Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women's Marches -

Etienne wrote: From a friend's husband on FB

I've struggled with mental illness for many years, and this past year has been a tough one. The day before yesterday was an especially difficult day. However seeing millions of people on the Women's Marches the following day rise up and be counted - the creativity, the power, the solidarity was a beautiful, hopeful, inspiring sight.

While there is much work to do, do not dismiss the importance of such events - not only for the sheer magnificence of this public display of resistance - but for those of us weighed down by the daily grim tidings that can sometimes overwhelm us into despair. Thank you to all the re-sisters for stepping up!

"Joy doesn't betray but sustains activism. And when you face a politics that aspires to make you fearful, alienated and isolated, joy is a fine act of insurrection." - Rebecca Solnit, Hope in the Dark
    Word.

I'm not one to usually participate in such things. Crowds freak me out and I find most of the "shut down the streets" things to be counterproductive and self-righteous to the point of delusion - they seem to think that fighting the cops and busting shit up are the point, rather than byproducts of one small aspect of a much larger struggle.

But this event was so beautiful and inclusive with a focus on building unity and encouragement for the long haul. And, as has been alluded to, the sheer size of it was probably its most important feature, followed by the diversity, and its lack of violence or any meanspiritedness. Yeah, a lot of signs ripping Trump, but I didn't see any smug condescension toward the people who voted for him.*

I saw so many great signs, I need to come up with one for the next time this happens and I'm available to participate. Here are my possible ideas:

[ul]
    [li]Down With This Sort Of Thing - Classic. Understated. Semi-obscure (by US standards) TV reference. I have the T-Shirt already[/li]

[li]Romani Ite Domum - Same idea. Perhaps with a cartoon of Trump as a Roman.[/li]

[li]Nazi Punks Fuck-Off - Some parents with small kids might complain and Nazi punks per se aren't really an issue any more, but an allusion to 80s punk seems apropos. [/li]

[li]Be Excellent To Each Other - My favorite motto. Some people have already used this for a sign though.[/li]

[li]Guns Are For Assholes - self-explanatory. Not very clever. Just something I believe.[/li]

[li]Don't Believe Everything You Think - An excellent summary of my pragmatist philosophy and disdain for so-called "common sense." I have it on a bumper sticker.[/li]

[li]something to stand up for the animals - Don't have anything clever yet[/li]

[li]...Something about hating militarism - Need to work on that, but it needs to be said.[/li]

[li]something something about how "Nationalism" is bullshit. Perhaps something from Orwell's thing on Patriotism vs Nationalism.[/li]
    [li][/li]
    [/ul]

*A pro-life group was salty that they were formally excluded (as an organization, not as individuals) but their argument really just supports the decision to exclude them. It's one thing if they want to say "hey, we disagree with you on this one thing, but want to support most of these causes." But they seem hell-bent on calling the pro-choice movement baby-killers. I do think it's possible to be pro-life and pro-women (at least make a consistent argument in that direction) and I know some people who sincerely are, but I've not seen any politicians or notable pro-life groups actually take this stand. It's clear from their actual actions and votes that they're not actually very interested in supporting children or mothers, but simply passing moral judgement on women and making their lives harder.

Comment

Women's Marches -

I was hoping to put up a photo of a boy on the March with a sign saying

"What do we want?

Evidence based science!

When do we want it?

After peer review!"

But the bastard board ate the image.

Comment

Women's Marches -

So many excellent signs in Washington, but my favorites were
        "The KKK took my country away"
        ""It does not say RSVP on the Statue of Liberty'--Cher Horowitz"
        with picture of the Capitol: "Too many misters, not enough sisters" (and now I'm on the third day of a Flight of the Conchords earworm)

Comment

Women's Marches -

Eggchaser wrote: I was hoping to put up a photo of a boy on the March with a sign saying

"What do we want?

Evidence based science!

When do we want it?

After peer review!"

But the bastard board ate the image.
          That one also showed up a few years ago at the March for Sanity led by Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Needs to be on a shirt.

Comment

Women's Marches -

Comment

Women's Marches -

Internationalist Anglosphere expert Daniel Hannan reckoned the marches were dull because women's rights is so old hat. But apparently marching against protectionism is OK.

Comment

Women's Marches -

What's up with the Pink Hats? That's new. Maybe they'll reclaim Pink from the Breast Cancer "Awareness"-Industrial-Bullshit complex.

Comment

Women's Marches -

Pussy Hats

Comment

Women's Marches -

Thanks. I didn't want to google "pussy hat."

Comment

Working...
                    X