X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No hard and fast plans yet

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      As a frequent visitor to Oakland, I wouldn't quite call Laney "downtown", but the site is certainly a heck of a lot closer and more urban than that of the Coliseum.

Here's a map (Howard Terminal and the current site were the other serious options)

That looks great. Is it on public transit?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        How reliable are these? Would there be much change between now and, say, May?
        They don't change at all except for rainouts and rain-outs in MLB aren't very common any more. The racket is to bring in fans, get their parking fee and sell them food and drink and then delay delay delay until often late at night. It takes a pretty epic storm to wipe out the game completely, and they're always made up.

Comment

For example the Giants-Dodgers game just a couple of days ago was still going well past midnight (It was in the sixth innings when I logged on for the scores at around 0830 here - California's eight/ nine hours behind the UK isn't it). I think the total delay was almost three and a half hours which is about as long as a complete game.

The attendance was quoted as just a smidge over 40000. How many of those would actually stay for the denouement though?

I suppose it's a bit like cricket except here they'll reach a calculated cut off point and call it a day

Comment

It happens more often at this point of the season because there aren't open days to reschedule the game.

Earlier in the season, it would have been called and rescheduled for the visiting team's trip.

I've been at some games with long rain delays where the "crowd" at the end numbered in the hundreds, not thousands,

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              That looks great. Is it on public transit?
              9 minute walk from the Lake Merritt BART stop, it is said.

Comment

The Giants-Dodgers game the other night was sort of a funny one. Since it restarted at almost 7am, I got to catch the entire game, and the President of the Giants was on radio talking about how the Dodgers basically didn't want to play a doubleheader (which was his suggestion) or waste an offday, so they had no choice but to play once the forecast came in saying there would be 12 hours of clear skies.

Comment

Laney College is probably the best site available for the A's. Howard Terminal was going to get held up by a ton of environmental stuff and Jack London Square is not particularly close to BART. Not horribly far, it's a little bit closer to BART than AT&T Park is to Montgomery Street BART, but Oakland wasn't going to build a light rail line to ferry fans to the park like San Francisco did.

No one was especially excited by the Coliseum site. The BART access can't be beat, but....AT&T kinda showed everyone in the Bay Area how great a ballpark can be, and building something in a parking lot with nothing really around it was going to feel second-rate.

Laney won't be a slam dunk, but they're paying for it themselves, the college seems to be OK with it (the site is where their admin building is, and the A's have promised to build them a new one), and the Oakland city government is desperate to keep one team with the Raiders and Warriors out the door. So they should get it done.

Comment

I caught the end of the Royals v Indians game, and even I, a long term Cleveland hater, am getting into it. That was wildly exciting, and Cleveland won in the tenth.

Comment

just curious, why a long-term Cleveland hater? nickname? anything to do w/ yankees?

Comment

Specifically a David Wells thing. Not the team, exactly, but definitely the fans.

Just a stupid chip on the shoulder amongst many I've collected on my travels.
                        Last edited by Gerontophile; 15-09-2017, 05:13. Reason: I edited this previously, and nothing showed up.

Comment

What specifically about David Wells?

Comment

(I am sure I have mentioned this before)

He was warming up in the bullpen in Cleveland, just after his mum died, and the Cleveland fans were giving him shit about it.

Comment

Flynnie's view on the A's ballpark is remarkably similar to that of my direhard Oakland booster nephew, with whom we dined last night.

I really do hope that they get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Flynnie's view on the A's ballpark is remarkably similar to that of my direhard Oakland booster nephew, with whom we dined last night.

I really do hope that they get it done.
                                Barring the Sawx's late bullpen getting exhausted as the Rays, they will seemingly push the lead back to 3.0 with 7 runs in the top of the 15th to make it 13-6 in the CrapDome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                  (I am sure I have mentioned this before)

He was warming up in the bullpen in Cleveland, just after his mum died, and the Cleveland fans were giving him shit about it.
                                  That's awful.

Comment

Yes. SO on the one hand, well done Cleveland for making 22, and it's always nice to see a wee streak, but on the other, fuck them.

Comment

Dodgers look like a different team since playing the Giants.

I missed this last night:

https://twitter.com/KirkNawrotzky/status/908840255133974528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F09%2Fjayson-werth-oops

Comment

Hahaha the look on his face!

Comment

Hahaha the look on his face!
                                          I was at a Spikes game a few weeks back that was temporarily delayed for a thick but short-lived fog that came in. But it wasn't delayed until after the Spikes got a run on a fly ball to center that the CF couldn't see.

About 6 minutes into this highlights package.
                                          http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1814521683

Comment

Apparently a new record for number of home runs in a season has been set.

Comment

This is true, though it is worth keeping in mind that there are now 30 teams.

Though that has been the case since 1998, which happens to be the season that featured the McGwire/Sosa home run chase (which McGwire won with 70).

Comment

Didn't someone top McGwire the next season with 71?

Comment

Didn't someone top McGwire the next season with 71?
                                                  Barry Bonds did, iirc but nobody really cared since the steroids thing.

Comment

Speak for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X