No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Union bosses are very much like the pigs in Animal Farm, aren't they.

Comment

He does some good work, and I'm glad he beat that other Kipper goon. But I don't find him all that convincing in his wider "political" role.

Comment

https://twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1043818237505540096

Comment

I mean, sure, but any more than going into government with the fucking DUP?

Comment

He has a Nordie sounding name to be fair (though the actual Raab is in Hungary)

Comment

This is reportedly the compromise Brexit motion planned for the Labour conference:

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1043963266400223232/photo/1

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                This is reportedly the compromise Brexit motion planned for the Labour conference:

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1043963266400223232/photo/1
                On first look, seems OK...

Comment

Yes, the only woolly aspect is the final sentence - would that mean the final deal vs a crash out Brexit, or is Remain a potential option?

Comment

I think it leaves it open.

Comment

Meanwhile, the Tories are edging towards Canada, which would still leave NI unresolved:

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1043967080847089664

Comment

Not to mention the chucking away of GDP. It's much closer to WTO option than to Norway in economic terms.

"Canada option" is just mentioned because it sounds Anglo-Saxon, isn't it? Like "Australian points system". If it were called the "South Korea option", the government wouldn't be so keen.
                        Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 23-09-2018, 22:21.

Comment

I'm still curious as to what the "Canada option" means. If it refers to the Canada/EU deal that was for goods only. Services, including financial services, aren't included. Has this been discussed anywhere, or am I just misinterpreting things?

Comment

No, DR I'm pretty sure that Canada is only an option if the UK does exactly what the EU wants with respect to the Back stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                              I'm still curious as to what the "Canada option" means. If it refers to the Canada/EU deal that was for goods only. Services, including financial services, aren't included. Has this been discussed anywhere, or am I just misinterpreting things?
                              Yes. That's what it means. Lets not think what that means for food supply or the unsustainability of Customs.....

Comment

The advocates of it generally say they want Canada+ but that is about as far as their recognition of this goes.

Comment

I'm sure most people have very little idea of what the Canada, Norway or indeed Switzerland options actually entail.

"Most people" includes me.

Comment

It used to be 'Canada+++' so perhaps that's progress of sorts

Comment

https://twitter.com/bbcr4today/status/1044124452710219776

Comment

Tubbs, I reckon 'south korea option' would go down very well indeed among a certain strata. Tremendously hard worker, the korean. National service unless you win the world cup. Half their kids top themselves through exam stress. Sensible policies for a brighter britain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          I'm sure most people have very little idea of what the Canada, Norway or indeed Switzerland options actually entail.

"Most people" includes me.
                                          I'll try, hopefully I haven't mucked this up too much.

Canada: free trade in goods, not services, although there's mutual recognition of qualifications in some professions and it's easier to transfer staff from Canada to the EU and vice versa.

Norway: membership of the European Economic Area. Means you accept the four freedoms (free movement of goods, services, capital and labour) although you aren't signed up to all of the EU's particular treaties such as the common agricultural or fisheries policy, which is a big reason Norway and Iceland haven't joined the EU. You get some ability to advise on EU legislation but obviously no actual vote. Norway isn't in EURATOM or the customs union.

Switzerland: broadly similar to Norway in practice, except they're members of the European Free Trade Area (which all EEA and EU members are in) and not the EEA. Swiss incorporation of EU law is largely painstakingly negotiated via treaties, of which there are over 100 negotiated since the original free trade agreement in 1972.

Both Norway and Switzerland pay into the EU budget.

Comment

Didn't he also suggest that remaining in the EU wouldn't actually be an option?

Comment

Now the IEA's having a go. Is this the ERG plan that got spiked or something else? It's certainly got ERG backing. The plan seems basically to be "throw a tantrum".
                                              It is not possible to lay out all the required steps, but an effective strategy
                                              is only possible once the customs union or any variant of it (such as the
                                              Facilitated Customs Arrangement (FCA) set out in the White Paper or its
                                              predecessor the New Customs Partnership (NCP)) is off the table.
                                              • If the EU does not cooperate with serious UK proposals,
                                              the UK should move to a more aggressive footing; if the EU
                                              refuses to recognise UK regulations on day one of Brexit,
                                              the UK should be prepared to take action in the WTO for
                                              violations of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade
                                              (the GATT) and the Agreements on Technical Barriers to
                                              Trade (TBT Agreement) and Sanitary and Phytosantiary
                                              Measures (SPS Agreement).
                                              • In the event of no agreement, the UK could elect not to
                                              impose checks on goods trade at the Irish border, and apply
                                              zero tariffs on agri-food, on an MFN basis for all imports,
                                              and selectively reduce and eliminate tariffs on other goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                                Didn't he also suggest that remaining in the EU wouldn't actually be an option?
                                                He did, though it won't actually be up to him.

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been trying to get clarity from the Peoples Vote leading campaigners as to what the vote options would be, it's amazing how coy they've been. I think it's backfired slightly, they should have been going for 'Remain vs the Deal' only (cos I'm sure that's what they actually want) and strongly argued for it and how it could be achieved in the timetable.

Comment

The IEA really, really hates chemicals regulations, it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                                    He did, though it won't actually be up to him.

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been trying to get clarity from the Peoples Vote leading campaigners as to what the vote options would be, it's amazing how coy they've been. I think it's backfired slightly, they should have been going for 'Remain vs the Deal' only (cos I'm sure that's what they actually want) and strongly argued for it and how it could be achieved in the timetable.
                                                    That's a good point. I'd not looked too closely at "People's Vote"- assumed that it was a vote to Remain, and that's what its opponents assume. But you're right, it isn't clear at all. So Labour have bowed to a principle of a referendum, like People's Vote were trying to establish.

McDonnell won't decide what's in a referendum, but he'd be (I'd hope) a major figure in a campaign. If there's a Remain referendum, he'll be spending every the first five minutes of every interview answering "You don't even think this referendum should be happening, do you?" I don't know why he's going so hard on this. I don't see why "we will do whatever we need to save us from Tory shit" isn't the line.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X