The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    That DD article rather buries the news that Davis is happy to fuck over Ireland/NI.

See you in 10 years, I guess.

Meanwhile, in other "no deal is better than a bad deal" news...
    On the upside, our NI brethren may get to vote for Irish MEPs ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...histle-remarks

Comment

Redwood pushing the Mugabe/ Maduro line that the problem is people at home helping the foreigners.

He also made a title of himself by saying he was pleased no EU governments were calling for tariffs on the UK. They don't have to call for them. We know the score. And national governments are working through the EU anyway.

How did this fool ever get in the Cabinet?

Comment

Local rag in Cambridgeshire reports problems recruiting grad students.

It's going swimmingly, isn't it? Wasn't the hit to science predicted by "Project Fear"?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
          How did this fool ever get in the Cabinet?
          The same way as all the other fools in the cabinet, and all the cabinets before this one.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
            The same way as all the other fools in the cabinet, and all the cabinets before this one.
            Fair point. I suppose Peter Lilley was in with him.

Row over who gets repatriated powers from the EU- Westminster or the devolved parliaments. David Mundell isn't sure what will definitely devolved but "hill farming" will be. If I were Sturgeon or Carwyn Jones, I might pass on that. All those Tory MPs in rural areas can take the heat when New Zealand lamb puts their base out of business. Monmouthshire Brexit loon David T C Davies can explain it. And Glyn Davis in Montgomeryshire, and David Jones.

Comment

Agri and fisheries are devolved powers. Granting "hill farming" means the rest of the agri sector (the powerful, profitable bits) are going to become reserved. Scum sucking maggots.

Comment

All those new Scottish Tory MPs have probably drafted their letters already. "Sorry about the farm. I sympathize but this is devolved, so the SNP's fault. They talk about independence instead of helping farmers like you."

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  Agri and fisheries are devolved powers. Granting "hill farming" means the rest of the agri sector (the powerful, profitable bits) are going to become reserved. Scum sucking maggots.
                  I might have got this the wrong way round. I thought Mundell said hill farming was coming to Holyrood.

Might not be so profitable. After we do those trade deals, like. Though I don't underestimate those hard as nails Cheviot sheep.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                    Though I don't underestimate those hard as nails Cheviot sheep.

Comment

I meant the profitable bits being lowland arable and livestock farming. The fuckers want to keep that reserved, for y'know common regulatory standards. These BritNat fuckers in charge, fucking Japan will be legally selling Scotch, hormone beef from Arkansas will be labelled Aberdeen Angus Scotch beef. There's a perfectly good framework in place, if we follow EU regulatory standards in all 4 bits of Britain. Then the cunting stuff can stay devolved. And these powers have been explicitly devolved in total to Scotland since 1999 (but bound by EU law). They are removing powers from the statelets, simple as that. Fucking teuchter Dorics and borders cunts can choke on their own Tory stew.
                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-07-2017, 19:38.

Comment

Ah, sorry. I got that the wrong way round.

Comment

I don't know if the Tories could throw their farming base to the winds of a global deal like that for stuff consumers don't even want. I wonder if they'll just sign a very limited deal for appearance sake, because that's all they're getting without farming. Trade deals are economic slow burners.

Same with India. "No visas, Britain? You can have a deal on paper clips and toliet roll holders. You want to see what the EU have in their deal". But the Tories would get some "global Britain" short term kudos with their supporters.

Comment

You have an alarming amount of faith in the competence and clear thinking of this Govt. They were about to throw their Boomer-pensioner base under a bus for five minutes till they managed to get May away from Nick Timothy long enough.

Comment

I'm assuming May is spending more time with her board room by then. I don't think anyone else is going to do that sort of thing lightly. All PMs have a phase where they feel confident enough to go off piste. They've usually got someone to stop them.

Cameron did when he was in his "vote blue go green" phase. He had Zach Goldsmith knock up some proposal, like charging for supermarket parking. Andy Coulson talked him out of it.

Comment

The Standard refers to (prospective aide to David David) Stewart Jackson as "Wacko Jacko". Modestly attributes it to civil servants.

New minister Steve Baker's nickname isn't known yet.

Comment

Steve Baker. He's a mentalist, no?

And a man with colorful backers.

Comment

That's the one.

Have you heard of Joyce Anelay? I've just learnt she's the minister in the Lords. She's been tasked with giving a big hint we're paying up on the Brexit bill.

Comment

Davis whistles a different tune.

I know this has been said a million times before, but surely Boris's position is untenable at this point. It's not like May just has to keep the Brexiteers on board now, and BoJo is making the government look even more confused and incompetent than it is, never mind needlessly pissing off the people we're negotiating with.

Comment

If she sacks him, he can snipe from the backbenches and his mates in the Press, can't he? That would give him a free rein to take a run at the leadership, when that inevitably happens.

Comment

So, you can either fly to Turkey or Jersey unless the Open Skies Agreement is sorted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...nded-aviation/

Comment

Johnson doesn't even support Brexit. Very transparent move to boost his standing in his party. He's fucking up spectacularly now, and probably wishes he'd not taken a department. Something like the old Tory chairman job would have been better.

I give him about 6 months then off to write hilarious "Englishman Abroad" memoirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                              So, you can either fly to Turkey or Jersey unless the Open Skies Agreement is sorted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...nded-aviation/
                                              You can be sure that the airports in Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Dublin, Madrid and Copenhagen have their eyes on Heathrow traffic.

Comment

Wake up, Schiphol!

Comment

Schiphol is operating beyond capacity and is in the middle of an urban area.

But a new runway is being built in Dublin and Aer Lingus is now owned by British Airway's parent company, IAG. So some opportunity there...

Dublin a pretty handy location for funnelling passengers from the US into Europe. It could have been one of the most important airports in Europe but Aer Lingus and the Irish government phenomenally mismanaged Ireland's geographical advantage throughout the decades. Parish pump politics meant that transatlantic planes flying into Dublin were forced to schedule a stopover in Shannon, and Aer Lingus used to be a real jobs for the boys operation.
                                                  Last edited by anton pulisov; 14-07-2017, 15:37.

Comment

Brilliant, N est a

Comment

Working...
                                                    X