No announcement yet.

Premier Class - GAA 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly, they fall short at the finish, due to exhaustion, mostly. Galway giving Donegal an absolute annihilation, 3-12 to 0-8, so first two quarter-finals will be:

Roscommon v Mayo
    Kerry v Galway

Comment

Mayo will be happy with that draw, it's hard to know what to make of them, they haven't been impressive in any game I've seen them in this season yet somehow they're in the quarter finals with a very winnable game in front of them,the Galway full back line will have to improve a lot to keep the Kingdom's full forward line at bay

Comment

All-Ireland Qualifiers Round 4B:

Kildare v Armagh:

Yes, it's the Return of the Mack as Kieran McGeeney clashes with his former charges. The Orchard County have struggled to impress, though the Tipp scalp was notable, and Kildare's combative display against Dublin suggests they should break the Leinster runner-up hoodoo at this stage.

Monaghan v Down:

The Mournemen have been the revelation of the summer, surprising their weekend opponents en route, though showed stage fright in the Ulster final. Monaghan have only faced Division Four opponents since their provincial elimination, though as a general rule, teams are rarely beaten twice by the same opponents in qualifiers.

All-Ireland Quarter-Finals

Kerry v Galway:

Next year, the Super 8s might as well resound to the Champions League chords, but for now, the millennial format remains. Amazingly, Galway haven't beaten Kerry since 1965, but with players like Heaney and Comey, Fitzmaurice will be on high alert. Still, O'Donoghue and Geaney have established a metronomic rapport, and the Kingdom have ample Croke Park experience to progress here.

Mayo v Roscommon:

Since 2000, Roscommon have won two previous Connacht titles, but fell at this hurdle on both occasions. Under McStay's guidance, they will be confident, but do they have the nous or experience to edge out their Western neighbours? It seems unlikely.

Comment

As my father in law would say. Up Tyrone. Hopefully all the way to the final. Again!

Comment

For any Charlton or Newport fans out there, your ex player Kevin Feely is currently playing for Kildare against Armagh live on sky

Comment

Yet again, the Leinster runner-up fails miserably to reach the last eight, so Dublin will be first tested by the expected Tyrone tussle in the semis. The "right" to face the Metropolitans next will be decided by tomorrow's QF draw, following the 4 p.m. all-Connacht affair's conclusion.

Comment

Galway hurlers become the first senior team to qualify for the all Ireland final after beating tipperary by a point in a cracker, Joe Canning landing a terrific winner in the last minute of injury time, sorry berbaslug but being a tipperary man in Galway won't be easy for the next month

Comment

Up Galway

Waterford a dirty team with a bouncer for a manager.

Comment

They can score plenty on their day though as they proved today, I'm sure there'll be appeals and "he's not that type of player " over Gleeson's red card but when you're three minutes away from an all Ireland final and you petulantly crack someone across the knees with your hurl then you deserve a suspension for being a gobshite

Comment

Terrific game today in the football semi final, both Kerry and Mayo had chances to win it but a draw was probably the fairest result, back again next Saturday

Comment

I seem to be the last man standing on this thread so for anyone who cares here's my tuppence worth on this weekend's semi finals
                        MAYO v KERRY : last week's draw was dominated by Mayos decision to play Aidan O' Shea as a full back man marker on Ciaran Donaghy, for the uninitiated it's like using Paul Pogba to mark Andy Carroll because he's tall and it was nearly a fatal mistake. That being said they got a draw and I can imagine they'll move him into a more attacking role today. My own feeling is that Mayo played as well as they can and Kerry have an extra gear they can go up, Kerry by a couple of points in a close one for me
                        DUBLIN V TYRONE : everyone is expecting Dublin to win this one comfortably, particularly with the Dubs having Dermot Connolly back from suspension but I've a feeling it'll be closer than the pundits think, Mickey Harte will have Tyrone well fired up for this one and with Sean Kavanagh having a great farewell season they could cut through Dublins misfiring midfield, that being said it's hard to argue too hard against the champions, Dublin to win, maybe after a replay

Comment

Shows what I know anyway, on Saturday Mayo bulldozered their way past an awful Kerry and today Dublin used the semi final of an all Ireland final as a glorified training session as they easily beat Tyrone, the two best sides will meet on the third sunday of September, hopefully it's a good one

Comment

That first goal that completely killed the game after about five minutes was fucking amazing. It was like a professional athlete executing the goal Mulligan scored for tyrone against Dublin all those years ago.

Comment

So tomorrow is all Ireland hurling final day, this year is probably the most eagerly awaited final in years between two counties who are desperate to lift the Liam Mc Carthy cup, Galway haven't won it since 1988 but they're prolific compared to opponents Waterford, who last were champions in 1959. This year is the first time they've met in the final so tickets are like gold dust. I expect Galway to have too much for Waterford but looking forward to a good game without bloody Cork, Tipperary or Kilkenny in it for once

Comment

Tight game throughout, they were level seven times before Galway pulled away late on, they've finally scratched that 29 year itch but for Waterford it's 59 years at least since a win now

Comment

I've never watched too much Hurling but saw most of that match on Sky with the boy as there was little else on. It was enthralling stuff, we both really enjoyed it and will look out for it again.

Comment

That's it for this season unfortunately, the championship starts again next May, the league, which is the lesser competition starts in February but sky don't cover that

Comment

So tomorrow is the big one, Dublin v Mayo in the senior all Ireland final, Dublin are massive favourites as they have demolished everyone along the way, they also have the ability to bring 5 or 6 previous all Ireland winners off the bench if need be. Mayo are not to be underestimated however, they have been the most grimly determined side I've seen in years, coming through two replays and two periods of extra time to get this far, while their bench is nowhere near as strong as Dublin's they have match winners all over the pitch. So who will win? Both personally and analytically it's got to be Dublin for me, either way ladies and gentlemen, aren't you getting fed up with looking at Mourinho and Rooney 's ugly mugs already? If so then give yourself self a treat and turn over at 3.30 tomorrow or better still, find a decent Irish bar and enjoy it with the experts, thank you

Comment

What Mayoesque way will they contrive to blow their HT position - only a point ahead, but well on top in terms of general play, and the Dubs have benefitted from some dodgy frees. In the minor, Kerry won by 25 points, with wünderkind David Clifford scoring 4-4!

Comment

Mayo two up after 62 minutes - is the famine nearly over?

Comment

Ah, nuts!

Comment

Turned over for injury time after the rugby finished and, even with my limited knowledge of the game in general and The Curse of Mayo in particular, that was painful enough.

Comment

Just recovered from at least two heart attacks, that was the hardest and I'll admit most undeserved win of the four wins since 2011. As diable said Mayo bossed us in the first half and we were lucky to be in it, let alone only a point behind. I thought Gavin got his selection wrong at the start, putting O'Gara up top didn't work, even in the second half when Mc menamin and Connolly came on Mayo were the better side but somehow we managed to get over the line, Mayo will probably get revenge in the ladies final next week but otherwise that's it for another year, see you all again in January

Comment

and to think the football people accuse hurling of being a boring and predictable procession of the same old teams

Comment

I watched most of the game and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Cruel for Mayo.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X