Clear All

Ireland's global positioning

A rather interesting poll conducted by Amárach Research for RTE:

Ireland's closest international relationship should be with:

The US 5%
    The EU 52%
    The UK 30%
    Unsure 13%

Historically, we've tended towards internationalism, conducting extensive trade with France and Spain, religiously oriented towards Italy, and indeed migrating even further, with a Peter O'Leary commanding Catherine the Great's Imperial Army. Returning to the present, the poll effectively endorses the Government's current strategy of prioritising relations with Brussels, while simultaneoysly maintaining the existing bilateral arrangements with London. Perhaps the low American score reflects our Democrat leanings - certainly that figure would have been in double digits if conducted during the Obama presidency.

You'd have got similar scores for the US before Donald Trump. I think it's more of a reflection that the USA is 3000 fucking miles away.

The 30% with the UK is interesting. The local shopkeeper in Carna was saying to my mam that maybe we should leave with britain, then again the first thing my mam thought of was that her husband had a pension from england, and that had just collapsed in value. there's a lot of our economy in sheer numbers tied up with exporting to the UK. I'm afraid that the collapse in sterling means that those people are going to have to change their worldview pretty damn fucking quickly.

I see that Enda has taken to openly touting for UK based companies to move to Ireland.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: You'd have got similar scores for the US before Donald Trump. I think it's more of a reflection that the USA is 3000 fucking miles away.

The 30% with the UK is interesting. The local shopkeeper in Carna was saying to my mam that maybe we should leave with britain, then again the first thing my mam thought of was that her husband had a pension from england, and that had just collapsed in value. there's a lot of our economy in sheer numbers tied up with exporting to the UK. I'm afraid that the collapse in sterling means that those people are going to have to change their worldview pretty damn fucking quickly.

I see that Enda has taken to openly touting for UK based companies to move to Ireland.
      Suspect the 30% has a lot to do with the concerns over the CTA, Border and residency considerations - assuming that some under-the-counter bilateral is eventually agreed, the concerns will ease.

Comment

Brexit is obviously going to be traumatic for Ireland, particularly in terms of exporters to UK. Maintaining a good relationship with the only foreign market we can drive to is clearly essential.

But we really should be seeing Brexit as an incredible opportunity to get a massive amount of investment, jobs and tax take from UK based companies wanting to be based in the EU. It would be negligent if the IDA etc weren't working their balls off behind the scenes.

Comment

Working...
        X