No announcement yet.

2017 baseball thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The brutal part is that they got to Verlander and would have beaten the top two starters. now this is a series. Then again, my prediction was Dodgers in 6.

The bullpen is going to have to re-group.

Comment

As Bunk from The Wire would say: Sheeeeeeeit

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
        As Bunk from The Wire would say: Sheeeeeeeit

Goddamn, this game. I'm going to need a week off after this, no matter what happens. Tied 5-5 in the 10th.

Comment

I thought that second home run given up by Fields was going to be it for this game. Getting a run back was do-able against Giles but 2? Damn. The Dodgers need to win this now because the pen is empty other than McCarthy and I don't trust him to do much after his long layoff from competitive action.

Comment

Our man Ray got himself quite the ballgame

Comment

Let me try that again: Damn

Comment

The normal bad parts that a bullpen would have over 10 games got saved up for one foul eruption tonight.

Comment

The bullpen is completely empty. LA needs to win in the 11th or basically give up. Tie it up and Puig might pitch.

Comment

Darvish needs to do the business in the next game.

Comment

3-1 in the 8th. Damn. Combination of bad management and Houston's bats coming to life. Feel like the Dodgers could have still won it, but they kept letting Houston get too far ahead.
                      Last edited by Incandenza; 26-10-2017, 04:42.

Comment

I saw the first 5 innings, and the 11th. Great stuff at the end, but I can't help feeling that I missed the best of it.

It won't be good for Ray's jetlag.

Comment

I hope Ray is able to get home easily--two small fires broke out near the stadium, and the 5 is partially closed.

Comment

I was restricted to watching the live text updates on MLB.com.

Predictably this proved an emotionless jaunt through stats, underlining the fact I was missing a clearly absorbing game.

Comment

Los Doyers are now 98-1 when entering the ninth inning with a lead

Comment

Jebus, talk about being put through the wringer! Lawd knows how died in the wool Dodgers fans can deal with that after thirty years, I was a wreck by the end.

Amazing occasion, great game, sickener of a result. My mate spent much of the night eulogising Roberts’ bold game-winning decisions and then watched with disbelief as he burned through all the pitchers.

Now I’m going to sleep for a day.

Comment

Ray, was that the first baseball game you've attended?!

I was a wreck by the end.

It was so fucking tense! And I am not partisan at all - OK, maybe a slight preference for Houston on account of them never having won it and having fewer, less repulsive beards. But I'm basically neutral.

Is there a special stat or title for a pitcher who makes a single pitch for a double play?

Comment

It was my second game, my first was Kyle Farmer’s walk off base hit in his first at bat back in July.

Fair to say I’ve seen some drama at Dodger Stadium.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-10-2017, 00:31.

Comment

Having read the reports, I'm watching the replay of last nights game. None of them mentioned the wild pick off attempt in the bottom of the tenth, with the score tied at 5-all. If that had marginally less off-target and missed the umpire there would have been a reasonable chance of the runner on second getting home and winning the game. The Astros outfielders can't have been in position to deal with something like that.
                                      Last edited by Janik; 26-10-2017, 22:21.

Comment

Absolutely, he gets to 3rd base at the very least.

Comment

As AJ Hinch said in the post-game press conference, the baseball gods seemed to be balancing things out. Taylor had that ball bounce off his face and go right to Peterson and then the ump gets hit with the pickoff. In the first scenario, Houston has a much bigger inning. In the second situation, the Dodgers probably win. But if the first hadn't happened, maybe the second doesn't factor because the game is over.

Comment

I thought Hinch's comment that Laz Diaz (the umpire) was exactly where the Astros wanted him on that play was excellent, especially given the Astros' propensity for altering their defensive alignment in response to a deep analysis of each batter's tendencies.

But yes, in a normal game that play would have gotten huge play in post-game commentary. But given everything else that happened, it was at best a footnote.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                              Having read the reports, I'm watching the replay of last nights game. None of them mentioned the wild pick off attempt in the bottom of the tenth, with the score tied at 5-all. If that had marginally less off-target and missed the umpire there would have been a reasonable chance of the runner on second getting home and winning the game. The Astros outfielders can't have been in position to deal with something like that.
                                              Yes, I was thinking about that last night. The guy I was with said as soon as it happened “We would have won the game right there.”

Comment

That's a very Dodger Blue view.

As Inca said, he would have gotten to third, but no farther. Center fielders are trained to back up throws from the catcher to second base starting in Little League. At this level, it is absolutely automatic.

Comment

Hernandez wasn't going to score from second but he would have been at third with 1 (?) out. Who knows what would have happened. Madden would probably use a squeeze play in that situation but I don't know if Roberts is a fan of that move. So, third with 1 (?) out is not a guarantee (or even with 0 outs). But it is a big difference.

I just saw on MLB Network that Jansen has only given up a home run 3 times in his career when he had a better 0-2. Two were last season, oddly, and the other was Springer. Out of all of this, I have to think that Fields and Stripling will be the last options going forward.

Comment

Absolutely. Cingrani should have gotten in earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X