Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we have a title but not much else. That gets us started, I guess.

So you added the "spoilers" just for clickbait then?

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: So you added the "spoilers" just for clickbait then?
      You Won't Believe The 9 Reasons People Clicked This Thread Title!

Comment

Added the spoilers in anticipation of trailers, conversation, and viewing down the road. Since I have no clue if changing a thread title will work in the future, I went with the safe route. But if spoilers drew people then I'll make sure to add to all future posts.

Comment

Why is the text red instead of yellow? Inquiring minds must know.

Comment

http://www.royalmail.com/starwars?ci...83370-63978391

The stamps accompanying the film reveal a new set of creatures (top right in link). They look too cute to be baddies. It's going to be Ewoks mk 2 isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
              Why is the text red instead of yellow? Inquiring minds must know.
              I think all three of the new films have red text for the titles

Comment

There is a bird called Ojo or something. The Chewbacca pop vinyl figure is holding it. The bird thing is also available as a plush toy.

The Lego sets are out. Kylo Ren has a TIE Fighter. There's a 'heavy armoured' scout walker, which is stupidly self contradictory and looks shit.

I'm beginning to have a very bad feeling about all this...!
                Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 11-09-2017, 14:16.

Comment

The flightless bird is called Porg. Apparently there are flocks of them on the island where Luke trains Rey. Toys R Us is full of them. This is Jar Jar levels of bad.

Comment

There's also a First Order rolly ball droid called BB-9E. It's black.

Comment

The Resistance Bomber looks good though

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

FUCK THAT SHIT
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-09-2017, 19:43.

Comment

The flightless bird is called Porg. Apparently there are flocks of them on the island where Luke trains Rey. Toys R Us is full of them. This is Jar Jar levels of bad.
                          If Porg doesn't talk in English and just makes noises that the other characters can somehow interpret, that will be fine.

Comment

That's consistent, though. No droid is unique.

Comment

The flightless bird is called Porg. Apparently there are flocks of them on the island where Luke trains Rey.
                              If it's flightless, aren't they more herds than flocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                If it's flightless, aren't they more herds than flocks?
                                Dunno. Is it a herd of penguins? I'd probably go with flock.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  If Porg doesn't talk in English and just makes noises that the other characters can somehow interpret, that will be fine.
                                  Like the Ewoks then

Comment

Like the Ewoks then
                                    The Ewoks were fine until we were asked to believe they could take out a whole legion of stormtroopers.

I was thinking more like Lando's co-pilot in Return of the Jedi. I don't remember his name.

Comment

Nien Nunb

Comment

Spoiler-filled discussion.

So, is the Force being democratized? Rey's parents, if what Kylo Ren says is accurate, were simple people, and we hear Luke say that he never saw as much potential power in someone except with Kylo. Then at the end, the boy in the stalls at Canto Bight picks up the broom with the Force. Are the movies setting it up that the Force can be within anyone, or are we going back to the midichlorian nonsense?

Oh, and Snoke gets the best death (and also the most gruesome) in any of the movies.
                                        Last edited by Incandenza; 18-12-2017, 19:23.

Comment

I thought the revelation about Rey’s parents might have been deliberate misdirection both from Kylo to her and from the makers to the audience, it seemed to be tossed off a little matter-of-factly.

I will admit there were times during the film where I wasn't sure it was working and it seemed too much like a series of plot diversions and set pieces (all Star Wars movies, especially since the relaunch, have a bit of that obviously) but by the final reel I was completely pulled in and loved it. Probably not as much as The Force Awakens and Rogue One though.

It's a very "middle of a trilogy" movie, designed to get you from the set up of the first to the (presumable) denouement of the next one but very enjoyably so. This is a bit of a surprise given that Abrams handed over this episode to Rian Johnson to do (allegedly with no red-lines on character and plot) before taking back control for the climax of these stories in the next film.

I want to go back to see it again soon, there is an awful lot going on.

Comment

Oh, I should say it is really properly funny too. The most comedic of any Star Wars film I can think of. Which is a peculiar coincidence with it coming out so soon after Thor : Ragnarok.

Comment

Dunno. Is it a herd of penguins? I'd probably go with flock.
                                              The director has said they're based on puffins, having been surrounded by them while filming on the Skelligs.

Comment

I was a bit disappointed that Chewie didn't really have any role in this movie. Though him and the roasted porg was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                                  Spoiler-filled discussion.

So, is the Force being democratized? Rey's parents, if what Kylo Ren says is accurate, were simple people, and we hear Luke say that he never saw as much potential power in someone except with Kylo. Then at the end, the boy in the stalls at Canto Bight picks up the broom with the Force. Are the movies setting it up that the Force can be within anyone, or are we going back to the midichlorian nonsense?

Oh, and Snoke gets the best death (and also the most gruesome) in any of the movies.
                                                  I hope that's the case. That would be more interesting than to find out that she's Luke's daughter or some other typical fantasy trope. Luke says that the Jedi were wrong to think they deserved special access to the Force and Yoda points out that their sacred texts don't offer any wisdom that Rey doesn't already know. So I hope they're going in that direction - "a priesthood of all believers" as Protestants say. Besides, as Luke points out, the Jedi were a massive failure in the end, and did as much to train Sith - Vader and Ren, especially - as good Jedi. Too much power entrusted to too few people.

I think they need to explain who Snoke was/is. Maybe it doesn't really matter - he was just a powerful Sith who took power after Darth Sidious and Darth Vader die - but more background on him and how the First Order emerged post-ROTJ would be good. Maybe that will be in the video games or somewhere else.

As with the possibility that Rey is good with the Force just because of her basic mental strength, not because of her DNA, I hope that Snoke's unceremonious death is another case where they're trying to break out of the pattern of the original trilogy. In the original one, Darth Vader really struggled to overcome his loyalty to the Emperor and save Luke. He only killed the Emperor/Sidious once he decided to "be good."

But Kylo Ren really isn't all that conflicted about Snoke. He sees his chance and kills him, in order to take over as supreme leader. He invites Rey to help him rule the galaxy, but doesn't get her to sign-up before he off's Snoke. It suspect regicide is very common among the Sith.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X