2017 baseball thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Be glad that your guys don't play more games in Oakland.

The East Bay appears to be NYY Kryptonite.
    Memories of '89, when the A's were the first team in Major League history to sweep an entire season's worth of series from the Yanks (I believe they went 13-0.)

They were close, (4 losses by 6 combined runs,) but LAWD this is where the pitching is going to bite them in the Streinbrenner.

Comment

Yes. We are getting by on hitting. The pitching has been pretty good, but we don't have a stud. Where's this Japanese guy that can pitch AND hit?

Comment

This is nice, watching Boston v Kansas City.

Apparently Mookie Betts could only play baseball (or perhaps soccer) because he's so small and no other sport would have found a place for him.

They've mentioned the Negro League Museum a lot, is it a good museum?

Oh, and is the Royals name a direct tribute to the Monarchs or are they both more in a Kansas city tradition?

Comment

What the hell? Kansas City isn't in Kansas?

Comment

There are two Kansas Cities, one on each aside of the Missouri River.

The relatively well off, predominantly white one that hosts the sports teams and cultural institutions is in Missouri; the disadvantaged, predominantly black one is in Kansas.

See also St. Louis, Missouri and East St Louis, Illinois and Palo Alto and East Palo Alto, California.

The Monarchs' legacy was a factor in the choice of the Royals name, but not the sole factor.

The museum is quite good and getting better all the time, as is the jazz museum nearby.

Comment

Another homer for Happ.

Comment

Bottom of the 8th. Sox walk three guys and then give up a HR to Salvador Perez for his first career grand slam. Now 4-6 Royals. Still bottom of the 8th, still 0 outs.
                Last edited by Levin; 21-06-2017, 21:13.

Comment

The Orioles have given up at least five runs in their last 19 consecutive games.

They are one game short of equaling the all time MLB record.

Comment

Bellinger > Judge

Comment

Yesterday the Blue Jays failed to reach .500 at the ninth opportunity this season, yet they're still in the playoff hunt. Ain't parity wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                        Bellinger > Judge

Aye, RIGHT!

Comment

Judge is a more accurate hitter, but only 3 more HRs than Cody in 45 more at bats.

Comment

Just watched a fantastic game of Texas at the Yankees. 0-0 into the ninth, Texas take the lead, Yankees get an equaliser. In the 10th, Yankees get the final out with the bases loaded, to end it. Then some good hitting works a walk off single for a Yankees win.

And it wasn't even the best walk-off of the night. Kansas get two from a single, runner from first, to beat Toronto.
                            Last edited by Gerontophile; 24-06-2017, 05:19.

Comment

And to top those, Harper gets his only hit for a walk off Nats win in the 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                Judge is a more accurate hitter, but only 3 more HRs than Cody in 45 more at bats.
                                Judge has about 60 points on batting average, but I will cede that otherwise Bellinger is as good, and will only get better. And I know I am getting old, when I remember seeing (on TV) the fathers of current players.

Comment

What colour boots or shoes were worn traditionally?

Comment

Black

Charlie Finley was the first to introduce white shoes for an entire team with his brightly plumed Oakland A's of the late 60s, whose official colours were given as California Gold, Kelly Green and Wedding Gown White. Finley later tried imposing that scheme on his much less successful California Golden Seals (ice hockey, including then scandalous white skates) and Memphis Tams (basketball) clubs.

The white shoes became so much a part of the club's image that they were featured on its badge

Last edited by ursus arctos; 25-06-2017, 11:54.

Comment

BTW, the Orioles broke their string of pitching futility yesterday, allowing only three runs in a win at Tampa Bay.

Comment

That photo is amazing.

And thank you for the answer.

Comment

That's Vida Blue, who may have been the most electrifying pitcher I ever saw

Drug problems, injuries and the general tendency for MLB batters to "figure out" pitchers dulled his impact, but when he first burst upon the scene he was an absolute phenomenon.

He still won over 200 games, was the first pitcher ever to start the All Star Game for each league and is widely thought to have been the hardest throwing left-handed pitcher who ever lived.

Comment

Don't forget he got jerked around by Finley, and threw 312 innings as a 21 year old.

Comment

Very true

Charlie treated Vida as a goose who laid golden eggs

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                What colour boots or shoes were worn traditionally?
                                                I'm not sure, but I think the technology to reliably match team colors on the shoes didn't exist until the 80s, so the choices before were black, white, or, I suppose, brown.

Finley initiated the white shoes along with the colorful uniforms to coincide with the growth of color television, of course.

Comment

I am a little surprised as I think that cricket has been white boots for over a century at least. I think. I might just have made an unwarranted assumption.

Comment

There's been a half-hearted bench clearing in the Dodgers v Angels game. When the relief pitchers meandered up, there is a (probably not very) shortarse Angel, trying to block this huge Dodger, and you can tell they are both pissing themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X