Records that contain speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently with only a work laptop - which is severely limited in what I can therefore access - it's bugging me like mad that Killing Joke's first album contained a song that was bookended with speech, but I'm damned if I can remember the song name or what the speech was.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: The second volume of Van Morrison's 'Best of' albums (which I actually prefer to the more famous 1990 first one with the hits on it) has 'Coney Island', in which all lyrics are spoken, and 'Rave On John Donne' [Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast 1983], with a long spoken verse.
      I'll add the lovely In The Days Before Rock'N'Roll to those two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2GpEoZrS04

Comment

Blur's Ernold Same starts off with Ken Livingstone talking about the mundanity of everyday life.

Ernold Same awoke from the same dream in the same bed at the same time
        Looked in the same mirror made the same frown
        And felt the same way as he did every day
        Then Ernold Same caught the same train at the same station
        Sat in the same seat with the same nasty stain next to same old what's his name
        On his way to the same place to do the same thing again and again and again
        Poor old Ernold Same

Comment

Misty morning, Albert Bridge.

(Without doubt, the best thing The Pogues ever recorded)

Comment

There's some pretentious nonsense at the beginning of one of the tracks on Bowie's Diamond Dogs album - 1984? I love Bowie but can't stand that album.

Comment

'Razzle In My Pocket' - Ian Dury. An old family favourite.

Comment

Roger McGuinn's erotic equine fantasies are recounted on Chestnut Mare by The Byrds.

Comment

A few more that have come into my head.

Tramp- Otis Redding & Carla Thomas. Boy oh boy does Otis get it both barrels for being “country”, not having a fat bankroll in his back pocket, wearing overalls and generally being a, well, tramp. He’s gonna need to shape up or ship out. Otis’s response that despite it all he’s a "lover" and "the only son of a gun this side of the sun" is entirely unconvincing. Carla wins this hands down.

Fitter Happier- Radiohead. Speak and Spell machine warbles about the lot of humanity in late capitalism.

The Stolen Child- The Waterboys. Tomás Mac Eoin reads excerpts from W.B Yeats “The Stolen Child."

I Am The Walrus- The Beatles:
                  "Oswald: Slave, thou hast slain me. Villain, take my purse.
                  If ever thou wilt thrive bury my body,
                  And give the letters which thou find'st about me
                  To Edmund, Earl of Gloucester; seek him out
                  Upon the British party. O, untimely Death!
                  Edgar: I know thee well: a serviceable villain;
                  As duteous to the vices of thy mistress
                  As badness would desire.
                  Gloucester: What, is he dead?
                  Edgar: Sit you down father, rest you."

A Spaceboy’s Dream- Belle and Sebastian. Stuart David whimsically dreams about going to Mars with his Dad and Sister.

A Century Of Elvis- Belle and Sebastian. Stuart David whimsically tells the story of a stray dog who visits his house.

I Hate Scotland- Ballboy. They don’t really.

Almost everything by Arab Strap.

Comment

Dark Avenger by Manowar

2:36 in - Orson Welles finest ever recording

Death to False Metal

Comment

I always dreamed the boy I love would come along,
                      And he'd be tall and handsome, rich and strong,
                      Now that boy I love is come to me
                      But he sure ain't the way I thought he'd be.

The Crystals — He's Sure the Boy I love

Hit it Darlene!

The Who — Dogs (Part 1)

I'll have ten shillings to win on Camera Flash, young man,
                      What dog's that? It's a deuce, look at it.

Girl, where's me wage packet ?
                      Ah, I'll put twenty-five knicker please on Gallop Printer,
                      Oh, I hope the wife don't find out,
                      Yes, it's sure to win, isn't it,
                      Yes, I know, it's a good dog, I saw it run at White City,
                      Just last week, broke the record, Gallop Printer,
                      Nice dog, yes, lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Comment

Typically Tropical's magnum opus "Barbados" has several passages of speech from the captain of Coconut Airways.

(I seem to recall the Vengaboys did a cover of this called "We're Going To Ibiza" but I have no desire to learn whether that contains any spoken parts)

Comment

longeared wrote: (I seem to recall the Vengaboys did a cover of this called "We're Going To Ibiza" but I have no desire to learn whether that contains any spoken parts)
                          Considering their rather limited vocal range, it might be hard to tell either way anyway. All I know about that cover is that they pronounce Ibiza in such a way that it sounds like they're about to eat pizza.

Comment

Bright Eyes' - At the Bottom of Everything

The scene for the song is set with a spoken word narration telling us about a young woman on a plane that is about to crash.

Comment

longeared wrote: Typically Tropical's magnum opus "Barbados" has several passages of speech from the captain of Coconut Airways.

(I seem to recall the Vengaboys did a cover of this called "We're Going To Ibiza" but I have no desire to learn whether that contains any spoken parts)
                              I remember my g/f at the time having a 'problem' with the singer of Typically Tropical, mainly because he seemed to be two-timing Mary-Jane (his squeeze in Barbados) with a girl called Sandy on the b-side. We were thirteen, you understand. (The Vengaboys' make-over of the song is indeed one of the most pointless recordings ever committed to plastic.)

On the subject of one-hit-wonder number ones from 1975 - there's always If by Telly Savalas. For the purposes of the thread, I mean. Not for anything else.

Comment

70s novelty records will be a rich vein here - not a number one but I'll throw in Car 67 by Driver 67.

Comment

Four pages and no William Shatner. Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.

Comment

...and when he visits his old Star Trek pal's grave, Shatner himself can't see 'DeForest' for the trees. (Sorry, that really was rubbish.)

Another seventies non-number one with a prominent spoken bit: Kiss and Say Goodbye by The Manhattans.

Comment

The entire lyrics to The Fall's "Symbol of Mordgan" consist of a conversation between John Peel and Craig Scanlon about Manchester City.

Comment

These are probably part of the sub-genre, "records that contain sampled speech," but the mighty Saxon's "Dallas 1 PM" has part of a contemporary news recording of the Kennedy assassination whilst "Civil War" by Guns 'n' Roses has a segment from "Cool Hand Luke". Axl also intones gravely "What's so civil about war, anyway?" to a sea of facepalms.

Oh, and I'll lob in Rush's 2112 and Cygnus X-1 while I'm at it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X