Berlin, Berlin, wir fahren nach Berlin - midweek matchgoing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to Astoria Walldorf v. Arminia Bielefeld in the last 16 of the DFB-Pokal this evening.

This is the furthest Walldorf have ever made it in the competition and they have already claimed two notable scalps this season, dumping Bochum and Darmstadt out of the cup. Bielefeld are on a hiding to nothing - they'll be a laughing stock if they lose, but can they afford to take this seriously when many people would say that securing survival in the 2. Liga is more important?

It won't help Walldorf that this is their first competitive match in two months - the Regionalliga winter break isn't over for another week, so they're coming into this game without much match practice. But honestly, I have no idea how this one is going to go. Went to watch Walldorf regularly when we lived there and so have a bit of a soft spot for them and it would be a hell of an achievement if they were to make it to the q-f.

@imp: I assume they'll be issuing a programme for this match, will see if I can pick one up for you.

Worksop Town v Pickering Town in the NCEL Premier tomorrow night. Should be a good game - Worksop have won three on the spin, Pickering are second in the league and this is their game in hand on not-quite-running-away-with-it-just-yet leaders Cleethorpes Town. Watch it get postponed now I've said all that.

Comment

After reaching the semi finals of the Liverpool Senior Cup last week, Southport are looking to do the same in the Lancashire Senior Cup tomorrow night.Blackburn's reserves are the lucky visitors.

Comment

Walldorf gave Bielefeld a good run for their money but lost the penalty shootout 3-4, after holding the second division side to a 1-1 draw after extra time. Bielefeld had plenty of chances in the first half but Walldorf's keeper put on an excellent display to keep them at bay. After the break, Walldorf conceded direct from a free-kick but battled their way back into the match with an aggressive display that unnerved Bielefeld.
        They equalised with ten minutes to go, a looping header that gave the keeper no chance and kept up the tempo in extra time - this left them a bit open at the back but some last-ditch defending denied Bielefeld, and Walldorf were then unable to make the advantage count after the visitors had a player sent off towards the end of the second period. The Regionalliga players couldn't quite hold their nerve and Bielefeld were relieved and delighted at the end of a quality cup tie...

[IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/620/IMG_20170207_183631-min.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

I'm sure it was fun to be in the stadium, but it was bloody awful to watch on TV (though I missed a fair bit as the channel was switching to Hamburg-Köln). Endless fouls, mistakes, crappy pitch - well, that's the Regionalliga for you. And Bielefeld too. Will you still be around when they come to Sandhausen in April?

Comment

Southport's hopes of winning the Lancashire Senior Cup for the first time since 1905 are over after defeat on penalties to Blackburn Reserves. Southport took the lead but Blackburn equalised soon after. Both had chances to win but penalties seemed fairly inevitable from quite a while out. When it came the shoot out was one of two halves, with the first five penalties all scored and the second five all failures.

Comment

Worksop Town 2-3 Pickering Town

Seen some good games lately and this was another one, both sides played constructive football on a cold night and the game wouldn't have been out of place a level higher. Pickering led three times but Worksop had most of the play and merited a draw at least. Pickering just had that bit more nous at either end and scored the winner as Worksop's young team tired. The ref was overly lenient and let too much go, including two clear penalties for Worksop.

There was also some very unnecessary change kitting as Pickering decided their all blue clashed with Worksop's orange and black, so they ended up wearing an all green kit which took the hue of a boiled sweet of dubious origin.

Would like to have been able to post this report last night but the board is now completely unfuckinguseable on mobile.

Comment

imp wrote: Will you still be around when they come to Sandhausen in April?
                As things stand, we'll still be here. Just checked the Spielplan and that looks like a Friday night game, so there's a good chance of me being at the match...

Comment

Working...
                X