doing soundtracks. (Hopefully not ad music, though!)

Comment

Since 1998, Carl's also been 'the dead one'.

Comment

Most of those I would consider have been mentioned above (Meek, Redding, Cooke, Williams) but I would consider John Coltrane, Patsy Cline, Robert Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

But just for the hell of it, I pick Brian Epstein.
                              That's a great call if we delve into the realms of science fiction - the knock-on effect would be an extension to Epstein's contract, no Ono-obsessed Lennon, no Beatles break-up and no assassination in New York. Two lives saved!

Comment

I'll second the Bob Marley nomination. He had not obviously 'peaked' and had far more to contribute. Unlike Hank Williams or Brian Jones, for example, was not in a process of self-destruction. The cancer was a bit of a freak, spreading from the big toe. And he was big enough to have affected global political opinion in some way. Perhaps his idea were just as half-baked as Lennon's but I think he could still have evolved those ideas into better ones, unlike Lennon.

Buddy Holly - yes, definitely: imagine if he had worked with The Beatles.

Jazz: Bix Beiderbecke, Charlie Christian, Lester Young, Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane - but dying young was often* part of the legacy of that lifestyle.

*But not always: Charlie Christian died from TB (and was buried in an unmarked grave).
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-05-2018, 21:54.

Comment

Jaco Pastorius. I'd hope that my powers to preserve his life would extend to removing the demons of addiction and the mental health issues that plagued much of his life and made him such an arse in his later years.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                    Most of those I would consider have been mentioned above (Meek, Redding, Cooke, Williams) but I would consider John Coltrane, Patsy Cline, Robert Johnson.
                                    Robert Johnson was the name that I was surprised was only mentioned once in passing on this thread. There are only a couple of dozen extant recorded songs by him, or something. If he had still be around he would have been a superstar attraction of the 1960s Folk Revival. Blind Lemon Jefferson would also likely have played Newport in 1963 alongside Mississippi John Hurt, but being a couple of decades older than Johnson Jefferson would likely have had a similar trajectory to Hurt. Johnson, by contrast, would only have been in his early 50s in 1963. He could conceivably have maintained a performing career up to the 70s or even 80s.

Another born at a similar time to Johnson was Django Reinhart. Again there was the best part of half-a-century of recording and exceptional playing lost there. Reinhart's main collaborator, Stéfano Grappelli, only died in 1997 and released his last new material in 1990.

Comment

Support for Django Reinhart. Also Al Bowly. Wonderfully interpretive singer. Wonder where he would have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                        Robert Johnson was the name that I was surprised was only mentioned once in passing on this thread. There are only a couple of dozen extant recorded songs by him, or something. If he had still be around he would have been a superstar attraction of the 1960s Folk Revival. ... [He] would only have been in his early 50s in 1963. He could conceivably have maintained a performing career up to the 70s or even 80s.
                                        Indeed, had he gone on in the same way as the likes of BB King or John Lee Hooker, it could easily have been a lot longer than that – it's plausible even that Robert Johnson could have performed in the 21st century, as barmy as that sounds for someone who died 18 months before the Second World War started. Johnson was probably born only about a year before Hooker (both men's dates of birth are still subject to some debate, but they seem most likely to have been 1911 and 1912 respectively), and Hooker was still Boom Booming up to the turn of the millennium and lived until 2001.

Comment

Working...
                                        X