Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Records that contain speech

e.g. Parklife, Jilited John

I was wondering what is the earliest example of a song having a spoken part. The earliest I can think of are:

Whispering Grass - Ink Spots (1940)

Come Outside - Mike Sarne featuring Wendy Richard (1962)

"My mammy " al jolson at a guess

Comment

This one https://www.google.ro/amp/s/bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/sanskrit-first-words-recorded-on-a-gramophone-disk-were-from-the-rig-veda-whn/amp/?client=ms-android-om-lge

Comment

Hole In My Shoe - Traffic

All The Madmen - David Bowie (He followed me home Mummy – can I keep him?)

Revolution No.9 - The Beatles

Coda - Marine 475 - King Crimson

92 Degrees - Siouxsie & The Banshees

Manic Street Preachers - Yes

Manic Street Preachers - Ifwhiteamericacouldtellthetruthonedayitsworldwould fallapart

Manic Street Preachers - Of Walking Abortion

Manic Street Preachers - Archives Of Pain

Manic Street Preachers - 4st 7lb

Several more on the Holy Bible album but I've lost the will to list them all

Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen - pretty much everything

Comment

The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds

edit: oh, earliest. Well nevermind then.

Comment

Just about everything The Shangri-las ever recorded.

Comment

One that's been in my mind recently - because it would be a good question to ask of Trump - is the exercpt In REM's Exhuming McCarthy from the exchange between Joseph Welch and Senator McCarthy, where Welch asks, 'have you no sense of decency sir?'

Comment

There are loads of them, of course, so I'll go for my three favourites:

• Ink Spots - Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall ("Into each and every life, some rain has got to fall -- but too much of that stuff is falling into mine [...] but some day that sun is bound to shine."). Honorary mention also for the spoke bit in "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire"

Skeeter Davis - The End Of The World

• Isaac Hayes - I Stand Accused. That's not an interlude, though, but a soliloquy. Oh, but when he then starts singing the title line.... The original had nothing like that at all, but Ike had a way of completely reworking songs. Obviously an honorary mention for "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", the spoken bit of which is longer than the journey itself.

I also like to do the "Green, Green Grass Of Home" interlude in Tom Jones' iteration, which he lifted from Porter Wagoner's version (country, of course, being a rich source of spoken interludes), and Elvis' "Are You Lonesome Tonight".

Comment

Along the same lines as jameswba, the epilogue spoken by the child on The Nice's America.

“America is pregnant with promise and anticipation, but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable”

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Along the same lines as jameswba, the epilogue spoken by the child on The Nice's America.

“America is pregnant with promise and anticipation, but is murdered by the hand of the inevitable”
                    I've only ever heard the live version, where those words are spoken by Lee Jackson. It makes me cringe with embarrassment every time I hear it.

Comment

It's better with the kid. Partly because he/she doesn't quite get the words right — or understand them.

Comment

Cringeworthy spoken bits: Donovan's "Atlantis". The sung part is really good, but that spoken intro...

Comment

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

from Gil Scott-Heron, "The Godfather of rap".

(whose father was Gil Heron, considered to be the first Black player to play for Celtic, even if that is moot. He was anyhow, as Brian Wilson wrote in the Guardian, "the first black player to capture the imagination of Scottish football fans").

Comment

The old German record Terry Wogan used to play when I was young.

When the Lighthouse Shines Across the Bay?

Edit: Turns out it was Conrad Veidt in 1933. YouTube link

Comment

Lenka Clayton - Qaeda Quality Question Quickly Quickly Quiet

I actually own that. Probably one of the weirdest records I do own. It is George W Bush's 2002 State of the Union address. Cut into alphabetical order.

Comment

Johnny Mathis - A Child s Born

Somthing lie

"And all of this happens because the world is waiting,
                                Waiting for one child
                                he might be Black, white,or yellow, no-one knows
                                But a child that will grow up and turn tears to laughter,
                                Hate to love, war to peace and everyone to everyone's neighbour
                                And misery and suffering will be words to be forgotten, forever"

Notice Mathis doesn't include the possibility of him being orange.

Comment

12" version of Wah! - Story Of The Blues

ABC - Look Of Love

Comment

Since this seems to have changed tack already, I'll irritatingly morph it once again to 'records that contain a speech':

Above the Clouds - Gang Starr (JFK)
                                    American Dream - Bobby Womack (MLK)
                                    Come Together - Primal Scream (Jesse Jackson)
                                    Hope - Vicetone (Barack Obama)
                                    No Sell Out - Keith LeBlanc (Malcolm X)
                                    Reverend Black Grape - Black Grape (Adolf Hitler)
                                    The Stonk - Hale & Pace (George Bush)

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                                      I hate you for reminding me that this song exists.

Comment

Thomas Dolby dissing Bedfordshire in the fadeout of 'White City'.

Comment

The start of "Twilight Of A Champion".

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Jah Womble
                                            I hate you for reminding me that this song exists.
                                            I hate myself for reminding myself that they exist.

Comment

Much as I adore them, St. Etienne are serial offenders in this field. Finisterre is a beautiful song, but the talkie bit is a bit cringeworthy.

There's even a Donovan mention.

Comment

The one in Pandora's Box is so narmy (not helped by the weird echoey vocal effect, I think), it almost puts Andy's dad dancing to shame.

Comment

There is a song on one of the Compilations i have, some Ambient Collection, Name escapes me. This track consists lyrically of an elderly Russians wheezy monologue. Sorry very vague any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X