RIP WIlliam Onyeabor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP WIlliam Onyeabor

The Nigerian synth-funk pioneer that turned his back on music in the 1980s has passed away. Before that, he was writing, recording, and even pressing his albums all on his own out of a home studio. Listen to some of his music to brighten your day.

Fantastic Man

Love Is Blind

Atomic Bomb

RIP WIlliam Onyeabor

Well this shouldn't be a nil thread. Fantastic Man is my favourite I think, but they're all great.

Comment

RIP WIlliam Onyeabor

I need to ask this question, as it's been nagging away for a while. Is/was William Onyeabor real or an elaborate fake?I've seen the film ''Fantastic Man'' and it's full of earnest Westerners discussing hearing the music for the first time. But I can't find any history pre-2005. Was he real - any African heads out there that can confirm his identity?

Comment

RIP WIlliam Onyeabor

Europe; Moscow; semolina; Industrialist of the Year - I haven't read any autobiographies of the chap, but he seems to have led quite a life. Once again, religion ruined everything, though.

Comment

RIP WIlliam Onyeabor

That's it though, Clive - it's all too pat. Reclusive genius, Soviet cinematographer; successful semolina businessman; Damon Albarn and a whole load of hipster interest. It's all balls, isn't it? Or am I just missing the joke?

Comment

Working...
          X