No announcement yet.

2017 baseball thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s the hottest sporting event you’ve ever attended?

I don’t recall having broken the 100 Fahrenheit barrier since I was a kid

Comment

Excellent Ray. Wear orange.

Comment

Wow, congrats. Where are you going tonight?

And you say a "couple of tickets". Is that other one being put to use...?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          Early season UCLA football home games are often miserable...because of the heat! They can be miserable in other respects as well, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
            Wow, congrats. Where are you going tonight?

And you say a "couple of tickets". Is that other one being put to use...?
            Ha ha, I’m afraid it’s promised to a Welsh mate exiled out here who is a massive Dodgers fan.

Not a clue where I am watching tonight yet. Might go wandering looking for a good dive/sports bar in West Hollywood -if there is such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              What’s the hottest sporting event you’ve ever attended?

Ooh, now I have to think. Some of the 2012 Olympic events were baking but can’t imagine they were hotter than LA right now

Comment

There's the Barney's Beanery, which would probably be popular. Bludso's on La Brea isn't really a sports bar, but you'd get to have great BBQ while watching the games (they have TVs). If you want to go a bit further, BiergartenLA is on the edge of Koreatown close to East Hollywood and it's supposed to have some great food (Korean and German)

Comment

Jackie Robinson's family will be throwing out the first pitch tonight.

Comment

Excitement has given way to nausea.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                      There's the Barney's Beanery, which would probably be popular. Bludso's on La Brea isn't really a sports bar, but you'd get to have great BBQ while watching the games (they have TVs). If you want to go a bit further, BiergartenLA is on the edge of Koreatown close to East Hollywood and it's supposed to have some great food (Korean and German)
                      Yeah, I’m not feeling too adventurous given the heat and jetlag so am at Barney’s. Not unbearably full...yet.

Comment

A very interesting piece from Ben Lindbergh on how the Dodgers are the worst possible matchup for Keuchel because he relies on batters chasing pitches out of the strike zone, and LAD are the most disciplined team in the league.

Though there is this:

Comment

Boom

Comment

Welcome to the big leagues!

Comment

Apart from the HR, Keuchel has looked good. Kershaw is dealing, but his pitch to Correa could have turned out badly.

Comment

Fantastic performance from Kershaw. Kuechel was pretty good, but just a few mistakes which were costly. Let's see how the bullpens do.

Comment

Hell yeah. 15 of the last 17 game 1 winners went on to win the WS. This is good news. That game flew. Joe Buck said it was the shortest since 1992.

I don't know the temperature but I went to a Cruz Azul-Atlas match a few years back in August and it was so hot that I thought I was going to pass out. I felt sick. Then about 30 minutes in the rains came down heavy. I stayed put and it felt amazing.

Comment

I went to Sevilla v Deportivo La Coruña ten years ago this month, and I think the temperature was above 40 degrees Celsius (as it seemed to be for basically my entire time in the city). I bought a two-litre bottle of water right outside the ground, they wouldn't let me in with it so I drank the whole thing before going in, and before kick off I thought I was going to faint. Fortunately the sun dipped below the top of the stand at some point during the match.

Haven't been to anything that hot since, in no small part because the Argentine footballers' union don't allow games in the height of summer.

Comment

Photos of the back covers of previous world series featuring the Dodgers. As the tweet says, it's been a while
                                      https://twitter.com/nightowlcards/st...06013904318465

Comment

Kershaw now has 5 postseason games with 10+ strikeouts, Koufax has 3. All of Koufax's came in the World Series, though (and he still has the team record for highest, with 15 Ks in Game 1 of the 1963 WS). And two of Koufax's 10 K games were just 3 days apart, games 5 and 7 of the 1965 World Series...which were both complete game shutouts. Unbelievable.

Justin Turner also matched the Dodgers record for RBI in the postseason, tying Duke Snider's 26 RBIs. This has been mentioned by TBS and now Fox announcers, both of whom said something along the lines of "of course now, you have a lot more games in the postseason but back then it was just the World Series." But Turner has 26 RBIs through 27 postseason games, Snider got to 26 in 36 games...which were all in the World Series, yes. They're making it seem like Turner has played in more games to get to that number, though.
                                        Last edited by Incandenza; 25-10-2017, 13:21.

Comment

Vin, Fernando, and Yeager -- that was very very cool.

Comment

The Dodgers' baroque and decadent use of their pitching staff is magnificent. Fare thee well, Ross Stripling.

Comment

If the Astros fail to equalise, Tony Watson will become the first winning pitcher in World Series history to record only a single out.

Comment

Damn.

Comment

Doc seems to have gotten this game wrong. Too quick to pull pitchers, but then ask Kenley to get 6 outs. But the team utterly wasted that runner on 3rd in the 7th.

Comment

Well, Altuve HR in the 10th. Logging off.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X