No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a stronger economy, delivering first class public services, building the homes that families need.
    Hahaha. Are those the things they've picked? GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Comment

If she snarks at Corbyn about his leadership vote, he should tell her to write that in a letter to Michel Barnier, see how much it helps Brexit.

Comment

She did that around that day about a month back when it looked like the government might collapse at any moment; every single interview or statement she gave made an early and pronounced reference to the word "jobs" as if to attempt to appeal to Corbyn.

Comment

So it's a defence mechanism then, thanks. Lucy, it wouldn't matter what they picked, it's all become joke.

Comment

Corbyn had a lot less leverage in his leadership vote, like MPs being on the govt payroll. I think May won because the alternative was definite economic collapse rather than still a slight chance to reduce the damage.

However Corbyn will be under pressure to support the deal in January otherwise he would be voting for No Deal Brexit by default, whereas by voting for the deal he can say he saved the country from total collapse because May couldn't, even though he'd have got a better deal as PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
              They come out with stuff like that sometimes, get generous "tanks on Labour's lawn" headlines and forget about them.
              I believe that this is the third or fourth time that Theresa has come over all Clement Atlee. It reminds me of thatcher quoting francis of Assisi.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GermanyonBrexit/status/1072862758507438080

Comment

So what should be Corbyn's strategy from here?

Comment

It will be interesting to see just how much no-deal planning the EU has been doing quietly in the background. There's a lot of regulatory changes to draft.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                      I believe that this is the third or fourth time that Theresa has come over all Clement Atlee. It reminds me of thatcher quoting francis of Assisi.
                      i reversed the order of "over" and "all" when reading that quickly

the resulting image will take years to wipe from my memory

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        So what should be Corbyn's strategy from here?
                        cyber physical systems and smart factories

Comment

Even on a day like today, the focus can still be turned into blaming Corbyn.

Comment

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Probably laugh manically before crying, or summat.

Fucking shower of shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              Even on a day like today, the focus can still be turned into blaming Corbyn.
                              The person with the most power to stop the current clusterfuck (who might have any desire to stop it) is the obvious person to turn to in the hope that they try and stop the current clusterfuck.

I understand that he doesn't have much power to stop it, but he has more than anybody else. So that's where people focus.

Comment

I don’t blame Corbyn for today, except insofar as (and this is really a side issue of minor historical significance, but aren’t those the best kind) his example has made it easier for embattled leaders to legitimately hang on.

It’s not that he set out to do that, of course. But it’s an interesting byproduct.
                                Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 12-12-2018, 23:01.

Comment

So what should Corbyn do, SB?

Comment

Fucking John Crace with his fucking Maybot lines. Get a second joke, John.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      The Tories do this all the time when the spotlight is on, like Thatcher saying in 1987 that "we really must do something about the inner cities" when what she really meant was "we really must fuck everyone over with the poll tax".

Comment

What I want Corbyn to do is to make the case for the 48% of us, to argue our point and try and convince others. But it's not really what I want him to do - I'm just explaining why the focus is on him: he's got more power than anybody else to make the case that at least staying in some EEA/EFTA like arrangement with free movement is going to be better for Britain, better for Britain's economy, better for EU citizens in Britain, better for British citizens in the EU, better for the principle of freedom. Instead, what I've heard is wishy-washy nonsense and talk about May not having "negotiated a better backstop" as if that were even possible without an FoM/EEA type arrangement.

Comment

The only way that we are going to be able to fumble our way towards some sort of reality based solution, is if at least one of the parties involved starts to base its brexit strategy in the reality based world. and gets those ideas into mainstream circulation. It would be nice if it were to be labour that were doing that. Labour can't attack May for the untenable and fantastic nature of her brexit strategy, because their's is barely any more realistic.

Comment

A CU is fairly realistic, I'd have thought. Labour's been arguing for that for a while.

Starmer knows what he's doing, I trust him to get something 'better' - it's all relative - than May. But I think - as I suggested about 200 pages ago - that there's enough kicking of the can that we'll not be leaving anyway; or, if we do, it'll be the 'softest' possible Brexit then a manifesto commitment to apply to rejoin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                              I don’t blame Corbyn for today, except insofar as (and this is really a side issue of minor historical significance, but aren’t those the best kind) his example has made it easier for embattled leaders to legitimately hang on.

It’s not that he set out to do that, of course. But it’s an interesting byproduct.
                                              She also probably got the idea that it is possible to face down a small bunch of MPs who are well-connected with the media. Though probably missed the bit that said "as long as you connect with the public".

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                                Starmer knows what he's doing, I trust him to get something 'better' - it's all relative - than May.
                                                That EU Parliament statement gave that bit away.

The Conference reconfirmed its view that the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration are fair and balanced and represent, given EU principles, current UK red lines and the commitments set out in the Good Friday Agreement,
                                                I've bolded the relevant bit. It is May who has hemmed herself in with her absolute basic red line of NO FORRINS.

Of course Starmer couldn't get a better deal than what we have now but at least he wouldn't go to the negotiating table having broken his own legs first.

Comment

Well he could get a better deal if he didn;t have the red lines. Which, we have to assume he wouldn't have

Comment

Brexit debate in January.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X