No announcement yet.

Racism in English football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be very difficult to prove that Pep would using "normal" in the way that racists consciously use it, given Pep's not having English has his first language.

Comment

It's worth remembering that he finishes that sentence is "From everywhere" which changes it somewhat, and he's not directly contrasting indian people and black people with "normal people" and either he's chosen a really odd time to say something mindbendingly racist, or he's trying to talk about a complicated abstract topic in his fourth language and saying that people from everywhere are normal. He is after all not "Normal" in the other sense in manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

You see I don't know about this. This has effectively reached the point where if someone writes another one of those shitty stories about Raheem sterling, the social media storm is going to be about them, not raheem sterling. The Next person to write a shitty article about Raheem Sterling's exceedingly dull personal life is going to have to leave twitter.
        Bah, they are on the defensive and they are duty bound to respond, they will need to justify all those previous articles and prove Raheem is the little shit they have been trying to tell us he is. give it time.

Shitting on sterling used to be a costless pastime. I don't think that is necessarily true any more.
        There are quite a few articles in the same newspapers that have printed negative articles about Sterling lambasting the Chelsea supporters abusing him on Saturday.

It was primarily us for centuries, but we're white, and that means that after a generation or two you can't tell any more, and once the ceasefire started and Ireland started to become richer than the UK, then it kind of just stopped. It will be back though, especially when everyone realizes that we've ruined brexit.
        Please don't get it twisted mate, The English still hate you. They just have bigger fish to fry now that the blacks, Eastern Europeans and of course the Muslims have provided easier targets.

This is all going to get a lot worse before it gets any better, but If people are prepared to be as direct and aggressive in their response as raheem sterling was, then there is some hope.

Comment

It's worth remembering that he finishes that sentence is "From everywhere" which changes it somewhat, and he's not directly contrasting indian people and black people with "normal people" and either he's chosen a really odd time to say something mindbendingly racist, or he's trying to talk about a complicated abstract topic in his fourth language and saying that people from everywhere are normal. He is after all not "Normal" in the other sense in manchester.
          4th Language, that's some serious contortions there Berbaslug?

Maybe it is a language thing, but he has been in the UK two years and before that in the US for a year. That's three years in an English speaking country.......
          It would be interesting to get Yaya Toure and Samuel Et'oo thoughts on this.

Comment

Normal in English = normal en catala...

Comment

Bah, they are on the defensive and they are duty bound to respond, they will need to justify all those previous articles and prove Raheem is the little shit they have been trying to tell us he is. give it time.

Maybe, but he's super dull, and he's part of a monastic cult. that's why so many of those stories are so absurdly weak. It's probably best for them to move on and carry on with the long term project of relatively low level continuous demonization of minority groups in general.

Please don't get it twisted mate, The English still hate you. They just have bigger fish to fry now that the blacks, Eastern Europeans and of course the Muslims have provided easier targets.

Nah, it's different the last 20 years. If the brexit fiasco has taught us anything, it's that most people don't even know that Ireland is there. Even the bit of it that is part of the UK. People who used to care about that sort of thing until recently had basically just forgotten about us. and have taken us for granted. Here's a question, what do Piers morgan and Tommy Robinson have in common?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                4th Language, that's some serious contortions there Berbaslug?

Maybe it is a language thing, but he has been in the UK two years and before that in the US for a year. That's three years in an English speaking country.......
                It would be interesting to get Yaya Toure and Samuel Et'oo thoughts on this.
                They just had an interview on with him on BT sport, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. His english really isn't quite up to this level of topic just yet. His points were it's a mistake to think that the problem is racism in football, there is racism everywhere and we must "fight it every day to create a better society for ourselves and for our children." He Can't understand how in 21st century the colour of your skin, or the country of your birth should really matter as both are essentially random details and out of your control.

The thing is I believe him when he says that. He thinks it's stupid and pointless. That's the way that he seems to think about things in general.

Guardiola picked Yaya Toure a lot when he was at barcelona. Toure started 37 times in 2008-9 and came on 3 times. and started him 33 times in his second season. That was 10 years ago though. Yaya toure didn't get any younger in the intervening period. The thing that seems constant about guardiola is that he can't handle confrontation at all and essentially ignores the player. This is as true of Zlatan as it is of toure. It's important to remember that he's rather weird.

Comment

I don't think Guardiola is racist or discriminatory. But I think it's an interesting example of how a lot of, if not most, white people think.

Comment

A black female colleague of mine came across a group of about 15 Man Utd fans yesterday in the centre of Valencia. They were chanting "I'd rather be a Paki than a scouse". She challenged them as to why they were singing this. Drunkenly albeit sheepishly one of them managed to reply that would she have a problem if they had been singing "I'd rather be a Scot than a Scouse", as both Pakistan and Scotland are nations and in any case it's a compliment to the Pakistanis that they are being viewed more favourably than people than Liverpool.

Comment

Brexit-Trump morons. I blame David Cameron and Jose mourinho in equal amounts for that. They've made Britain and the football world a safe space for modern racist idiocy.
                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-12-2018, 15:04.

Comment

The thing that seems constant about guardiola is that he can't handle confrontation at all and essentially ignores the player.
                        Do you think so? It also depends on the cliques within the team and who has the power. I get the feeling that on more than one occasion Messi told Pep what to do and Pep responded with, "si, jefe"

Comment

well it's really difficult to know about messi because he never says anything to the outside world. But I think everything is different if you're by far the greatest footballer that anyone has ever seen, and if you look at football the way Guardiola does, it's clear to you that he's even better than most people realize.

I'd love to know what happened between Pep and Franck Ribery. Ribery is basically the French Carlos Tevez, and seemed to take any tactical instruction as an insult to his balls. Pep is all about the tactical instructions.

Comment

I'd love to know what happened between Pep and Franck Ribery. Ribery is basically the French Carlos Tevez, and seemed to take any tactical instruction as an insult to his balls. Pep is all about the tactical instructions.
                            I wonder how much time Ribéry has left at Bayern? Alphonso Davies is practicing with first team and will likely get some game time after January. Robben's leaving at the end of the season so he may be used there, but Fonzie normally plays off the left.

Comment

he's 35 years old. It seems that he managed to maintain his relationship with guardiola by being injured for a lot of the time. I get the feeling that his age is less relevant than his two goals and no assists in 20 games this season. Clubs are more likely to give a young player a chance if the player he's supposed to be replacing is worse than useless.

Comment

Chelsea fans again: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46561167

Comment

In a nutshell.

Ribéry (you're right, a Tevez-type hot-headed nutter but far more of a dressing-room joker than El Apache) and Pep didn’t see eye to eye from the start, they never understood each other, both on a personal level and tactically (when Pep arrived, he wanted to play Ribéry as a 10, Ribéry: Pep fragte, ob ich auf der '10' spielen kann“. Der neue Trainer suchte Kontakt zu seinen Spielern und führte viele Einzelgespräche) but the Frenchman stuck to his guns and kicked up a fuss to stay on his beloved left wing. I think he reluctantly accepted for a few games but kept drifting back to his wing or something like and that didn’t go down well with Pep.

Pep never really rated Ribéry and the latter resented that especially after his superb 2012-2013 season (3rd in the Ballon D’or, he was extremely disappointed with that and saw it as an injustice). 2013-14, Pep’s first season at Bayern, was good for Ribéry but the following one wasn’t by his standards, injuries too (he hardly played at all in 2015).

As you’ve surmised, Pep likes a good talk and is hot on tactics. Ribéry isn’t, he wants as few instructions as poss and likes quick, direct football which I’m not sure is the style Pep favoured at Bayern. “He talks too much” Ribéry said just after Pep left while praising the new gaffer, C. Ancelotti (summer 2016. But at 33 and past his prime, Ribéry wouldn’t necessarily have featured in Ancelotti’s plans so it made sense to curry favours by buttering up the new gaffer. I think he also preferred Ancelotti as the Italian speaks French, he managed PSG for 2 yrs). I think Ribéry found it difficult to actually communicate with Pep, not the only one mind as you know but this must be mitigated by the fact that in Pep’s list of detractors are people like Ibra, Eto’o, Yaya Touré, people with an ego the size of Russia; I think Thomas Müller had problems wth Guardiola too but not knowing much about Müller I can't comment.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/Eng...ism-20160728-2

Bayern's Ribery expands on Guardiola criticism

French winger Franck Ribery has again criticised his ex-Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola during the club's tour of the United States, claiming the Spaniard talks too much and lacks experience.

Guardiola is now head coach of Manchester City after three seasons with Bayern and Ribery has wasted no time in criticising his former boss.
                                  According to Ribery, 33, Ancelotti is an experienced coach, "totally different" from Guardiola, who "has not had a long career as a coach" and the player says he feels "motivated and liberated" again on the pitch.

"I don't need a coach to tell me what I have to do right on the pitch when I have the ball," added Ribery.

"He is still a young coach. He lacks experience. Sometimes he (Guardiola) talks too much, football is very simple," added the Frenchman.

Ribery also criticised Guardiola for not starting key forward Thomas Mueller for Bayern's 1-0 defeat at Atletico Madrid in the first-leg of the Champions League's semi-final last season as Munich eventually bowed out in the last four for the third season running.

"You can't make a mistake in the semi-finals of the Champions League, you have to have the big names, your best players, on the field," added Ribery.
                                  Ribéry was also very critical of Van Gaal too (but then again, he wasn’t the only one): https://www.goal.com/fr/news/71/alle...un-mauvais-mec

Ribéry is a bit unhinged. One of his most memorable off-pitch moments was during that disastrous (for France) WC 2010, with that extraordinary crisis. A quick reminder: moronic Anelka insulted the equally obnoxious national manager Raymond Domenech at half-time vs Mexico and was duly sent home; the morning after, the French team went into meltdown, 2 officials walked out, Patrice “Che Guevara” Évra led a players’ rebellion, the players refused to get off the bus on their way to training and while inside the coach wrote a letter – probably dictated by phone by Ribéry’s disgraced agent and French football pariah Jean-Pierre Bernès (disgraced from the Valenciennes-Marseille bribery scandal, Bernès, then the OM general manager, took the flak for Tapie and went to prison) to announce that they were going on strike, letter was read live on TV by the manager etc.)

Anyway, one Sunday morning Ribéry walked on the TV studio of Téléfoot (the French MOTD) in shorts, flip-flops and white socks, interrupted the programme (YT below) and, close to tears, gave his version, apologised and confirmed live that yes indeed, Patrice Evra was right, there is a “mole” in the dressing-room etc. It was TV gold live on telly, fantastic moment.

Comment

He's from Boulogne-sur-Mer

That's all we need to know

Comment

And let's not forget Ribéry's enthusiasm for underage prostitutes.

That distasteful story revealed a quirk of French law - you can have sex with a young woman from the age of 15, but you can't pay them for it until they're 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        They know that not all Siberian oil barons are Russian Orthodox, right?

Comment

This is good from Liew. He touches on the Guardiola thing too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...mpression=true

Comment

Very good even by his high standards.

Comment

I wonder if in future he'll call out managers and players on their racism. I doubt it.

Comment

Unlikely for the reasons he mentions.

Comment

And of course, nobody did. Which is also why you didn’t hear about the manager who, when confronted by a group of foreign journalists seeking the latest on the club’s new Japanese signing, spread his arms wide, narrowed his eyes, and in his best cod-Asian accent screeched: “SO WHA’ YA WANNA KNOW?”

hmm. That's not a long list of players.

Comment

Especially when one recalls that Liew was still in university in 2007

Comment

Working...
                                                    X