Darwenian Animosity - weekend matchgoing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My original plan had been going up to Barrow to watch Barrow Celtic. However with it being wet overnight I decided not to risk it and headed to Manchester instead (as it turned out Barrow Celtic's match was off although there were some other games on around there).

I eventually settled on Chadderton Park v Tintwistle Athletic in the Rhodes Cup, which is the league cup for the Lancashire & Cheshire League. On paper this should have been an easy win for the visitors (who are not from either Lancashire or Cheshire but instead come from Derbyshire), lying mid table in the Premier Division whilst the hosts are down towards the bottom of Division Three. However Tintwistle had a real off day and struggled to link up their midfield and forwards. Eventually they got what turned out to be the only goal on the hour, but only a goal line clearance prevented the hosts equalising in stoppage time.

Comment

Bootle 9 (nine) AFC Darwen 0

Top of the league Bootle recorded their biggest win of the season against a demoralised Darwen side, two first half penalties setting the scene for a complete demolition job in the second. Despite the terrific display of attacking football I think the highlight of the day was when one of the home team was being serenaded with chants of "He shagged a ladyboy!", and he turned to appeal to the choir with a plaintive cry of "Me Ma's over there!!".

Comment

Sunday - Wimbledon Stadium for the banger racing

I paid what will be my last ever visit to Wimbledon Stadium to watch the banger racing there. Barring a last minute decision to list the stadium (unlikely) the stadium will close at the end of March to be demolished and turned into flats and a bland 10,00 all-seater football stadium (because we don't have enough football stadiums in London at the moment).

The racing wasn't that good to be honest, with not to many crashes and quite a few interruptions. But there was still a buzz about the place even if the old girl is decrepit and falling to bits. Drivers love Wimbo because when they enter they feel like they're racing at Wembley. It's their dream and their chance to be a racing driver.

I left after the last race, sad and rather depressed. I won' be back to tick off the football ground.

Comment

Santutxu 1-1 Paisaia

Santutxu continue to undo their good work early on in games by conceding late goals. Another goal ruled out for offside when the score was 1-0 seemed like a harsh decision. The magical fourteenth spot is slipping further and further away though.

Barakaldo 1-1 Albacete

Barakaldo put in arguably their best performance of the season to date dominating table-topping Albacete. Baraka hit the bar, post and had one cleared off the line after Albacete equalised almost immediately after going behind.

Comment

Dandy Town Hornets 3-0 Somerset Trojans

Hornets move out of the relegation zone with another good win under their new management team. Previous fears of some 'tension' between a section of the home fans and the away team keeper were quickly soothed by the prevailing sweet smell of illegal substances being ingested behind one of the goals, no doubt calming the behavior of some of the crowd. This is a common smell/sight at several local grounds, including when matches are held at Police Field, home pitch of 2 Premier League sides, which, as the name suggests, belongs to the Bermuda Police Service and is situated right in front of Police Headquarters.

Comment

An evening game in Jesenik. Or at least there will be if I can find a way over the river that seperate me from the ground.

Comment

A morning game at Osoblaha Bruntál in the Czech armed forces league required an 0350 start on the last state railway run narrow gauge line.

However, for some reason the game was cancelled as the ref decided the pitch was too frozen.

They'd have played it in the Scottish juniors.

Comment

If anyone has a few days to spare, then this is an extremely long and tedious report from the first week of the recent euro jaunt.

It is a lot of trains, with a bit of football in it. To be honest, it bored me senseless posting it, god alone knows what it would do to anyone who actually reads it.

Hopefully I'll get the first of last weekends match reports up later this evening, which should be more interesting reading.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: If anyone has a few days to spare, then this is an extremely long and tedious report from the first week of the recent euro jaunt.

It is a lot of trains, with a bit of football in it. To be honest, it bored me senseless posting it, god alone knows what it would do to anyone who actually reads it.

Hopefully I'll get the first of last weekends match reports up later this evening, which should be more interesting reading.
                    I had to look up what a "rail bike" was, but it looks tremendous. Where's the closest one to Cardiff?

Comment

It's not something that has caught on in the UK, so I'm not sure if there is anywhere here that does it.

I did mine to get to FC Kranenburg on the Kleve - Kijmegen line, which used to host the international trains between Amsterdam and Germany until the 1990s, and is now closed but the track is all intact.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: If anyone has a few days to spare, then this is an extremely long and tedious report from the first week of the recent euro jaunt.

Anything but dull, that - some very evocative photos and even if trains aren't your thing it's worth it for the salami logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                          Bootle 9 (nine) AFC Darwen 0
                          Not that I was in attendance, but just a quick thread resurrection to say that this season's renewal of Bootle v AFC Darwen finished 10 - 0.

Sadly, though perhaps unsurprisingly it looks like they'll be relegated this season, so I wont get chance to see if the sequence continued in 2018-19.

Comment

Working...
                          X