Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of particular interest to Antepli

But I am sure others will also find it interesting and somewhat troubling

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/why-a-german-born-soccer-star-of-muslim-descent-had-to-choose-between-his-faith-and-his-career/2017/02/08/3df7b586-ecaa-11e6-a100-fdaaf400369a_story.html?utm_term=.e03567edc25c&wpi src="nl_draw&wpmm=1"

Thanks for that ad hoc.

Comment

This is by far the best thing that I've seen on Ben-Hatira's situation. The bit about the sponsor intervening is new to me, and helps explain the club's weird behaviour. Darmstadt' main sponsor is a local business software company, and it isn't at all clear why they felt a need to get involved.

I really hope that he does well at Gaiziantepspor.

Comment

Between this and the Ukrainian who got hounded out of Rayo Vallecano for wearing a 'far right extremist logo' (which was actually the Ukrainian FA badge, or something), fake news is clearly having an effect even on football. And the fact that the German intelligence services partly drove this is really alarming.

For a seemingly very fair piece which is clearly sympathetic to Ben-Hatira, I'm also struck by the 'German-born' in the headline. Why not just 'German'?

Comment

Hmmm... while the treatment of Ben-Hatira is indeed shocking, Zozulya does seem well dodgy. Skip past the silly 'lookalike' stuff and check out the last couple of Twitter-posted snaps of him in this piece. (Just a shame about the source, though.)

Apologies for the diversion.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still not convinced to be honest. As you suggest, RT are a source with their own interest in making a Ukrainian army supporter look bad, and most reports I've read say the whole 'fascist' thing started with one journalist failing to recognise the national emblem of Ukraine (the trident) when he got off a plane at Seville airport. I'd want more than a picture or two (totally out of context) on Twitter before smearing him for the rest of his life, and the statement from the Rayo fan organisation stating as fact that he'd donated money to fascist groups and is considered himself a 'symbol' of the far right in Ukraine seems way off the mark. From the little I can find on Google, DNEPR White Boys, whose card he's holding in that final picture, appear to be a Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk hoolie gang, incidentally. Which makes him a dick, or someone who wasn't given much of a choice about having the photo taken (EDIT TO CLARIFY: I suspect it does in fact make him a dick, given his disciplinary record as well, but certainly football figures in these parts aren't always given much choice in dealing with the barra bravas, and I'd be surprised if the gangs in Ukraine are much nicer).

Of course it'd be a lot easier to get to the bottom of if I (we) read Ukrainian, and I'll grant you it doesn't seem as open-and-shut and easy to condemn as Ben-Hatira's case.

Comment

He scores the only goal in a relegation six pointer on his debut.

Comment

Working...
              X