2017 baseball thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 baseball thread

Well, I run my mouth a lot so it took a lot to get a major disagreement with UA. Haha.

I should clarify that I like the idea of a world baseball championship. I just don't like how it happens in its current form. If this happened at a time when players were in shape and if teams were made up of players that had some true connection to the country (as is the case with DR, PR, Japan, Korea) then I'm totally down with the idea. But I'm just not down with someone playing for Italy who has probably never been to Italy and I'm not down with this happening at a time when pitchers aren't really ready yet and hitters still need to work out their timing.

But none of that is meant to convince y'all; it's just an expression of an opinion. I don't have enough invested in this for better or worse. I would add that in general I am not a fan of these types of situations (e.g., I don't like it when NHL players participate in the Olympics). When something feels like an exhibition, I don't need it stretched out beyond a game or two, but one person's exhibition is another person's competitive tournament.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Italy has domestic baseball, though, and some of their team play in the IBL. It's good experience for them and may help grow the game there. That's the idea, anyway. Israel only has two guys with Israeli citizenship and only one that plays in their league. But they do have a league.

I'd rather see players only play for their "real" country too, but those ersatz teams aren't likely to advance anyway.

Netherlands is a different case in that most of their players come from their colonies. So they're genuinely Dutch in one sense, but not in another.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Well, if he hates NHL players in the Olympics, then it just isn't worth engaging in this context.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Honkbal takes up a lot of pages on the Dutch Teletext IIRC.

In tonight's game, Puerto Rico have just had 6 hits in a row off the USA starter. 3-0, bases loaded, no outs. (Marcus Stroman is about to be hooked.)

Comment

2017 baseball thread

A sac fly leads to another run, but Yadier Molina is out at 3rd after stepping off. 4-0.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Top of the 6th, and Adam Jones hits a solo shot to make it 4-3, after Andrew McCutcheon gets kicked out for arguing calls.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Thats a shocking decision at 3rd base. Crawford gets tagged at 3rd, but the umpire calls safe.

Puerto Rico strike out the next batter anyway, and win 6-5.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

USA play Dominicana again tomorrow to see who goes through with Puerto Rico.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

After a cracking game, the USA win 6-3 and go through to play Japan in the semi-final.

Puerto Rico play Netherlands in the other.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Or as the WBC official twitter feed insists on calling them "The Kingdom of the Netherlands", which when you have restrictions in characters seems a bit wasteful of them.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Damn you. Now I'm looking for a list of formal country names.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Click on "Teams" at the top, then the individual flags

It looks like NED are unique in their formality, perhaps reflecting the fact that most of the team (and all of the stars) are from the Caribbean rather than Holland

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Looked like a great atmosphere in San Diego. I just worry that the semifinals and final being during the week and starting at 6pm, prime drive time traffic hours in LA, is going to make for some really weak crowds.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

I have nothing to offer other than I have a new Blue Jays T-shirt.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

MLB is strangely fastidious about calling them Kingdom of the Netherlands. It's the sui generis arrangement (more integrated than Puerto Rico, less than France's overseas departements) that allows Holland and the Caribbean to cobble together a competitive team, but I don't really think Curacao is that bothered about being just called the Dutch or the Netherlands in this context. It's slightly odd, considering MLB had no problem calling a team of American Jews Israel while the Curacao guys are all Dutch-speaking Dutch citizens.

The team is getting a reasonable amount of attention in Holland, but there's only so much coverage you can get as a minority sport whose games are often in the middle of the night. Their results do consistently make the newspapers, it helps that one of the big sports presenters at NOS, Mart Smeets, is an avowed baseball fan (he writes a column basically saying "I love honkbal, it's my favorite sport" about once a year) and the Telegraaf, the big Bild-style newspaper, is a big honkbal supporter and tends to feature baseball news more prominently than expected. AD in Rotterdam as well (the Randstad as a whole is where baseball is most popular).

So while it's not as big a story as the election, it's definitely more than the US rugby team would get if it made the semifinals of the World Cup.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Another cracking game this: 3-3 Middle of the 5th. There was a weird out in the first, when one of the Dutch guys was cheerleading the crowd, came off the base, and get tagged out. TWAT!

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Henley Jansen dealing the gas in the 9th, and we are off to extra innings.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

FUCKERS. The game runs over 10pm, and the next game is the Padres, so they have a blackout, and I am missing extra innings. FUCKERS.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Going to the eleventh and that stupid fucking rule: runners on first and second, no outs.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

I logged on to the MLB Network website, and ran it through the TV, since you ask.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Puerto Rico win on a sac fly to center, with a shitty throw to home.

Oh well. Still, another good game.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Javy Baez is good at baseball.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Fascinating game going on. 1-1 Top of the 7th, and it has been raining heavily with no breaks.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

USA win 2-1. Great pitching, horrible conditions.

Comment

2017 baseball thread

Not too many tickets available on Stubhub any more, I guess most people were waiting to see if the US made it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X