The Marco Silva Football Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone who really does just take a mere passing interest in my club these days (thanks to the owners), it was both intriguing and refreshing to hear Curtis Davies say in an interview yesterday that since taking the job, Marco Silva has only allowed the squad 2 days off from training/match preparation etc. The effects have clearly been quite dramatic, as a squad that looked a shoe-in for relegation now has genuine belief that they can stay up, the fans are actually talking about football again, and more importantly, we've managed to get under the skin of everyone's favourite Portuguese one trick pony.

I know there's a few avid European football watchers around these parts, was there any indication in his previous employment that Silva was a cut above? Very little was known about him prior to coming to this country.

The only worry is, because he's only on a 6 month contract, whether he keeps us up or fails heroically, there's every chance that we'll lose him. Pah.

fucking useless cunts needed two more goals to do it properly

Comment

Stev9e predicted that he'd be good, can't remember which thread it was on.

Comment

Err, blimey.

Comment

Yeah, he's won me a fair bit of money since his arrival. I've been betting on Hull to win and draw each game, I think he's lost one so far, maybe? Today I had a 50p accumulator on Hull beating Liverpool and a load of other results, I would've won £89 if it weren't for f*cking Rangers.

Erwin and I are more than familiar with his talent. I think this is my first mention of him, back in a Portuguese Liga preview I posted in 2012:

"My tip for surprise of the season will be Estoril, whose young 35 year old manager Marco Silva is certainly on to something. He took over the club last season when they were in 14th place in the second tier and within 7 games they were top of the table, winning the league at the end of the season. Many eyes will be on him to see how he does in the top flight."

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-football/701520-sizzling-pig-skin-it-s-the-liga-portuguesa-2012-3

He took Estoril into Europe that season, unheard of for Estoril. Porto and Benfica ripped that team apart the summer after, picking off all the best players, but Silva picked up a bunch of unheard of players and did the exact same thing again a season later. By 2014 I was saying this on here:

"By the way, Portugal definitely has a new Mourinho: Estoril manager Marco Silva masterminded the away win at Porto and has genuinely achieved the impossible two seasons in a row now, he's even been able to make Javier Balboa look like a half decent player. He's odds on favourite to take over the Porto job the second Paulo Fonseca gets the boot, which will probably be on Friday, after Porto are knocked out of the Europa League."

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-football/885761-today-s?limit=20&start=40

Between that post and now he got unlucky with the Sporting job, doing well in an impossible situation. The Olympiacos job after just wasn't a challenge for him. This Hull job suits him, he thrives on getting the best out of a small group of players. He's also done well to get Evandro on loan from Porto. Evandro was very much the star player of the Estoril team Silva managed in his first Portuguese Liga season. He had shades of Deco about him and Porto came calling, but he's just rotted away in their reserves ever since, sadly. One thing about Evandro, he's an absolute nutter, so I might start betting on him to get a red now that Marco Silva's talent is now well and truly exposed.

He'll keep Hull up, I've no doubt about that. He also proved at Estoril that he's quite loyal, so Hull might get him for another season if they treat him right. One things for sure, he'd produce a far better team at Liverpool than Klopp can, and he would never make comedy videos at crown green bowling clubs.

Comment

Brilliant record Steve9e it's a great story and I hope he continues to ruffle feathers.

But let's not forget, he's a foreign manager, who knows nothing about the Premier League and may not be able to Dig In.

Comment

Heh, yeah, not that it needed doing, but he's made Merson and Thompson look like a prize pair of know nowt twats.

Comment

I've seen Hull a couple of times lately, and they look like a properly drilled, well organized side. And given that the club is basically on fire, and that marco silva was only appointed a wet week ago, that is extraordinary. He seems to be a proper manager, and to be honest, I'm not sure that I've seen too many English managers that have been able to do so much in such a short space of time. Hull aren't doing well because the manager has put his arm around them. They're doing well because they stand in the right place in relation to each other, and are in a position to help each other out.

Comment

Pleasingly, Ian Cathro's modernist approach seems to be working at Hearts also. This has left "Merse" and "Thommo"'s Scottish soulmate Kris Boyd looking like even more of a fud than he already did.

Comment

Where do we think Silva will be managing this time net year? Arsenal? Liverpool?

Comment

Mumpo wrote: Where do we think Silva will be managing this time net year? Arsenal? Liverpool?
                      It wouldn't surprise me if he stayed at Hull for another season. He was courted by a lot of clubs after his first season in the top flight at Estoril and I think he made the right choice, because his second season was more successful than the first, with a completely rebuilt squad. When he took the Sporting job, the President soon started playing games trying to undermine him, but Silva had proven everything he needed to prove and refused to be bullied because everyone in Portugal knew his ability. I reckon if stays at Hull for one more season, perhaps getting them in the top half of the league, he'll have made the same statement he made with Estoril.

Comment

Working...
                      X